Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:52 AM

16 posts, read 26,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs1987 View Post
Hello Everyone! Sorry in advance for being long, I just figured the more context the better!

My fiance and I considering moving to Ft. Myers area for a potential job opportunity from Jersey City, NJ (right across the Hudson from NYC).

While we have lived and worked in/around NYC for several years we are definitely not your typical New Yorkers. We like a slower pace of life and have been looking at moving to FL for a while. My boyfriend is originally from Brandon outside of Tampa - and he wants to grow up to play golf all day and be Jimmy Buffet haha. Ft. Myers is outside of where we were originally looking, so trying to get more of a handle on the area.

I am just wondering, if you work in Ft. Myers, where do most of the young professionals types live/hang out? I know it is a big snowbird/retirement area, but it seems like it is more up and coming for a younger demographic recently. I see that the River District in downtown Ft. Myers seems popular but wondering what neighbors/areas folks would recommend to live. We don't need to be able to walk to our entertainment but wouldn't mind being a 15/20min Uber ride away.

A little background on us, we are both 30 years old, no kids (hopefully some day), but we have a 60lb coonhound who is like our child. We want to rent before we own but mostly looking at townhome rentals or single family home rentals (we currently live in a TINY apartment (690 sqft), and want a different style of living so avoiding high rise apartment buildings and complexes). Our rental budget is about $1,800 per month.

For me, I am really looking for an area with a strong community feel. I grew up in a small town and I love that sense of community - I want to know my neighbors! I like funky little areas with good food and good people. I also love historic areas but know that may not be attainable in this area. We like being able to take long walks with the dog somewhere nice/safe, enjoy going out to eat, grabbing drinks out, and attending community events like street fairs and festivals. We would love to be around other young professionals!

Any recommendations? We are really open so willing to consider any cool areas within a 45 min commute of Ft. Myers.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

P.S. I have read through alot of threads and have seen alot of folks warning about the move to Florida from MYC being a culture shock....So before the warning about moving to FL start, we know Florida is quirky but we like that! We are SO READY to say good my to NY/NJ! We are ready to say goodbye to winter, a crazy pace of living, and the CRAZY expensive cost of living. Our closest family and friends are spread out across Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, etc) and we want to be apart of their lives without getting on a plane!

I'm 33 years old and moved to Fort Myers 15 months ago for a job. I also moved down here from up North. The area mostly caters to retirees. Even though it is getting diversified as more and more people relocate here from cities with high costs of living, at the end of the day, it still is a retirement mecca. I was even discriminated against at the Barbara B Mann for being young, if that can give you an idea!

I would have a hard time recommending you a particular area according to your wants.

Last edited by chinotto_21; 06-27-2018 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:19 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I've lived here on and off since 1960. While it used to be a huge retirement mecca, it is not like that anymore. Just looking at some of the posts on here you can see how a lot of younger people are moving down.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've lived here on and off since 1960. While it used to be a huge retirement mecca, it is not like that anymore. Just looking at some of the posts on here you can see how a lot of younger people are moving down.

probably less than the amount leaving

Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Ft. Myers isn't great but it's a lot better than Naples, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, Bradenton and many othet parts of Florida for young professionals. Also, since you are getting married and presumably starting a family soon, you are moving on from the young professional demographic to family demographic. Bars, clubbing and partying are going to be the least of your concerns with a couple babies to take care of. Also, the biggest complaints are towards young singles and finding partners. Again, that doesnt apply to you. There's 725,000 people in Lee County and thats growing by 25 to 30 thousand a year. Within 10 years, the population will overtake Jacksonville approaching 1 million. It's a high growth area with many career opportunities, especially in real estate, development, construction and remodeling/contractor services. It will be an area in transition from retiree to more diversified as retirees look elsewhere because of overcrowding and more job opportunities attract working age populations. It's a predictable pattern. 30 years ago Miami Beach was a retirement paradise. The retirees died off and never came back replaced by younger demographics.

The sun, water and warm winter temps will always attract people to Florida. Ignore the haters.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
I have lived in NYC, summer sucks. St. Louis, amazing humidity with the heat. Atlanta, hot too. We will retire to SWFL and look forward to it. Gated community, no age restrictions, pool, club house, gym all on site and the beach, when not green with Lake O run off is a short drive.

Our neighboors are all sorts. We have young married with small children and mid level working execs with and without kids and older folks like myself.

The attitude you bring and how well you can mingle with all types of folks will determine if you feel you fit in anywhere you move into.

