Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times

Advertisements

So fort myers/cape coral is listed as the fastest growing city in America and traffic will only get worse. Are there any significant construction projects going on or being planned to ease traffic? I'd hate to see this area screw up the chance to have an excellent road system, especially because we already know the population will continue to rise. In your opinion, what improvements should be made first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Plenty of stuff 'planned' years out in actual construction.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM

163 posts, read 208,568 times
All they build here are more strip malls, medical buildings and Condos, hell with the roads

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Supposedly Hwy 82 is going to be widened and they have moved up the start date because of all the deadly accidents on this 2 lane road. We need overpasses at Daniels & 41 and Gladiolus & 41 and the county knows it because it has been mentioned many times.

Daniels Pkwy needs to have a lane added especially between 41 & the airport. The traffic is horrible, especially during season. Add the spring training at the two ball fields into the mix and it is a mess. Ditto for Del Prado in Cape Coral.

On Palomino (off Daniel's) the road is just one way in each direction which was fine when there were few homes back then. Now there is Paseo, Renaissance, Danforth Lakes, Reflection Isles in addition to the people back there with acreage and horses. Then during Catholic holidays the traffic is backed up for 1/2 mile because of the church on that road. Why didn't the county tell the developers that they couldn't build there unless they made the road 4 lanes? The developers are charging enough for their homes, townhouses, etc. Why?

The county needs to deny permits when developers want to build subdivisions unless they can improve the infrastructure that will be affected.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:28 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Supposedly Hwy 82 is going to be widened and they have moved up the start date because of all the deadly accidents on this 2 lane road. We need overpasses at Daniels & 41 and Gladiolus & 41 and the county knows it because it has been mentioned many times.

Daniels Pkwy needs to have a lane added especially between 41 & the airport. The traffic is horrible, especially during season. Add the spring training at the two ball fields into the mix and it is a mess. Ditto for Del Prado in Cape Coral.

On Palomino (off Daniel's) the road is just one way in each direction which was fine when there were few homes back then. Now there is Paseo, Renaissance, Danforth Lakes, Reflection Isles in addition to the people back there with acreage and horses. Then during Catholic holidays the traffic is backed up for 1/2 mile because of the church on that road. Why didn't the county tell the developers that they couldn't build there unless they made the road 4 lanes? The developers are charging enough for their homes, townhouses, etc. Why?

The county needs to deny permits when developers want to build subdivisions unless they can improve the infrastructure that will be affected.
Why?

Why do you pay $.03 a gallon more for a gallon of gasoline on one side of the street than the other?

Pay more for a half gallon of milk at 7 eleven than going to WalMart?

It's all about convenience vs. competition.

The county is a "business" like the rest....... If they create onerous conditions for permitting, the developers will simply go next door(the next county, state, country, what have you) to do business there. The county then loses the increased TAX BASE that they would have otherwise realized had the development taken place.*

Zoning laws exist, in part, to promote development. Those laws have to be adhered to by the county as well as the developer, and general public. Variances can be applied for, but I'm not certain a variance was ever applied for by a county, as that would be tantamount to wasting tax revenue, to fight the increase of tax revenue (cutting their own nose, to spite their face). The very same tax revenue that will be needed to make road improvements elsewhere in the county.

It's all one big vicious circle.

All that said, I agree with your sentiment.

Traffic is a mess, but not all of it is a result of inadequate roadways. IMHO, most of it is due to inadequate driving habits. I cannot leave home at this time of year without witnessing one act of sheer stupidity on the road, for every five-ten minutes of travel time.

Anywhere one lives is going to be less than perfect, in some direction or another. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you don't like the traffic, move somewhere with an amount of it that is tolerant to yourself.......that is my plan for the near future. In the meantime, I suggest all the rest of you just stay put right here.

CN

Old 03-12-2017, 09:55 AM

We lived in some small towns in NC for 9 years. There was no such thing as "rush hour". No snowbirds, no tourists. But alas I missed my family and returned to this area in 1999.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 PM

407 posts, read 828,802 times
It is so sad to see Lee County clear and develop every square inch of land.
On my commute home, it takes me 30-40 min to get from Daniels to Colonial on 41 north. In my opinion, US 41 needs to meet freeway standards. Pinellas county is doing it right now to US 19.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Yesterday the traffic was backed up from Gateway & Daniels to I-75 because the ballgame was letting out. I plan my days around spring training this time of year.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Well you can thank Governor Skeletor for destroying things like the DCA ( Dept. of Community Affairs) in the state as well:

DCA’s Division of Community Planning, which oversees local growth management decisions, will have its staff reduced by nearly half as it’s transferred to a new Department of Economic Opportunity created by the Legislature.
For years, developers and homebuilders had battled DCA over policy issues in the Legislature and over local projects that faced environmental opposition. Local governments were more than happy to have the state step in and say “no” to powerful local development and real estate interests even if the locals wanted to, which they usually didn’t.

Link: Florida growth agency “boogeyman” disappearing without debate | Florida Environments

Link: Rick Scott takes aim at DCA, the state's growth management agency | Tampa Bay Times

Link: Beware DCA's demise - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

We used to have solid "Cocurrency " laws where developers had to pay & plan for road lanes based on future traffic but that has almost dismantled already so when you complain about traffic in the future think about what Skeletor has done to our state over the past 8 years.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Has it really been 8 years already? When do we vote for governor again? Is it 2018? I've not liked him from the beginning. He's a crook and when he signed the approval for the Florida Black Bear hunting that cinched it for me. I can't believe people voted for a man who stole millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area