Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

I live in the Cape and they are spraying for mosquitoes with trucks going up and down the streets here.

I just saw dead honey bees on my property. This is not good.. we need bees to pollinate crops .

They are killing bees as well. I am sick about it seeing dead honey bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
You might be a lot sicker if an infected mosquito bites you. While I agree that this is not a pleasant thing to happen to the bees, what are the alternatives ? People are opposed to ANY sort of measure we take, like genetically altered mosquitos, etc.

Something has to be done, or we will end up like some countries where 1,500 people a week come down with it. Zika is no joke or myth.

Don

Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You might be a lot sicker if an infected mosquito bites you. While I agree that this is not a pleasant thing to happen to the bees, what are the alternatives ? People are opposed to ANY sort of measure we take, like genetically altered mosquitos, etc.

Something has to be done, or we will end up like some countries where 1,500 people a week come down with it. Zika is no joke or myth.

Don
70% of people who get zika don't even know they have it.. is is a very mild flu. We need honey bees to live and killing the bees is not a trade off.. they need to formulate a better way to kill mosquitoes without killing our honey bees. This cannot go on. It can kill industries here in Florida if there are no bees left.

Tired of all these new problems we get in Florida .. bed bugs, lice , fire ants , now a mosquito that has a zika virus..dead honey bees, what next?

http://news.ufl.edu/articles/2016/01...-come-from.php

Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 PM

179 posts, read 347,480 times
I think they are mostly spraying residential areas. I don't think they are spraying agricultural / farming areas where bees are more critical to crop survival. Some residential gardens might not do as well, but that might be the price we have to pay. Zika is just a mild flu for some people, but for pregnant women, it means a child with birth defects. It's no joke. Also, an infected father can infect the mother, thereby causing birth defects in the child.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I live in the Cape and they are spraying for mosquitoes with trucks going up and down the streets here.

I just saw dead honey bees on my property. This is not good.. we need bees to pollinate crops .

They are killing bees as well. I am sick about it seeing dead honey bees.
How about what you're breathing in? What pets are breathing in?

Didn't you do another thread about how a guy in what looked like a hazmat suit was spraying with no advance warning to residents?

When I lived in FL I found a lot of people(and not just older people) who seems a little slow on the upswing, compared to other places. I always wondered if the constant spraying of lawns and homes for pests had something to do with it.

Are they telling you anything or saying at least stay inside? Maybe not run the A/C? I know that would be uncomfortable there, but what's the impact to you and others?

Old 09-09-2016, 02:34 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Zika is basically symptomless unless you are pregnant. So probably - no.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
70% of people who get zika don't even know they have it.. is is a very mild flu. We need honey bees to live and killing the bees is not a trade off.. they need to formulate a better way to kill mosquitoes without killing our honey bees. This cannot go on. It can kill industries here in Florida if there are no bees left.

Tired of all these new problems we get in Florida .. bed bugs, lice , fire ants , now a mosquito that has a zika virus..dead honey bees, what next?

University of Florida News
Spraying is a massively broad and damaging brush to fix a specific problem. Too many beneficial insects are killed. U.S. Bees already suffered a massive population drop this year before spraying.

Genetically engineered infertile mosquito release to ultimately kill off all mosquitos would be better for everyone - if there's one bug the world would just carry on doing fine without ...its mosquitos.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:49 PM

179 posts, read 347,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Zika is basically symptomless unless you are pregnant. So probably - no.

It's not the symptoms that are the issue. It's the birth defects that are the issue. If this was not serious, it would be unlikely that the CDC would be taking it seriously.
How many other armchair MDs do we have here that will declare this a non-issue? Have you seen the babies with birth defects? Ask yourselves: ... Are you going to listen the CDC, or listen to someone from city-data who you never met?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:37 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How about what you're breathing in? What pets are breathing in?

Didn't you do another thread about how a guy in what looked like a hazmat suit was spraying with no advance warning to residents?

When I lived in FL I found a lot of people(and not just older people) who seems a little slow on the upswing, compared to other places. I always wondered if the constant spraying of lawns and homes for pests had something to do with it.

Are they telling you anything or saying at least stay inside? Maybe not run the A/C? I know that would be uncomfortable there, but what's the impact to you and others?
When they sprayed my development/property in Naples (5 all travel related cases) in the middle of the day with a big truck/tank, I was not told to not go outside despite the fact that the man on the truck was wearing what amounted to a HazMat suit. I picked up my cats and ran inside and did not go back outside until a day later. The public has no say in the matter even on their own property.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:52 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
It's not the symptoms that are the issue. It's the birth defects that are the issue. If this was not serious, it would be unlikely that the CDC would be taking it seriously.
How many other armchair MDs do we have here that will declare this a non-issue? Have you seen the babies with birth defects? Ask yourselves: ... Are you going to listen the CDC, or listen to someone from city-data who you never met?
Read up. Zika can cause ADULT brain damage similar to Alzheimers and cause GBS. Saying it can even be spread through tears, not only mosquitoes and sex. Ramping up the fear factor to spread BEYOND pregnant women. It might be YOU!

Naled, which is being sprayed in Florida, is banned in Europe. Puerto Rico refused US shipment. Why????? BIRTH DEFECTS. Let's prevent Zika birth defects with something that causes birth defects?

I got a very CHEAP flight out of Ft. Lauderdale the end of October up to NY to see my kids/grandkids. Yeah, I will drive that 2 hours across Alligator Ally to get there from Naples rather than spending $100 more each way from Ft. Myers. Will all flights by October be banned out of the Miami area? Oh, I better make sure I wear my Deet under my WINTER clothes up North!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area