Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,454 times

Advertisements

So Im a 23 year old recent college grad that just moved to Port Charlotte to live with her mom. Right now im living with my mom until I can get a job and get my own apartment. My question is what areas would you think is best? I want to stay kind of close probably an hour and a half the farthest. I moved here from CT and lived the last few years in New Haven, CT. New haven is a city with a lot of bars, clubs and restaurants, median age of around 30. I know I wont be able to find that here but im looking for something close. Right now im being considered for a position in Fort Myers, any thoughts on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 PM

179 posts, read 347,565 times
There is nowehere in Southwest Florida with a median age around 30, but there are a few in the 40 range. Here is a sampling of median ages:

Fort Myers 39. (Caution: Much of Ft. Myers' young demographic are from the ghetto areas. If you don't count the ghetto area, and assuming you don't want to live in the ghetto areas, the Ft Myers median age is a bit higher.)

North Port 41
Sarasota 41
Bradenton 42
Cape Coral 42
Nokomis 46
Port Charlotte 49
Bonita Springs 54
Osprey 54
Siesta Key 60
Estero 61
Naples 61
Burnt Store Marina 63
Englewood 63
Marco Island 63
Punta Gorda 64
Boca grande 67
Manasota Key 67
Venice 69

United States 37
Florida 41

Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Sarasota has a good night life. There is a free dance party Driday night at the White Vuffalo. Downtown Cape Coral also has a bunch of clubs.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
You came to the wrong place for young hip areas. SWFL is a retirement community. The young people move out and the old move in. I'd avoid Ft. Myers. Not where you want to be. The only place that'll have a few people your age is near FGCU

Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM

390 posts, read 635,451 times
The deep SW is a tough one for the younger crowd. As has been said, the Gulf Coast University area has a younger crowd, and Cape Coral does to a lesser extent, but SWFL would have driven me nuts at your age. A big part of the problem is this area is very short on good jobs, so it's a lot easier for a retiree that doesn't need an income to make it work. Career minded young people aren't drawn here.

St. Petersburg is within the driving range you wanted, although barely. I'd recommend taking a look up that way. The Tampa metro area is a pretty happening city with lots to do and infinitely more employment opportunities. I've been here for 2.5 years, and even in my late 40's, I've come to the conclusion that this area is too old for me. I'm looking at moving up that way.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Yeah, I was looking for jobs a more up north near st petersburg and tampa but I was offered a job in Fort Myers at a higher salary than the other jobs I was looking at with state benefits. I will more than likely move out of state within 2 years, im only taking this job to gain experience and a good salary.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
There is nowehere in Southwest Florida with a median age around 30, but there are a few in the 40 range. Here is a sampling of median ages:

Fort Myers 39. (Caution: Much of Ft. Myers' young demographic are from the ghetto areas. If you don't count the ghetto area, and assuming you don't want to live in the ghetto areas, the Ft Myers median age is a bit higher.)

North Port 41
Sarasota 41
Bradenton 42
Cape Coral 42
Nokomis 46
Port Charlotte 49
Bonita Springs 54
Osprey 54
Siesta Key 60
Estero 61
Naples 61
Burnt Store Marina 63
Englewood 63
Marco Island 63
Punta Gorda 64
Boca grande 67
Manasota Key 67
Venice 69

United States 37
Florida 41
thanks!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyNew View Post
So Im a 23 year old recent college grad that just moved to Port Charlotte to live with her mom. Right now im living with my mom until I can get a job and get my own apartment. My question is what areas would you think is best? I want to stay kind of close probably an hour and a half the farthest. I moved here from CT and lived the last few years in New Haven, CT. New haven is a city with a lot of bars, clubs and restaurants, median age of around 30. I know I wont be able to find that here but im looking for something close. Right now im being considered for a position in Fort Myers, any thoughts on the area?
As much as I really love SWF, I have to say it may not be what young people are looking for. I'm in my 60's and enjoy the laid back lifestyle and peacefulness of the south Gulf coast, and that's what sells the area. So, it attracts older adults and jobs are heavily service sector and low paying. Not that you might not enjoy a visit with Mom and appreciate the beauty of the Gulf and it's beaches, but social and retail options favor the older demographic. It may be a bit farther, but I'd say as a generality, the further north you go (coastal), the more appealing to a younger demographic. Here's a good article you might find interesting, https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/stud...-florida-2015/ . Either fortunately or unfortunately, Florida is a big state and it can have vastly different personalities, so do your homework. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 17,033 times
Fort Myers is a good area, at least way better than Port Charlotte lol.
Like everyone else suggested, Fort Myers - Gulf Coast Town Center area is full of college students. There is not much to do in Fort Myers in general, unless you're into fishing and being at the beach all day.
But if you meet the right people and make decent friends, things will be different for you.
I lived there for 11 years and recently moved to California. To be honest I do like SWFL more than California, except the weather.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Check out Downtown Fort Myers for night life. It has a mostly younger crowd especially after about 9:00 when the old folks get sleepy. haha. Also Town Center Bars and Downtown Cape Coral has some hip places. If you met the right friends and the right guy you could be happy in this area. There are plenty of young families. Go to one of the many festivals to get a feel for the young people that live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area