Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 AM

23 posts, read 28,269 times

Advertisements

We currently looking for builders. Obviously we looking for a good, reliable and dare I say honest company. We are working with a realtor and we asked for two or three recommendations of reliable builders (we also have three in mind) so that we could whittle it down to one that we really like.

My realtor only suggested just one builder. This is the second realtor that I have worked with over the last two years (long story about the first) but I had a similar experience with that realtor. My questions are these; Do realtors purposely steer their clients toward A builder? Is this a normal practice? Do the realtor get a bigger, and I hesitate to use the word kickback, payoff from the deal? If not, what is the motivation for the realtor to recommend just the one builder?

I think that I know what the answer is. I really don't want to be cynical. . . but it's in my nature. I would love to think that the recommendation is the best builder in the area but I know that cannot be possible. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,420,842 times
I have had requests for recommendations. I always give multiple builders. The reason is that if I give only one, and the person is dissatisfied and sues, I can get caught up in the lawsuit. Now the agent may think that the builder is great, or there may be a relationship including both financial or maybe a relative.

I would find another agent if you are concerned.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM

179 posts, read 345,546 times
Realtors do see the work of many different builders, so they see who is good and who is not, ... so they recommend favorites. ... But, they usually recommend a few builders, and not just one.
A Realtor shouldn't just be pointing you toward a builder(s). The Realtor should also be walking you through the entire process, helping you negotiate a good deal, help you select options according to your wants and likes, attending home inspections with a home inspector at the various stages of construction completion, and helping you at settlement. Before all of this, a Realtor should also have a list of good lenders for you to work with. Many builders have their own preferred lender that they will try to get you to use, but it is not always the best financing terms. Get a list of a few lenders from your Realtor.

Best luck.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 AM

390 posts, read 632,143 times
Realtors in cahoots with builders in cahoots with inspectors in cahoots with lenders in cahoots with everyone else in the real estate industry are what drove the artificial boom that led to the epic bust here. It still exists. More regulation has helped curb the effects greatly, but you can count on many people here having a hidden agenda. There's lots of honest folks too, the majority I believe, but fraud has solid roots in Florida in general. Don't take any one person's word for anything.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 PM

52 posts, read 59,183 times
Some builders provide higher commissions. Kickbacks must be disclosed per our code of ethics on any vendor. With any advice I like to provide 3 or more companies but the consumer shall make the decision. Realtor should have your best interest at all times. There are over 6,500 licensed realtors in Lee County, if you don't feel confident find a Realtor you can trust.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 AM

23 posts, read 28,269 times
Thank you for your advice.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 PM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Just be careful and get referrals.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM

195 posts, read 270,750 times
First, it should be pointed out that the consumer should be represented by their own Real Estate agent when dealing with builders. Most builders have an agent in house that represents the builder. A good Real Estate agent will know the quality of work several builders provide. Builders are found in different price points as their focus.
A reputable agent will take you to several builders so you can see their style and the quality of their work.
The agent will guide you through the process and keep your best interest in mind.
The agent is compensated by the builder not by the buyer, so it does not cost the buyer to have their own agent.
The builders have their own contract for the construction of a home and the agent should recommend the use of an attorney to make sure the terms do not put the buyer in a disadvantaged position.
Using a Real Estate agent is a smart thing to do for your best interest.
Make sure the agent is knowledgeable about New Construction and has a good working knowledge of the various builders product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area