Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 31,709 times

Advertisements

haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 AM

180 posts, read 277,114 times
Depending on where you are working, Cape Coral has some very nice areas in the southwest near Veterans Pkwy. Everything is newish. A lot of people in that area work in FM and take Veterans over to FM. I don't have children in the schools, but I hear they are good and buildings look very nice. There seems to be a fair number of working people and younger families in that area, not just retirees. You could easily rent a beautiful home with pool in that area for around $1500. Nice homes in the southeast also around Veterans and closer yet to FM. There are several bridges between Cape and FM, not sure which one is more convenient for you. You didn't state what hours you will work. You would have to make the drive at the times you are working to judge the traffic. I am from a small town in the midwest and I don't find the traffic that bad, but it depends on your route and the time of day and your own personal feelings towards traffic.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:46 PM

28 posts, read 29,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you're at Lee Memorial, you won't want anything in the general vicinity. That campus is smack dap in the middle of the hood with the ghetto no too far away.
^this. The prices in that area near the hospital will look appealing but don't do it. You want to be on the South side of Colonial Blvd at least. Avoid Pine Manor neighborhood between Summerlin and 41 in Ft Myers as well. Cape Coral would probably be your best bet. If you look in central or North Cape, your commute would probably be 20 minutes give or take. The South side of the Cape you would have a longer commute since the bridges get backed up during rush hour. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njreid04 View Post
Coming from Milwaukee, the crime rates seem about the same. It's all about where you're at. Since I'm not 100% familiar with all the areas it's difficult to research each neighborhood. Just as it is in Milwaukee.

I can easily handle a 30 minute commute as can my fiancé. We would be looking at renting first to get a feel for the area were before we move but top of our price range would probably be 1500 including being able to have our dog.
Not sure where you checked you're crime rate stats or if you compared another city other than Milwaukee but Cape Coral crime rate is half of Milwaukee's.
See for yourself.

[mod]link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 AM

390 posts, read 635,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray MI5 View Post
Not sure where you checked you're crime rate stats or if you compared another city other than Milwaukee but Cape Coral crime rate is half of Milwaukee's.
See for yourself.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Note the title of his post says Fort Myers. It doesn't seem like he'd be making his comparison to a different city than the one he is was talking about.

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 05:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I think you should be reading the crime rates and news papers before making that decision.
Oh, puleeeze !!! I get so tired of hearing that Ft Myers is crime riddled...........it is not ! I have lived in the Cape and now over here in FM, and never have had any problems in either town. We have been here since 85 and love the area. Until that shooting that happened at the black nightclub, our crime was actually way down over previous years......it only takes one mass shooting to skew the numbers.

Sure, there are pockets where I would not go, but those are well known and you simply avoid them. I live off of College Parkway and would walk at night or do any other activity and not have any concerns. Even in your nice little Naples, there are areas that you are not exactly proud of either, but that is EVERY TOWN I have ever lived in. I've lived in quite a few towns and States, and ALL of them have good and bad areas.

The crime reports you are basing your decision on are generally North of Colonial and, more definitively, places like Dunbar, Tice, and Lehigh. Stay way from those areas and you will be fine.

Lee Memorial is a good employer. My Ex headed up one of the departments there and loved her job. Which campus will you be working at ? That will sort of dictate where you might want to settle.

Don

Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, puleeeze !!! I get so tired of hearing that Ft Myers is crime riddled...........it is not ! I have lived in the Cape and now over here in FM, and never have had any problems in either town. We have been here since 85 and love the area. Until that shooting that happened at the black nightclub, our crime was actually way down over previous years......it only takes one mass shooting to skew the numbers.

Sure, there are pockets where I would not go, but those are well known and you simply avoid them. I live off of College Parkway and would walk at night or do any other activity and not have any concerns. Even in your nice little Naples, there are areas that you are not exactly proud of either, but that is EVERY TOWN I have ever lived in. I've lived in quite a few towns and States, and ALL of them have good and bad areas.

The crime reports you are basing your decision on are generally North of Colonial and, more definitively, places like Dunbar, Tice, and Lehigh. Stay way from those areas and you will be fine.

Lee Memorial is a good employer. My Ex headed up one of the departments there and loved her job. Which campus will you be working at ? That will sort of dictate where you might want to settle.

Don
Ok okay... So I guess the fact that it was one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in the state is just ridiculous. Or the fact it's made that list on a national level several times ...

Here Are The 10 Most Dangerous Towns In Florida To Live In

Old 08-15-2016, 11:42 AM

179 posts, read 347,480 times
Sweetbottoms - The list you provided only counts the area of Fort Myers within the FM city limit, which is a small, concentrated area that is not representative of most of the genera FM area. Most people acknowledge that there are several areas in Ft. Myers city limits that are dangerous. That does not mean that the other areas with a Ft. Myers mailing address outside the city limits are also dangerous. In fact, the article you posted mentions that Punta Rassa (which falls within a Ft Myers postal address) is one of Florida's safest places. There are areas even in the city limits that are okay. Again, stay out of the Ft. Myers "hood", and the majority of the area is quite safe.

The article said Orlando just missed the list, being topped by St. Petersburg for the #10 spot. So Orlando is the "11th most dangerous". Does this mean that parents should fear taking their children to Sea World and Universal Studio Parks? Or, maybe could those figures be skewed by a few select bad areas of the city that nobody with common sense goes to anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area