Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 AM

180 posts, read 276,915 times

Advertisements

Several of the houses we like during our house hunting are a little skimpy on the area surrounding the pool. I would like enough room to sit and catch the sun on the far side of the pool but many homes have barely enough room to walk.
Any suggestions?
Dh suggested extended the cage and having an additional concrete or paver area added. Anyone ever done that? Is that outrageously expensive?
I thought of making a searing area outside of the cage, but I don't see this anywhere and I assume there is a reason for the cage. We have visited 30+ times in all seasons and haven't had any problems with bugs or mosquitos (try sitting outside in wi...yikes)but I'm sure the insects are here somewhere.
My DH really likes this house with a small area surrounding the pool. What do other people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
You have a couple of choices: continue to look for the house that you want with the larger lanai area, get quotes from contractors to find out how much it will cost to do what you want to the house your DH likes or build a new house.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Unfortunately houses like this are selling so fast that getting a quote from a contractor would be out of the question. Every house we really liked has been on the market for about 7 days.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,802 times
Bugs are not much of an issue during the winter months. If you are a sun worshipper being outside the screened enclosure will get you more sun. The screens block maybe about 25% of the suns rays. In the rainy season it is a different story, especially approaching dusk.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
Something to think of the pool cage blocks a lot of the sun rays and breeze, some people actually have a separate uncaged area for sun bathing.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
Some of these homes, especially in PUDs, have very restricted rear areas, unable to expand the cages due to setbacks, etc.

A pool cage on a standard pool runs $5-8K. You can figure $3-5K for an extension depending on size, etc. however this doesn't mean that you can do this.

If you want to make an offer on a home, write a contingency into the contract with a 10 day time frame that you can verify that you can add onto the pool area.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
Several of the houses we like during our house hunting are a little skimpy on the area surrounding the pool. I would like enough room to sit and catch the sun on the far side of the pool but many homes have barely enough room to walk.
Any suggestions?
Dh suggested extended the cage and having an additional concrete or paver area added. Anyone ever done that? Is that outrageously expensive?
I thought of making a searing area outside of the cage, but I don't see this anywhere and I assume there is a reason for the cage. We have visited 30+ times in all seasons and haven't had any problems with bugs or mosquitos (try sitting outside in wi...yikes)but I'm sure the insects are here somewhere.
My DH really likes this house with a small area surrounding the pool. What do other people do?
We are looking too and hate that the pool area with cage is such a tight area!
What part of WI are you in now?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Cindy, We are in central wi, near Stevens point area. Looking right now is a pain. Very few homes coming on the market. I wonder if we have to wait until January for things to pick up?
Restrain, Would a PUD be a regular neighborhood or a gated community? Thanks for the response, learning something new every day. Things are very different than what we are used to.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
PUD or HOA. Often gated, with amenities. Planned Unit Developments.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:06 AM

112 posts, read 184,415 times
We are considering extending our caged area with a 14x20 foot extension. Without getting any quotes I'm thinking $3,000. to $5,000. for the pad, cage & pavers. Strictly ball-parking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area