U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 29,467 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are relocating from the North for work and I am flying down this weekend (6/30/18) to start exploring neighborhoods and get a better sense of the area. We are young professional in our early 30's, no kids just yet but a dog. We plan to rent for at least the first year, with a $1,700-$1,900 budget.

From recommendations I have seen on here, we are going to check out the Gateway, Estero, Mcgregor Blvd areas.

I was also wondering about Villas, Biggar (looks like is closer to the beach) areas and San Carlos Park/Golf Coast Center (might be too young for us since its near the college) area. Thoughts?

Any thoughts on where else to look? Open to hearing about specific town home communities!

We are looking at single family homes and town home communities, mainly so the dog will have more room (not so much apartments - but willing to consider it).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:33 PM

43,696 posts, read 20,233,618 times
Funny you mentioned Biggar. I had never heard of it....but was checking out an address of a relative who lives down here....and it turns out it is smack in the middle of that area. I didnt know that name for that area. I have been over that way and it looks well worth your while to look into it.

I don't know anything wrong with Villas.....I go past there all the time on my way to and fro. It seems a bit busy to me....but I could be wrong. I have no first hand knowledge.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,109,875 times
No idea as to neighborhoods, but I would suggest doing a hot lap around the activities that you enjoy. That means if you plan on going to the beach a lot, make a pass through the area to see how it would fit into your plans.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:26 AM

14,313 posts, read 7,557,165 times
The Villas is one of our older communities and parts of it are quite dumpy. Ditto for parts of San Carlos Park. The Villas is also near busy roads. I lived in Gateway for four years and loved it. They have houses, condos and townhomes there. It also has a "up north" feel to it with all the trees. Most parts of Gateway didn't even lose electricity during Hurricane Irma last year.

Stay away from Dunbar, Harlem Heights and basically anything north of Colonial Blvd. Estero is nice also.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 AM

San Marcos Park and Biggar, which you asked about yesterday, seem to be in the same general area....so I would plan to check them out the same day. Good Luck.

I agree with the previous recommendation for Gateway communities. I love it here.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:54 PM

297 posts, read 433,991 times
Are you working from home? Sounds odd, but traffic can play a factor if you use I75 to commute. Ft. Meyers to Naples every evening is very heavy, most nights its moving just slow for a couple of hours. Traffic isn't like being in the NE. but still plays a factor. From Alico Rd south into N. Naples runs Three Oaks Parkway it becomes Livingston Rd in Collier County. you will get tired of looking at communities along that road. Very well manicured entrances, but I honestly haven't gone into most of them. Their are several to choose from.
As you go south from Ft. Myers, the closer you get to Naples and Collier County, the higher property values will be. Good Luck

Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 AM

Have a good flight and good luck neighborhood hunting and Welcome to Ft Myers.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:12 AM

13,172 posts, read 26,600,524 times
Happy Hunting!! You are very wise to explore during the summer to see if you can deal with the heat.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:14 AM

Default Hot Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Happy Hunting!! You are very wise to explore during the summer to see if you can deal with the heat.
It will be hard to deal with the heat in Maine, NH, Vt, NY and across to Michigan .... all across the central and eastern US.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 AM

13,172 posts, read 26,600,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It will be hard to deal with the heat in Maine, NH, Vt, NY and across to Michigan .... all across the central and eastern US.
Short lived!!! It will not be 88 degrees in those places in October. SWFL is hot except for maybe Jan & Feb
A few years ago it was 88 degrees on Christmas. Some move there because they visited in Dec, anyone thinking of moving there is wise to explore in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area