With no urgent need to buy, as renters, keeping the lease short enough, you can bail out and try another location that suits your needs. Eventually, you will find an area where you may want to buy.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:46 AM

109 posts, read 122,348 times
`Dear KDubs

I am also young professional in late 30s from NJ, and lived in DC and Florida and currently looking to move again to another young professional, warmer, less costly (than DC) area. I do like NJ people and wallkablity, character, community but you are right, its so overpriced for rundown, old buildings. Its not worth it. In DC, its expensive but usually quality of life is better and young populations plus wakabiliy, but lack of character, creative people and well lets just say one-sided: politics, and people without flavor except inner city then it gets crazy really quick. I also looking for slower pace of life thus the south

For your purpose, I would say dont let the debbie downers side track you, trust yourself. I agree Florida is older but in my experience living in Naples and near Estero, more and more younger couples are moving in due to increased middle class, and companies like Hertz creating their HQ there. Plus there is alot of more artisitc people coming to entertain the richer snowbirds which is great. I also like the restaurant scene because that is my career interest and see more and more healthy local chefs creating good stuff

I agree Naples is too expensive in most areas and kind of filled with snowbirds but it is shifting especially in Estero and Bonita. I think that the area near FGCU would be good because its near all the young people in Fort Myers, where Gulf Coast Town Center is. THere is alot going on there and good shopping. I also like driving there because roads are wider and for me (someone who hates driving) that says alot.

I know also that Bonita has more affordable areas that are farther from beach but I think that if you live in a nice development or at least rent there, then hopefully you will meet people in the community. I think that was my mistake, I wanted to live in one of those gated communities where people go for walks with their dogs however I did not choose that kind of place. Community for me is huge part of contentment so I hope you can take a trip and explore those areas. I hope that this site of city date continues to be helpful for people as it was for me. Sometimes I think people become condescending because who knows what kind of day they had. Okay peace

sg

Old 07-09-2018, 06:46 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Kdubs1987

I would love to know how the trip to check out neighborhoods went.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 40,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Kdubs1987

I would love to know how the trip to check out neighborhoods went.
It went well!! I really liked the area...the downtown was really cool, I wasn't sure what to expect based on folks comments but I loved it! Lots of cool little spots (we ate dinner at the place that is like ski lodge themed and it was SO GOOD!).

I was also struck by how clean and well manicured it is in many of the areas...coming from NYC/Jersey I am sure to trash on the sides of the road and such.

The only downside to me was how spread out everything is...that would be a big adjustment for us but not a huge problem.

We checked out a couple townhome/apartment communities (I really liked the Ashlar), but I agree with everyone's suggestions that the Gateway area or the McGregor area seem like the best fit based on proximity to things we like to do.

Now it is just a wait and see what happens with the potential job! But I could see living there happily!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
`Dear KDubs

I am also young professional in late 30s from NJ, and lived in DC and Florida and currently looking to move again to another young professional, warmer, less costly (than DC) area. I do like NJ people and wallkablity, character, community but you are right, its so overpriced for rundown, old buildings. Its not worth it. In DC, its expensive but usually quality of life is better and young populations plus wakabiliy, but lack of character, creative people and well lets just say one-sided: politics, and people without flavor except inner city then it gets crazy really quick. I also looking for slower pace of life thus the south

For your purpose, I would say dont let the debbie downers side track you, trust yourself. I agree Florida is older but in my experience living in Naples and near Estero, more and more younger couples are moving in due to increased middle class, and companies like Hertz creating their HQ there. Plus there is alot of more artisitc people coming to entertain the richer snowbirds which is great. I also like the restaurant scene because that is my career interest and see more and more healthy local chefs creating good stuff

I agree Naples is too expensive in most areas and kind of filled with snowbirds but it is shifting especially in Estero and Bonita. I think that the area near FGCU would be good because its near all the young people in Fort Myers, where Gulf Coast Town Center is. THere is alot going on there and good shopping. I also like driving there because roads are wider and for me (someone who hates driving) that says alot.

I know also that Bonita has more affordable areas that are farther from beach but I think that if you live in a nice development or at least rent there, then hopefully you will meet people in the community. I think that was my mistake, I wanted to live in one of those gated communities where people go for walks with their dogs however I did not choose that kind of place. Community for me is huge part of contentment so I hope you can take a trip and explore those areas. I hope that this site of city date continues to be helpful for people as it was for me. Sometimes I think people become condescending because who knows what kind of day they had. Okay peace

sg

Thank you so much! This is super helpful! I haven't looked much at Bonita but Estero seems pretty cool and, I agree, from everything I am seeing seems to be shifting. We went down last week to explore and it was so nice to see everything first hand and get my bearings!

This thread has been hugely helpful for me! Not everyone has as positive and outlook on the area (as you've mentioned) but I really had no idea where to start and folks on here have been really helpful! Thank you!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I have lived in NYC, summer sucks. St. Louis, amazing humidity with the heat. Atlanta, hot too. We will retire to SWFL and look forward to it. Gated community, no age restrictions, pool, club house, gym all on site and the beach, when not green with Lake O run off is a short drive.

Our neighboors are all sorts. We have young married with small children and mid level working execs with and without kids and older folks like myself.

The attitude you bring and how well you can mingle with all types of folks will determine if you feel you fit in anywhere you move into.

With no urgent need to buy, as renters, keeping the lease short enough, you can bail out and try another location that suits your needs. Eventually, you will find an area where you may want to buy.

Good luck.

Haha yes! NYC in the summer does suck! Nothing like standing on a subway platform in 100 degree and humidity (and the only relief is the hot gross wind coming from an approaching subway car), then getting on the only subway car without air conditioning to teach you what you are made of ahaha!

Im thinking renting in a gated community would be the right move, seems like the best way to meet ppl at first (plus having amenities like that would be a dream!) Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area