Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:35 PM

390 posts, read 635,200 times

Advertisements

hotpads.com is a good resource too if you haven't looked at it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 04:41 AM

163 posts, read 208,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wal3qx View Post
Is that actually a concern there? I have my offer letter and a relocation agent provided by my employer and could provide ample proof of income of both past and future.

I appreciate the responses. It's clearly a different housing world down there than in the greater Cincinnati area!
We moved here from Northern Ky, i use the Hotpads app on my phone to find our place.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 13,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
We moved here from Northern Ky, i use the Hotpads app on my phone to find our place.
I've found a place and signed the lease (without any crazy fees, just $45 app and $45 lawyer fee to draw up the lease), but since I'm coming from Northern KY I'm curious where in NKY you are from and what, if anything, you think someone else coming from up here should be aware of when moving to Cape Coral.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM

163 posts, read 208,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wal3qx View Post
I've found a place and signed the lease (without any crazy fees, just $45 app and $45 lawyer fee to draw up the lease), but since I'm coming from Northern KY I'm curious where in NKY you are from and what, if anything, you think someone else coming from up here should be aware of when moving to Cape Coral.
I'm from Independence. Kenton county. Just be ready for A LOT of traffic during the winter months ( down here its called "season") Also groceries down here are more expensive then back in Ky.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Groceries are more expensive but you will never have to buy another winter coat! Or boots! Or snow tires, ice scraper for your car, boots, heavy socks, flannel shirts or wood for the fireplace!

Welcome to Florida!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It is smart to rent for the first year or so to see if you like it here and it gives you time to know the area so you can buy where you like it the best.

That 3 month deal is nuts. When we got here, we drove around and looked for rent signs on homes and called the owners. Before the U Haul truck was even cooled off we had a lease and were able to move right in with only first month, and one month security.

The nice thing about Cape Coral is that it is over built and a lot of people built homes to get into the rental business. If you spend some time looking and maybe using Craigslist, you should be able to find a better deal.

Welcome to Florida.........you are going to love it in about January when you are still wearing shorts.

Don
In Manhattan I have seen them ask for one year rent up front if you have no job or proof of income. People pay it.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 AM

179 posts, read 347,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Groceries are more expensive but you will never have to buy another winter coat! Or boots! Or snow tires, ice scraper for your car, boots, heavy socks, flannel shirts or wood for the fireplace!

Welcome to Florida!

No state income tax, either!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 13,763 times
You weren't kidding. It took me longer to get the 9 miles from "home" to work here than it did the 32 mile commute to get from Florence to Montgomery back home (way north side of Cincy). Never dreamed that was possible. I lived in Independence for several years and used to think that was a long commute. Little did I know! Groceries and grocery stores here..I miss Kroger maybe more than anything else back home. Love Publix subs but otherwise they got nuttin' on Kroger! I still can't adjust to the driving here either. I am white knuckled every time I get in the car! Don't know how long it took you to adjust but I'm 9 mos in and not at all adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
I'm from Independence. Kenton county. Just be ready for A LOT of traffic during the winter months ( down here its called "season") Also groceries down here are more expensive then back in Ky.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have never had to pay first, last & security deposit except when I lived on Long Island. I just pay first, security and a pet deposit.

Never heard of anyone expecting three months rent up front. Not even sure it is legal. Like was said most of the people who move to this area are from "up north" so it would be ludicrous to expect them to pay that much to rent a place.

Besides you have a job already. It's not like you're going to be a transient.
Usually it's first, last, security and the security is equal to one months rent. That's 3 months worth of rent technically. Very standard. SWFL is expensive. Expect to shell out in excess of $5000 to get into a rental

Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I've rented in 5 different places here in Lee County in the last 10 years, two of them apartments, two condos and one a single family house. Only paid, first, security and a pet deposit although I know in some markets like New York & Long Island, paying, first, last and security is common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: