Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse Lover View Post
Like all cities each of them have problems, although while doing research for a book I am working on I got to look at Ft. Myers through the eyes of a tourist. Ft. Myers and Sanibel/Captiva area have so much beauty to offer both residents and guests. Everything from sandy white beaches, a shell lovers paradise to historic places to visit. Focus on the good things in the area, not the bad.***MOD CUT***
Never going to happen, so sad to say, there are people on this forum that SO hate the area that nothing is good about it to them, eventho there soooo many place that are much much worse (Like south Chicago for just one example) without the great weather, beauty, beaches and lower cost of living...the negitives will not give it up, which is not fair to the new visiters here that are looking for real info.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-27-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse Lover View Post
Like all cities each of them have problems, although while doing research for a book I am working on I got to look at Ft. Myers through the eyes of a tourist. Ft. Myers and Sanibel/Captiva area have so much beauty to offer both residents and guests. Everything from sandy white beaches, a shell lovers paradise to historic places to visit. Focus on the good things in the area, not the bad. ***MOD CUT***
Happy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, joy.

I forget, How many time do I click my heals together to have my old life back?

Did anyone else see this woman's post as a shameless plug for her website and book?

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-27-2009 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: took out website

Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Happy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, joy.

I forget, How many time do I click my heals together to have my old life back?

Did anyone else see this woman's post as a shameless plug for her website and book?
Yep. Selling the travel book. It's against the TOS, but whatever.

This is the same old stuff, ad nauseum.

It's a relocation forum and people want to hear the good and the bad. Otherwise, what's the point? To raise people's property values?

My husband is from Chicago. Berwyn and Cicero. When they first moved to swFlorida in the early 80s they moved to Crime Manor and thought it was okay. Of course, things have become much worse, over the years.

I moved from a very nice town of about 14,000 people in New England, where there was very little crime.

So obviously, your mileage may vary.

Do I think Cape Coral is a ghetto? No. Do I think downtown is right next to the ghetto? Yes. Would I wish Lehigh Acres on my worst enemy? No. Do I think parts of San Carlos Park are sketchy? Yes. Do I think Three Oaks is a great subdivision? Yes. Do I think that Passeo looks really neat? Yes. Do I really, really like Estero? Yes.

But once again, if we have to compare swFlorida with a big-city northern ghetto in order to get positive results, it is a gigantic red flag. But the fact that the crime index for Fort Myers is worse than it is for Chicago is a stunner.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Default seperating opinions from facts

Now mind you this is comparing first half of 2009 to 2008. 2008 had a 10% decrease in crimes compared to 2007. So when you read posts saying crime is getting worse it just isn't true. And the three murders as I recall they were not random. One was a boyfriend killing girlfriend. one was a girlfriend killing boyfriend, and the other was a "debt collection".
http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.c....html?nav=5011

Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Now mind you this is comparing first half of 2009 to 2008. 2008 had a 10% decrease in crimes compared to 2007. So when you read posts saying crime is getting worse it just isn't true. And the three murders as I recall they were not random. One was a boyfriend killing girlfriend. one was a girlfriend killing boyfriend, and the other was a "debt collection".
Hefty drop in Cape crime numbers - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze
That's good. I checked the reports at FDLE. Even Fort Myers crime is down. What the heck is going on with Sanibel?

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...cipal_Off.aspx

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...008annual.aspx

Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
I check the News-Press crime report all the time and nearly all of the crime is non violent.Lots of drug and burgalry arrests...OUI's and so forth.Hardly ever a violent drime against a stranger.Checking out the google map....seems like all the criminals live north of Colonial,east of Mcgreggor,west of Ortiz.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,802 times
i am thinking of moving from ohio to florida with my 12yo son. want a safe place with good schools any advice?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 AM

37 posts, read 93,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's good. I checked the reports at FDLE. Even Fort Myers crime is down. What the heck is going on with Sanibel?
Curious, what do you mean by this question? Is there an increase in crime on Sanibel?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,042 times
My Hubby and I were in Tampa a couple of weeks ago for a conference, and took a long awaited trip to Sanibel for a couple of days. While driving through Ft Myers, and area, we made a decision to seriously look at moving south....We live in the Central prairie area of Canada - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to be exact.

I have been looking around online at property, and information and stumbled on this forum today - great place. But I have been rather concerned at the crime stats for some of the different areas, and wanted to compare my "safe" little city to some of these stats....Wow, if our stats are measured the same way, I'm moving out tomorrow! Saskatoon's violent crime per 100,000 is 1606!!!! Yikes! I'm outta here!! :-O

Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh? View Post
My Hubby and I were in Tampa a couple of weeks ago for a conference, and took a long awaited trip to Sanibel for a couple of days. While driving through Ft Myers, and area, we made a decision to seriously look at moving south....We live in the Central prairie area of Canada - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to be exact.

I have been looking around online at property, and information and stumbled on this forum today - great place. But I have been rather concerned at the crime stats for some of the different areas, and wanted to compare my "safe" little city to some of these stats....Wow, if our stats are measured the same way, I'm moving out tomorrow! Saskatoon's violent crime per 100,000 is 1606!!!! Yikes! I'm outta here!! :-O
I don't know. There is a very good chance that Canada measures their crime very differently. Find out if they count every charge during one incident or not. It can really, really jack up the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area