Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,691,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
I look at this site/thread forum everyday, but I am currently in Pittsburgh, so wouldn't be able to contribute. I am just hoping to find out a bit of info pertaining to the area where my condo is located. I have not heard anything from our association as to the status of the buildings. Anyone been through South Ft. Myers along Cypress Lke Drive?

My ex lives right off of Cypress Lake, near Summerlin, and nothing was damaged at her place. We live off of College, same thing. Our places look like there was never a storm, except for trees down and no power. We got our power back on Wednesday morning, and my ex has it at her place on Cypress Lake.

All in all, we dodged the bullet here in Ft Myers. We evacuated to Bonita Springs into a concrete and steel 21 story condo, and I fully expected to find our home and our shop leveled when we returned. But, thank God, they looked just as we left them.

I think you will be ok too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,292,859 times
Came back Thursday afternoon. Plenty of gas on 10 and 75. No traffic at all.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,557,997 times
went to Ft Myers Wednesday..loooong lines at at least 4 or 5 different stations then..went to Cape Coral today..no lines at gas stations I passed there.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM

25 posts, read 26,209 times
No lines getting gas in the Bonita/Estero/Ft. Myers area this week. Looks like supply has caught up and more people have regained power.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,595,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLove View Post
No lines getting gas in the Bonita/Estero/Ft. Myers area this week. Looks like supply has caught up and more people have regained power.
Great news

Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times
This rushed gas they brought in was bad quality. I should have waited before refilling half my gas tank in my car.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
This rushed gas they brought in was bad quality. I should have waited before refilling half my gas tank in my car.
Maybe you pumped "flex fuel", aka E85 (85 octane, gas mixed with ethanol/alcohol). "Regular" unleaded is 89 octane.

You can head to the FLAPS and get a bottle of octane enhancer. Probably will clear up the symptoms until your next fill up.

CN

Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM

179 posts, read 343,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Maybe you pumped "flex fuel", aka E85 (85 octane, gas mixed with ethanol/alcohol). "Regular" unleaded is 89 octane.

You can head to the FLAPS and get a bottle of octane enhancer. Probably will clear up the symptoms until your next fill up.

CN

E85 Flex Fuel does not mean 85 Octane gas mixed with ethanol. It means it's 85 percent Ethanol, (and only 15 % gasoline). That is very bad for a car that is not specifically made to use flex fuel. "Normal" gasoline is "E10", which has a maximum of 10 percent ethanol mixed in, and is at least 90% gasoline. Keep in mind that the "E" numbers have nothing to do with octane numbers. "E" numbers are percent of ethanol, and "normal" gasoline these days is generally E10, and it is E10 whether the octane is 87, 89, or 93. They generally don't label normal gas as "E10", but you'll see a little sticker on the pump that says that it may contain up to 10% ethanol.

Ethanol is bad for many types of marine engines, so marinas and some gas stations sell ethanol-free ("E zero") gasoline. The WaWa stations in the area have some available. It's the one that has the price in blue, and is a bit more expensive than the other grades. It's pure gasoline without that ethanol junk. Some stations like Marathon and some others have one called "Rec 90" (Recreational 90). It is an ethanol-free (E zero), 100% gasoline, that happens to be 90 Octane. It's good to use ethanol free gasoline in things that might sit for a long time between uses, such as boats, ATVs, RVs (if they're gas, and not diesel), etc. Up north, I used to fill the lawn mowers with it before the last mowing of the season, so that there would not be ethanol sitting in the tank all winter. Ethanol is not good to have sitting in your tank for long periods, so use ethanol-free in things that don't have high fuel turn-over.

You can use the pure gasoline ethanol-free marine fuel in your car, if you'd like, and will likely get slightly higher mileage. Pure gasoline has more energy per gallon than ethanol, so any added ethanol cuts your mileage. But, the slightly higher mileage likely won't make up for the substantially higher price of the marine fuel. But don't do the opposite ... Do not use E85 (85% ethanol) in vehicles not specifically made to take the 85% ethanol stuff. The ones that can take it are the "Flex Fuel" vehicles. They are flexible fuel vehicles that can use anything from pure gasoline (E zero) all the way up to E85. As of now, you see either E zero (ethanol-free marine and recreational gas, 100% gas), E10 ("normal" gas at most stations that is 90% gas and 10% ethanol), or E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gas). You generally don't see any gradations in between. The Big Corn lobby is pushing for normal gas to be bumped up from E10 to E15 (15% Ethanol). The marine industry is fighting it because E10 is already wreaking havoc on marine engines and E15 will really destroy them.

With the farming, distilling, etc., it takes about a gallon of real fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol. And then you get less mileage out of that ethanol than what you'd get from the gasoline itself. It's nuts. The ethanol program is pretty much a corporate welfare subsidy to benefit Big Corn agri-business. ... Leave the corn for food and the gasoline for combustion engines.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
E85 Flex Fuel does not mean 85 Octane gas mixed with ethanol. It means it's 85 percent Ethanol, (and only 15 % gasoline). That is very bad for a car that is not specifically made to use flex fuel. .......

... Leave the corn for food and the gasoline for combustion engines.
Thanks for the clarification. I burn Diesel and WMO in my truck. Don't pay much attention to gasoline anymore.

CN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area