Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamex View Post
But most of the transplants are from NY.
You know, when you say that most of the transplants are from NY think again.

Most of the SW Florida transplants are from Michigan. Look at the license plates next time you are out and about. Michigan plates everywhere.
Does that mean the Michigan folks brought all the crime?
Don't go blaming the New Yorker's. I am tired of hearing that NY folks are rude and loud. People need to lighten up. At least NY people have a sense of humor and know how to have fun. More than I can say for some other people from other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM

91 posts, read 152,002 times
and in fact, i figured that any drug runners that tried to ship their drugs to the west side of florida would almost certainly ground and bust up their boats on the coral reefs!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsunshine View Post
Fort Myers certainly always looks to have a high crime rate as opposed to other parts of SW Florida. There's no way that the crime is higher than Chicago. That's ludicrous.
basically, it was the crime rate per 100,000 people that i used. i mean, true, in 2004, fort myers reported 15 murders while chicago reported 449 murders, but the thing is, fort myers is between 50 and 60 thousand people while chicago is 2.8 million. to be honest, i figured that 90 percent of florida's crime was in miami, and in fact, the only other place that was shown to be worse than fort myers is opa locka. i mean, i thought southwest florida was quiet and peaceful, and shielded from drug runners by the coral reefs in the keys. as far as i know, anyone who tries to smuggle drugs to southwest florida would end up busting up and sinking their boats on the coral reefs and losing all of their drugs to the bottom of the florida straits.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM

251 posts, read 885,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
aw man!!! don't tell me that the ENTIRE FLORIDA PENINSULA is about to turn into a no man's land!!! there's GOTTA be at least some quiet areas in south florida!!!
They will all be quiet after the insurance rates run everyone out of Florida....Don't try and start a small business here the rates for insurance are going up 610% to 969%!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a good article to read:
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/17/St...seek_rec.shtml

Old 11-29-2006, 06:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Dunbar, Pine Manor...gawd, the place is awful. I always feel bad for the Red Sox fans that attend spring break. They are looking for a decent hotel in the area. Good luck. The stadium is in an awful part of town.

Part of the problem is the cops. Finally, the FM cops ran the Lee County cops out of Dunbar. Really tried to clean it up. I don't know if they are having much luck. But Pine Manor is a nightmare. And Lee County does nothing.

Parts of Bonita Springs and Naples are not great, either. You have the very rich bumping up against the druggies. Always a bad combination.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:00 AM

42 posts, read 254,383 times
I see what you're saying as far as the numbers.

Fort Myers has LONG been known as a drug runners paradise. It's just kept hush-hush.

Quote:
basically, it was the crime rate per 100,000 people that i used. i mean, true, in 2004, fort myers reported 15 murders while chicago reported 449 murders, but the thing is, fort myers is between 50 and 60 thousand people while chicago is 2.8 million. to be honest, i figured that 90 percent of florida's crime was in miami, and in fact, the only other place that was shown to be worse than fort myers is opa locka. i mean, i thought southwest florida was quiet and peaceful, and shielded from drug runners by the coral reefs in the keys. as far as i know, anyone who tries to smuggle drugs to southwest florida would end up busting up and sinking their boats on the coral reefs and losing all of their drugs to the bottom of the florida straits.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM

i thought MIAMI was the drug capital of florida and the drug runner's paradise!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:51 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
Default Not true

Quote:
i just recently surfed a website that compares crime in various cities, and was shocked to see it showing higher violent crime rates in fort myers than in chicago. anyone who lives in fort myers and has any thoughts and/or opinions about this, please come forward!
I was born in Chicago, lived there until I was about 15 than moved to Roselle (western suburb). I have lived in south Miami by Eureka and 137 ave for seven years and have NEVER had anything stolen. My home has never been broken into or cars vandelized. In all cities there is crime and I have not been subjected to it and do NOT live an issolated life. I have three teenage boys and they have never been been victims to any violence. I cannot beleive that we are the ONLY exception to Florida. I guess for fear of news we could all live in a bubble. Good Luck.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
I was born in Chicago, lived there until I was about 15 than moved to Roselle (western suburb). I have lived in south Miami by Eureka and 137 ave for seven years and have NEVER had anything stolen. My home has never been broken into or cars vandelized. In all cities there is crime and I have not been subjected to it and do NOT live an issolated life. I have three teenage boys and they have never been been victims to any violence. I cannot beleive that we are the ONLY exception to Florida. I guess for fear of news we could all live in a bubble. Good Luck.
do you live near kendall or coral gables or anything? i mean, one area in miami-dade that i KNOW is VERY dangerous is opa locka. and i also read that areas like little haiti, little havana, and liberty city are rather crime infested also.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
Default Also from Chicago Area

Moved about 8 years ago to St. Petersburg and loved it for 5 years. Moved down to Ft. Myers with fiance 3 years ago and absolutely disgusted by the lack of good jobs, housing costs, quality of people, and YES crime. I thought everything would be the same, that it was only going to be a change in geography. Wow, was I ever wrong. Higher housing costs and pay rates half that of Tampa Bay, which by the way is comparable to what I made in Chicago. Fort Myers, Lehigh Acres, Cape Coral, the SW FL coast is not the place to plan to settle. I am going back to Tampa Bay first chance I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area