Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 AM

106 posts, read 337,540 times

Advertisements

We bought a new model home in Naples and are planning to move in September of this year.The home now is currently being leased back to be shown. What are the best beaches in SW Florida in your opinion? Is there a Lover's Beach up near Sarasota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 23,963 times
No, I'm pretty sure Lovers Key is in Ft. Myers... its really not a good "beach" Its more of a nature park with water.... really NOTHING special. I would go to any beach in Naples. I like Barefoot beach which is in N Naples. And really, why would you travel two hours to go to a beach when you have miles of it in your own back yard?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Because we really have not explored much of Naples. That is why I am reaching out for ideas. Thanks for Barefoot Beach suggestion. We would like to check out some of the best beaches along the Gulf. We have friends up north where we can stay and not return the same day.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Siesta Beach is usually rated as one of the top beaches in the world. What are you looking for in a beach. If you're looking for power white sand then I'd say Siesta. If your looking for shells, I'd look more in the Sanibel area. If you're looking for sharks teeth go to Venice Beach. If you're looking for more waves go to the east coast of Florida.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:34 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,681 times
Clam Pass is nice, Lover's Key is in Fort Myers, which is not too far away. Sanibel has great beaches, but might be very crowded this time of year, I don't usually go there in season. Lots of families with small children like Lowdermilk Park right on Gulfshore. If you like fishing, lots of people like the pier which is right downtown. Just remember, likely to be crowded, its the height of season

Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Good recommendations, thanks. No thanks to the east coast.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Default Shelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Siesta Beach is usually rated as one of the top beaches in the world. What are you looking for in a beach. If you're looking for power white sand then I'd say Siesta. If your looking for shells, I'd look more in the Sanibel area. If you're looking for sharks teeth go to Venice Beach. If you're looking for more waves go to the east coast of Florida.
we were just up at north end of Sanibel, park just at the Captiva gap, then walk north. Shells 2 inches deep.

Lighthouse museum and beach at tip of Boca Grande was nice. Check out the small tourist downtown and the Gasparilla Inn for lunch.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
Because we really have not explored much of Naples. That is why I am reaching out for ideas. Thanks for Barefoot Beach suggestion. We would like to check out some of the best beaches along the Gulf. We have friends up north where we can stay and not return the same day.
If you are a dog person, the dog beach at lovers key is special. If you want a special beach and a special drive, Bahia Honda, just north of Key West.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM

63 posts, read 248,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug View Post
No, I'm pretty sure Lovers Key is in Ft. Myers... its really not a good "beach" Its more of a nature park with water.... really NOTHING special. I would go to any beach in Naples. I like Barefoot beach which is in N Naples. And really, why would you travel two hours to go to a beach when you have miles of it in your own back yard?
800,000 to a million per year visit Lover's Key therefore I would think a lot of people may disagree with you. Although it has a lot of visitors it is a long beach and you can find plenty of room to be away from others. It also has ranked on top 10 lists as has Barefoot Beach.

It is not in Fort Myers. If you take Bonita Beach Road westbound it becomes Hickory Blvd. Follow north through Bonita Beach and past both the Big Carlos and New Pass bridges. You will see the signs for entering the park. It is just north of the Bonita Springs City line and would be considered Fort Myers Beach. It is only about 10 minutes north of Barefoot Beach.

Main Page - Lovers Key State Park » Florida State Parks

Barefoot is also nice. To get to Barefoot Beach you also go west on Bonita Beach Road. After you go over the little bridge to the island it is at the first light on the left.

Collier County : Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park

Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug View Post
I like Barefoot beach which is in N Naples.
Yes, I agree! Very nice beach.

Barefoot Beach is in Bonita Springs, although it is in Collier County.

Edit: Oops! Just saw Jim's post above. Guess I won't post a comment about Lover's Key now!

If you live in Naples, you can get a beach sticker for Barefoot & all Collier County parks. Otherwise you might have to pay $6 to enter the parking lot by car.

Another nice beach in Lee County is Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island. However, there's no reason for anyone living in Naples or Bonita to travel all the way there.

There are no beaches that I know of with mountains in Florida. So I can't recommend them to you. Seriously, the most beautiful beach I've ever seen was in Hawaii, but I like the Gulf of Mexico much better, since it's a lot safer. (as long as you use common sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
If you want a special beach and a special drive, Bahia Honda, just north of Key West.
Hmm. That's what I used to think, but it's been several years since I've been there. The problem is that there is no surf whatsoever and it takes forever to walk out far enough to cover your waist. I remember Jimmy Buffet talking about the beaches on the Keys. It's vague in my mind, but he told a story about a man who tried to commit suicide by drowning himself, but couldn't because he kept walking & walking & walking & walking until he got exhausted and turned around. (I'm probably not telling it exactly right, but you get the picture!)

Last edited by justNancy; 02-02-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area