Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM

23 posts, read 17,891 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

I appreciate your time to read and chime in on my post.

I'm currently looking at the potential of relocating my fiance, our dog, and myself to Fort Myers for a new position. Her family actually just purchased a home in Bonita Springs a year or so ago. We are from the Milwaukee/Chicago area, so the weather would be an excellent change, however that's not all we're interested in.

What is the population like? What are would a young married couple, looking to have children in the near future look to move to? What is the night life like? She is 25 and I am 30, so we want to make sure there are activities for our age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 AM

331 posts, read 453,074 times
What are your interests? There's plenty to do depending on your interests. Also a general location of potential work location would be? Then good living locations can be offered.

Good Luck.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. It would be with Lee Memorial Health for work so it would be around Lee Memorial is my assumption.

We like to go concerts, beach, hiking, sports etc. as for night life we enjoy bars, various restaurants of all types, etc.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
There are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs in Downtown Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach and Downtown Cape Coral. There are lots of malls too. Boating, kayaking, fishing and golf are great outdoor hobbies. If you stay away from the Fort Myer's ghetto it is a safe area. Having a job will make the move easy. I have heard good things about the Cape Coral schools.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
I think you should be reading the crime rates and news papers before making that decision.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM

195 posts, read 271,998 times
You are wise to check out the things that are important to you. You want to know what is available that would meet your needs.
Other considerations would be:
Do you want to rent or own?
What budget are you looking at?
What size home will you want?

Lee Memorial Health has several facilities: Cape Coral, Ft Myers has 3. So the locations are very spread out. Therefore, what length of travel time can you tolerate?

For the money, Cape Coral offers some great opportunities.
Here are some links to give you more information:
http://www.myriverdistrict.com/
Cape Coral| VisitFlorida.com

Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 PM

Coming from Milwaukee, the crime rates seem about the same. It's all about where you're at. Since I'm not 100% familiar with all the areas it's difficult to research each neighborhood. Just as it is in Milwaukee.

I can easily handle a 30 minute commute as can my fiancé. We would be looking at renting first to get a feel for the area were before we move but top of our price range would probably be 1500 including being able to have our dog.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njreid04 View Post
Coming from Milwaukee, the crime rates seem about the same. It's all about where you're at. Since I'm not 100% familiar with all the areas it's difficult to research each neighborhood. Just as it is in Milwaukee.

I can easily handle a 30 minute commute as can my fiancé. We would be looking at renting first to get a feel for the area were before we move but top of our price range would probably be 1500 including being able to have our dog.
30 mins in season or out? 30 min in season will turn into an hour easy. Better to be closer to work .

Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM

331 posts, read 453,074 times
Look into Bonita Springs. Starting a family, the closer the parents are the better. Plus it's a better drive going North in the morning than going South.

After looking at the map, I might concentrate on the areas surrounding your place of employment. Commuting sucks in Lee and Collier Counties. If you have to travel the express you'll be suffering from white knuckles stress. I know where you're relocating from and the driving habits here are a lot to be desired.

Good luck hunting.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njreid04 View Post
Thanks for the reply. It would be with Lee Memorial Health for work so it would be around Lee Memorial is my assumption.

We like to go concerts, beach, hiking, sports etc. as for night life we enjoy bars, various restaurants of all types, etc.

LMHS is a large health system. Which location will you be working at? You only want 30 min travel time? Find out which location and then decide where to start your search. If you're at Lee Memorial, you won't want anything in the general vicinity. That campus is smack dap in the middle of the hood with the ghetto no too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area