U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,834 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am a student at FGCU and in my Real Estate class there has been lot of commotion about increasing development in and around Lee County in recent years. There's also been a lot of talk in the news and even on these very forums about the effects growth has had for residents, such as quality of life, housing prices, traffic, the environment, etc. I am curious to see what some of you think about this issue, and if you'd like, there's a little survey you can fill out here: surveymonkey.com/r/JCR2JX6

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 AM

6,217 posts, read 7,351,702 times
After 27 years as a resident of SW Florida, I'm one of those on my way out of here.

Literally packing up as I write, and my first load headed north to quieter digs tomorrow.

It's truly sad that this area has finally reached critical mass and is being taken over by rude, lost and frankly stupid newcomers( sorry, got my Donald Trump on there, not all newcomers are rude, lost or stupid, but may display any combination of those traits at any moment ).......but you can't stop progress.

Supply and demand dictates the increasing price point. The same is holding true all over Florida at this point. In addition to the northern resettlers coming to Florida, huge numbers of folks from hurricane ravaged Puerto Rico are settling all over the state. In Ocala, apartments that rented for $895.00 at the end of October, are up to just shy of $1200.00 now.......and rising.

SW Florida is not the anomoly, but a victim of the same circumstances affecting the entire region. The only cure for the urban "disaffected" such as my self, is to flee the city, and head for rural environments. Thankfully there are still some small towns further north that fit the bill, and will, for the rest of my lifetime.

But quite frankly, when the first McDonald's is opened in or near the tiny place I am headed too, it will be lauded as a wonderful step toward growth and convenience by the folks that live there.......you can't stop progress.

I would like to take your survey, but as the old sayin' goes. You can't get there from here. A more direct link to it would be helpful.

CN

Old 02-28-2018, 07:21 AM

14,623 posts, read 8,842,728 times
My family moved here in 1960 when I was only 4 and I have seen many, many changes. My biggest issue is the traffic. There absolutely needs to be some overpasses at major intersections especially Colonial & Summerlin. There seems to be no real "planning" when the county has two baseball spring training centers in the same general area causing major gridlock on Daniel's Pkwy. They keep building but the roads aren't being added and the more building that goes on, the more native animals that are displaced. It's sad.

More apartments are being built but none of them have reasonable rent. If you're single and living here you need to be making about $4K a month. Rents are high, salaries are low for many people. There are a lot of people in the service industry which has always been a low paying type of job. I don't know how some of them survive. Apartments that were $600 eight years ago are now over $1200. My sister's friend saw her rent go up $400 when she renewed. It's crazy. I miss the Lee County of 10-20 years ago. If I hadn't bought a house recently I would consider getting out of here myself and head to North Florida or possibly Tennessee.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 11,516,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbraden View Post
Hi everyone! I am a student at FGCU and in my Real Estate class there has been lot of commotion about increasing development in and around Lee County in recent years. There's also been a lot of talk in the news and even on these very forums about the effects growth has had for residents, such as quality of life, housing prices, traffic, the environment, etc. I am curious to see what some of you think about this issue, and if you'd like, there's a little survey you can fill out here: surveymonkey.com/r/JCR2JX6

Thanks!
I would not say in recent years, I think only within the last 1 or 2 years has the building began again as all the older foreclosed homes have been bought and many resold.

When I moved to the area I did see a few homes being built on Cultural Park Blvd in Cape Coral but not many other places.

In the last few months they started a huge project where they are building many large apartment buildings all part of one development on Pine Island Rd in Cape Coral near the new Walmart Neighborhood Market.

All the older homes in decent shape that were being sold cheap are gone, i think i got the last one. In 2 years my property value has gone up about 30%. Now the older double wide mobile homes in 55 plus parks that own the lot and selling for $70k. These are mostly homes from the 70s that are technically worthless and were built much before the current hurricane standards.

I always grew up in a city so this area is fine with me.

The scariest thing is how many open buildable lots and land there are in Lee County.

Since Broward county (Ft Lauderdale area) is full and expensive people will want to move here instead.

When Cape Coral starts putting in sewers and city water in the more rural sections the growth will increase.

Even around Cape Coral just across from City Hall there are a lot of empty lots that are in an area with city sewer and water.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 8,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
After 27 years as a resident of SW Florida, I'm one of those on my way out of here.

Literally packing up as I write, and my first load headed north to quieter digs tomorrow.

It's truly sad that this area has finally reached critical mass and is being taken over by rude, lost and frankly stupid newcomers( sorry, got my Donald Trump on there, not all newcomers are rude, lost or stupid, but may display any combination of those traits at any moment ).......but you can't stop progress.

Supply and demand dictates the increasing price point. The same is holding true all over Florida at this point. In addition to the northern resettlers coming to Florida, huge numbers of folks from hurricane ravaged Puerto Rico are settling all over the state. In Ocala, apartments that rented for $895.00 at the end of October, are up to just shy of $1200.00 now.......and rising.

SW Florida is not the anomoly, but a victim of the same circumstances affecting the entire region. The only cure for the urban "disaffected" such as my self, is to flee the city, and head for rural environments. Thankfully there are still some small towns further north that fit the bill, and will, for the rest of my lifetime.

But quite frankly, when the first McDonald's is opened in or near the tiny place I am headed too, it will be lauded as a wonderful step toward growth and convenience by the folks that live there.......you can't stop progress.

I would like to take your survey, but as the old sayin' goes. You can't get there from here. A more direct link to it would be helpful.

CN
Thanks for your comments, I have met a lot of people who agree with many of things you memtioned, but many ok there who like the growth, it's a very interesting prospect. Heres a more accebile link to the survey if you wish to take it too,
https://goo.gl/kaqS7b

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,196,901 times
Things change over time

Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 AM

13,248 posts, read 27,517,564 times
Two years was more than enough for me. Coming from a small community in NJ about 45 miles west of NYC was surprised my husband wanted to move to Cape Coral. Too many people, too much traffic for me.

Relocated to a small coastal NC town, now just hoping that dam condo sells soon!!!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM

31,371 posts, read 16,000,938 times
I am originally from NJ and used to heavy traffic. I live in Cape Coral and bought a house in 2009. I moved here permanently in 2016 selling my home in NJ.

I like that the canals keep traffic to a minimum in my neighborhood.

I don't think the planners have enough through roads to get to the main roads and not enough main roads to hold the traffic. They need to think ahead. They didn't. It is a joke what they did on 24th Ave and Pine Island road. THEY NEED A TRAFFIC LIGHT. WHERE IS OUR TAX DOLLARS. Not enough street lighting either.

The build up on 24th and Pine Island is bad planning. Putting that many condos on a main road is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area