Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

My family and I have vacationed in Sanibel for years and love it! Now that our youngest is heading off the college soon, we have started looking at homes for the purpose of spending half our time down there. We are in late 50's-early 60's and very active and involved. In all honesty, I'm concerned that I might get bored, as it is a quiet community I'd love to hear the thoughts of some part/ full-time residents. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM

179 posts, read 347,375 times
Your fears about being bored are not unfounded. Though nice, Sanibel is VERY sleepy.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM

297 posts, read 509,436 times
Well....if you vacationed their for years and loved it, why do you feel that you would become bored? You know what the area has to offer, if you feel like you will be bored before you even get there chances are you will be. On the other hand you say you are involved not sure with what, but their are any number of activities you can be involved with on the Island that would keep you occupied.
If you are going to live their during the normal Snowbird Season, Thanksgiving or Christmas till Easter, I would be more concerned with traffic and that "sleepy" community becoming gridlocked. Try getting on and off Sanibel on the weekend in season. Its a beautiful area, unfortunately, hundreds or thousands of other folks think so also.
My Wife and I were snowbirds for 3 years and have lived here permanently for 3 years. We are both in our early 60's and active, she plays Tennis, Pickleball, Bowles, and rides bicycles. I stay just as busy with my hobbies also, no time for getting bored. We enjoy it here because we love being outdoors, for us that's the attraction. Planning around the "Season" is a price you pay for living in this area, you learn to adjust. Problem is with all the building going on in Cape Coral, its soon going to be hard to tell when the "season" ends and the summer begins. It will just be the season all year long. lol
Good Luck with your move.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Most of the west coast is sleepy. Naples is one gated community after the other. The retired people are all on the street driving slow. They don’t go home until around Easter.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susandee21 View Post
My family and I have vacationed in Sanibel for years and love it! Now that our youngest is heading off the college soon, we have started looking at homes for the purpose of spending half our time down there. We are in late 50's-early 60's and very active and involved. In all honesty, I'm concerned that I might get bored, as it is a quiet community I'd love to hear the thoughts of some part/ full-time residents. TIA.
Rent for a whole season before you buy that way you will know if it's too boring for you. If you want more excitement buy in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Rent for a whole season before you buy that way you will know if it's too boring for you. If you want more excitement buy in Fort Lauderdale.
Good points although I prefer the warm gulf over the cold Atlantic.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 PM

179 posts, read 347,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Good points although I prefer the warm gulf over the cold Atlantic.
We do a fair amount of boating in both southeast and southwest FL. You actually have it backwards regarding the warmth. While the sea temps are similar in the summer, the SWFL sea temp is much colder in the winter compared to the Southeast FL sea temp ... nearly 10 degrees colder. This is because the Atlantic side has the warm Gulf Stream coming up from the south to prevent it from becoming as cold. (Do not confuse the Atlantic Gulf Stream on the east side with the Gulf of Mexico on the west side).

Here are some sea temp comparisons below. Okay, the sea does get one degree hotter for an average August maximum on the Gulf of Mexico side off Sanibel. 88 versus 87 for a monthly average maximum in August. But, that's not when you need the warmth. Winter and shoulder seasons are when you really want the warmth (or less cold). The average monthly minimum sea temp for January and February is about 10 degrees warmer off Ft. Lauderdale compared to off Sanibel. A little over 62F for sea temp off Sanibel versus a little over 72F sea temp for Ft. Lauderdale for the average monthly minimums in January and February. The warm Atlantic Gulf Stream coming up from the south keeps the Ft. Lauderdale sea temp from getting as cold by about 10 degrees. See links below.
That also keeps the air temp it from getting as cold at night in southeast FL, even though the west side can get a couple degrees warmer for the high temp during the day. The Gulf Stream off southeast FL has a "moderating effect", keeping the lows from getting as low, and also keeping the highs from getting quite as high. But, there is a much greater effect on keeping the lows from getting as cold.

Another bonus for the Atlantic side is that southeast FL overall has much clearer water than SW FL. As boaters, that was our biggest regret of moving to SW FL versus southeast FL. We miss the cleaner water of southeast FL. There are many positive reasons that we picked to live on the west side instead of the east side, but water temp and water clarity are not among them.

Sanibel Sea Temps:
https://www.seatemperature.org/north...es/sanibel.htm

Ft. Lauderdale Sea Temps:
https://www.seatemperature.org/north...lauderdale.htm

Last edited by Living the Florida Dream; 02-21-2018 at 11:08 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Just more congested on that side.

West did get Irma but east gets more hurricanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area