Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:01 AM

113 posts, read 104,385 times

Advertisements

Over the last 18 months someone has been tampering with my cat, mostly one, but now it appears my other. First he used to come home with his collar loosened. I'd readjust and leave a note in him requesting they stop and if they have a prob call the phone number. They just kept doing it like it was a game. Later on I got a GPS device just for general security for the younger more active one. One day he returned with it broken. Figured it was defective and got it replaced, till a couple weeks later he returns again with it broken but this time obviously not by design or accident. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the location. That was a couple months ago. Since then he's not had one. I'm waiting for an improved version which will be able to help me find the culprit next time.

Anyway, I don't know that I've found them/him/her, but I have noticed a few houses down someone leaves their garage door slightly open during the day and evening and so far the only cats I've seen go in there are my two. I picnic a lot out on my front lawn.

Along with the notes on my cat requesting to not touch the collar I also have a note next to the phone number "PLZ don't feed". I followed the older one over there and watched him go in and eat out of a bowl. I had to do some sneaky sh#! to get that angle. Needless to say I skidaddled my way off their property so as not to be detected. I wanna know what's going on first before I talk to anyone. I'm thinking wait til I get an improved GPS unit to help narrow down the area the crime(hopefully won't) be committed again. Anyway, being in the vulnerable position I'm in I only plan on catching them so they can't lie then work this out somehow.

I'd like to just tell someone 'don't touch my cats' but one, them going in their property makes that demand a little difficult as obviously they(it's a couple that lives there) haven't decided to stop so far despite the notes, and two, I'm not exactly sure who I'm dealing with and what their motives are. I'm hoping they don't have bad intentions towards my cats, on the contrary, loosening collars and feeding them indicates concern, so fortunately it doesn't look dangerous for them directly, but the destruction of the GPS units, if it's these people, which I've a good feeling it is, and even this whole creepy courting of them gives me a little cause for concern. Either they don't want to be caught or they thought they were doing my cat a favor. Either way this is disturbing behavior.

Lol, has anyone ever had to deal with a situation remotely like this? And no, keeping my cats inside is not an option. Not yet at least. I own my home here and unless my cats prove to be threats to the neighborhood, maybe in a Stephen King novel, I'd like to be able to live comfortably here with my cats.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
Over the last 18 months someone has been tampering with my cat, mostly one, but now it appears my other. First he used to come home with his collar loosened. I'd readjust and leave a note in him requesting they stop and if they have a prob call the phone number. They just kept doing it like it was a game. Later on I got a GPS device just for general security for the younger more active one. One day he returned with it broken. Figured it was defective and got it replaced, till a couple weeks later he returns again with it broken but this time obviously not by design or accident. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the location. That was a couple months ago. Since then he's not had one. I'm waiting for an improved version which will be able to help me find the culprit next time.

Anyway, I don't know that I've found them/him/her, but I have noticed a few houses down someone leaves their garage door slightly open during the day and evening and so far the only cats I've seen go in there are my two. I picnic a lot out on my front lawn.

Along with the notes on my cat requesting to not touch the collar I also have a note next to the phone number "PLZ don't feed". I followed the older one over there and watched him go in and eat out of a bowl. I had to do some sneaky sh#! to get that angle. Needless to say I skidaddled my way off their property so as not to be detected. I wanna know what's going on first before I talk to anyone. I'm thinking wait til I get an improved GPS unit to help narrow down the area the crime(hopefully won't) be committed again. Anyway, being in the vulnerable position I'm in I only plan on catching them so they can't lie then work this out somehow.

I'd like to just tell someone 'don't touch my cats' but one, them going in their property makes that demand a little difficult as obviously they(it's a couple that lives there) haven't decided to stop so far despite the notes, and two, I'm not exactly sure who I'm dealing with and what their motives are. I'm hoping they don't have bad intentions towards my cats, on the contrary, loosening collars and feeding them indicates concern, so fortunately it doesn't look dangerous for them directly, but the destruction of the GPS units, if it's these people, which I've a good feeling it is, and even this whole creepy courting of them gives me a little cause for concern. Either they don't want to be caught or they thought they were doing my cat a favor. Either way this is disturbing behavior.

Lol, has anyone ever had to deal with a situation remotely like this? And no, keeping my cats inside is not an option. Not yet at least. I own my home here and unless my cats prove to be threats to the neighborhood, maybe in a Stephen King novel, I'd like to be able to live comfortably here with my cats.
If you can't keep your cats out of other peoples homes you get what you get. BTW Cape Coral's leash law applies to cats so by you allowing your cat to run at large unattended you are the one in the wrong.

Last edited by nhkev; 05-20-2016 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Your cats have no business being on other people's property. You're lucky they haven't been poisoned or trapped and taken to a shelter. If you care about them, you'll keep them safe.

If you want them to be outside build them a nice catio so they can go in and out at will on your property.

Outdoor Enclosures | Jackson Galaxy

Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
We have several cats prowling our neighborhood,including ours and they no one seems to mind.They don't really hurt anything and at least they don't bark all day like some of our neighbors dogs.
I would watch your cats when they leave the house because they probably make a b-line for the neighbor that's feeding them and then I would politely talk to them.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
It's irresponsible to let your cats run loose. If you can't take care of them you shouldn't have them.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM

374 posts, read 796,443 times
I too had a creepy neighbor who liked to lock my cat on her back porch area. She used to take off his collar too. Multiple times... Multiple replacement collars. Once she came down and told me he was limping. No limp. Told me I should get him fixed. He ALREADY is fixed. ( I think she had him confused with another cat ) Usually this cat is inside my home, since I am only cat sitting for my daughter till she is done with graduate school, I want his safe inside. But he does escapes probably once or twice a month. Usually for just an hour or so and he is back at the front door meowing.

Unfortunately in the new world of social media, everyone thinks they can do or say whatever they want. Everyone is always judging and nebbing. If you want your cats safe, inside is the only option. If they get out,then we gave to deal with all the interference.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 AM

179 posts, read 347,565 times
You really shouldn't be letting your cat trespass on other people's property. While it might seem harmless, many people are very allergic to cats. If your cat is wandering in to their garage, that can create serious allergy issues.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM

113 posts, read 104,385 times
No one's sneezing and no one cares about the leash law. Occasionally I'll get a call from someone like some of the posters bringing up some concern but after talking a bit it's just people with no lives looking for someone to shake their finger at. This issue is about creepy people.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
I have no problems with people letting their outdoor cats roam. We have a few in our neighborhood, though we keep our cat inside.

Unfortunately, there are all types of people out there (good and bad), and never can tell what your cat will run into. I'd probably try to contain your cats on your own property.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Putting notes on your cats is a little creepy. It sounds like you're not getting it. They started by loosening the cat's collar hoping you would be concerned enough to watch after them, then escalated to breaking the GPS to send a stronger message. They have earned the cat's trust by feeding it. Next step, dead or missing cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area