Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM

198 posts, read 479,632 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The wheels are turning faster towards our retirement. It looks like we are talking about a year. We are trying to make our place in NW Cape Coral to the way we want it by that time.
That being said, we are looking into installing a propane system that would possibly serve our cooking (wife insists), generator, hot water and maybe future pool . Needless to say everything is currently electric.
Does anyone have any input on installation and running costs? I realize the cost of propane can fluctuate more than electricity. We would want a system we could build off of. Starting with the cooking and hot water. I have a call into a propane company, but wanted to hear from someone who had it installed and or are currently using propane.
Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:49 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsme View Post
Hi,

The wheels are turning faster towards our retirement. It looks like we are talking about a year. We are trying to make our place in NW Cape Coral to the way we want it by that time.
That being said, we are looking into installing a propane system that would possibly serve our cooking (wife insists), generator, hot water and maybe future pool . Needless to say everything is currently electric.
Does anyone have any input on installation and running costs? I realize the cost of propane can fluctuate more than electricity. We would want a system we could build off of. Starting with the cooking and hot water. I have a call into a propane company, but wanted to hear from someone who had it installed and or are currently using propane.
Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.

One thing I liked about propane is it gave me a backup source of energy when power went out. In NH I use to go winter camping all the time, heat worked, refrigerator worked, stove worked, hot water worked all when electricity was off. If you had it also power a generator that would be great for power outages. Cons is Propane cost can be volatile and can get very expensive.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:17 PM

195 posts, read 269,226 times
Several of the new construction communities are featuring gas appliances. I find that buyers really like that feature.
The Propane tank is buried so it does not take up space or present an eyesore to the property.
I have seen homes that have the cook stove, water heater dryer and pool heater all on propane.
It also provides for your needs during a power outage. You could even add a generator on to the system.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,856,660 times
We love propane.....powers everything for us up north.Go with a big tank,500 or even 1,000 gallons,buried or above ground if you can conceal it a little.
My propane generator is 15 years old and starts and runs beautifuuly because propane,unlike gas doesn't go bad.
Never any tune up or cleaning issues

Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Hi wellsme,

We're you able to get a propane gas installation in your retirement home ? What were the running cost associated with it. SW Cape Coral FL. is also an area that 95 percent of the homes and new construction homes have electric unless you enter a community with HOA fees. My wife also refuses to buy without gas so what company did you contract. Can you help me.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM

198 posts, read 479,632 times
Do to the fact that we had plans to install a pool and have a septic field in our front yard we could not go with an underground tank. Any tank has to meet setbacks from property lines, windows, vents and ignition sources, which limits where the tank can be placed.
We ended up with a 120 gal. tank which we just use for cooking. A dryer and water heater could be connected to this size tank as well.
The gas company (South Florida Gas, Fort Myers) obtained the permits. supplied the tank, ran the pipe, connected the stove and filled the tank for about $2000. My wife loves cooking with gas again.
It is costing us about a $100 per year to top off the tank. Maybe less in the future since we do a bit of cooking on our new Big Green Egg.
Whichever way you go, think of any future additions you may do to your property because it could be affected by any gas installation or visa versa.
Good luck.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,622,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
One thing I liked about propane is it gave me a backup source of energy when power went out. In NH I use to go winter camping all the time, heat worked, refrigerator worked, stove worked, hot water worked all when electricity was off. If you had it also power a generator that would be great for power outages. Cons is Propane cost can be volatile and can get very expensive.
and it can explode and you need carbon monoxide detector in your home. If you go all electric none of that is a concern.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and it can explode and you need carbon monoxide detector in your home. If you go all electric none of that is a concern.
Home powered by electric don’t burn down? Is that what you’re saying?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Home powered by electric don’t burn down? Is that what you’re saying?
He is usually clueless troll

Old 09-11-2020, 08:08 AM

52 posts, read 98,079 times
A little heads up. A pool heater will EAT up propane. Expext to burn through a full tank of gas on the initial heat-up, and keeping it heated will probably double your gas bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: