Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,685 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the Fort Myers area (currently in Ohio - tired of the weather year after year). We are in our early 60s and want to go to a retirement community (preferably gated). We're hobbyists rather than sports players, so quiet areas are not a problem, but housing needs to be a little bigger (around 2000-2500 sq ft, new or existing). Our housing price range would be (ideally) 200-250K. Any recommended 55+ communities in nice (low crime, shops/restaurants access) areas around Fort Myers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 AM

374 posts, read 796,238 times
I don’t think 250 K will get you that much square footage. And forget about any place being quiet during snowbird season. Are you looking at a condo or a house? What part of Fort Myers are you interested in?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:23 AM

331 posts, read 453,074 times
You' re budget price for housing won't make it. Look at realtor.com to get a feeling for pricing and square footage. You missed the boat. In 2011 you could have gotten about anything you wanted for that price. Sorry. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM

374 posts, read 796,238 times
$150,000-$200,000 will get you about 800-1000 square feet in an older, wood frame construction community, perhaps with a gate... and not a lot of amenities. And don’t forget you’ll have a monthly HOA fee around $300-500. $250,000 could possibly get you around 1500 square feet in a condo or townhome. Depends on the area. There are HUGE PRICE differences from street to street/area to area. You can have a wonderful association or neighborhood right next to a not so desirable one.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Good luck.

You may consider what we did : do some initial research of developments in the area on the web.

Then Fly down and visit and see what area floats your boat.

We started in Tampa and drove along the gulf coast all the way to Naples and back to Tampa.

We found an area we liked. Flew back a few months later and focused on the general area and visited the builders we preferred.

Found a development that just opened up flew down a few days after it opened and bought the 20th lot out of 350 that will make up the entire development the day we landed!

We preferred new construction over existing, and that may not be your thing.

Your needs may be very different than ours and others on the forum but I strongly recommend “kicking the tyres” and finding what you like by visiting in person. We have plenty of friends living a bit north and south of where we purchased in Florida so it helped measuring their comments in why they liked where they were vs. what we found what we preferred.

We flew Jet Blue and really liked that airline over my many decades of flying with the “main” airlines Delta, Continental etc

Also, visit the forum often and read as much as you can.

Let us know how you do!

Us? New community, new house, 5 mikes to RSW, 9 mikes to the beach, 3 major malls within 1 ½ mikes to 10+ mikes, 5 mikes to the major league spring stadium. Also, young and older (like my young wife and older me). Pool, clubhouse, gym, picnic area inside community. We felt diversity of ages will keep us younger.
Gated community

We look forward to the younger kids especially around Halloween!

Again, our style may not fit your plans but spend the money on airfares, Hotel and car rental before you make a major home purchase.

Last edited by FireStation46; 02-27-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Good luck.

You may consider what we did : do some initial research of developments in the area on the web.

Then Fly down and visit and see what area floats your boat.

We started in Tampa and drove along the gulf coast all the way to Naples and back to Tampa.

We found an area we liked. Flew back a few months later and focused on the general area and visited the builders we preferred.

Found a development that just opened up flew down a few days after it opened and bought the 20th lot out of 350 that will make up the entire development the day we landed!

We preferred new construction over existing, and that may not be your thing.

Your needs may be very different than ours and others on the forum but I strongly recommend “kicking the tyres” and finding what you like by visiting in person. We have plenty of friends living a bit north and south of where we purchased in Florida so it helped measuring their comments in why they liked where they were vs. what we found what we preferred.

We flew Jet Blue and really liked that airline over my many decades of flying with the “main” airlines Delta, Continental etc

Also, visit the forum often and read as much as you can.

Let us know how you do!

Us? New community, new house, 5 mikes to RSW, 9 mikes to the beach, 3 major malls within 1 ½ mikes to 10+ mikes, 5 mikes to the major league spring stadium. Also, young and older (like my young wife and older me). Pool, clubhouse, gym, picnic area inside community. We felt diversity of ages will keep us younger.
Gated community

We look forward to the younger kids especially around Halloween!

Again, our style may not fit your plans but spend the money on airfares, Hotel and car rental before you make a major home purchase.
What community did you end up in?

Thanks

Kim

Old 11-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgslead View Post
What community did you end up in?

Thanks

Kim
A Pulte development

Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 PM

163 posts, read 208,621 times
Don't come here. Go up around Clearwater or St. Pete. Our water is usually filthy, our beach area is old and crusty looking. Traffic during season is horrific. When the old people get here there are wrecks daily ( I saw two yesterday ) making traffic even worse. I wish I would have known about the Lake Okeechobee discharges and the Toxic slime before we bought here

Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
I wish I would have known about the Lake Okeechobee discharges and the Toxic slime before we bought here
I hear you man! Let's get your house on the market and move you some place better. I have a great agent I can recommend that will get your house sold quickly and for top dollar.

let me know if you want the recommendation!

Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 PM

I googled Pulte Sr Living in Florida. Nothing within your budget for new homes.

Try other national/super regional builders to see if they have new inventory that fit your budget.

New/newer homes will not need upgrades, if any. Thet will have better hurricane construction vs. what you have to sink in after initial purchase of lower priced older homes that need upgrades/repairs that fit under your budget.

Or as others have suggested, look for well built condos.

Good luck, let us know what you get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area