Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 34,639 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm just curious. I live in South Florida (a software engineer.) My wife and I regularly travel to Ft. Myers for mini-vacations with the kids visiting Sanibel for the beaches, and shell collecting, etc. We love it.

I love it.

I just wonder what's the economic profile of residents in Sanibel, because homes there aren't cheap. Crossing that bridge to Ft. Myer's ain't cheap.

Looking at salary maps, I see that residents make good salaries.

So just out of curiosity, what kind of professionals or high-salaried people live there.

I'm asking in earnest and purely out of curiosity (I will be making a similar thread for Naples, another favorite travel destination of ours.)

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis.espinal View Post
Hi.

I'm just curious. I live in South Florida (a software engineer.) My wife and I regularly travel to Ft. Myers for mini-vacations with the kids visiting Sanibel for the beaches, and shell collecting, etc. We love it.

I love it.

I just wonder what's the economic profile of residents in Sanibel, because homes there aren't cheap. Crossing that bridge to Ft. Myer's ain't cheap.

Looking at salary maps, I see that residents make good salaries.

So just out of curiosity, what kind of professionals or high-salaried people live there.

I'm asking in earnest and purely out of curiosity (I will be making a similar thread for Naples, another favorite travel destination of ours.)

Thanks.
Most are independently wealthy or own service/tourism based businesses. Not many people live on Sanibel/Captiva and travel into "town" to work. If anything 90% of commuter traffic would be the "help" coming from inland to work in those mentioned service based businesses.

There may be an odd politician, lawyer, financial adivsor, or Dr livng on the island and commuting bu that is few and far between the normal.

I was born and raised on Sanibel so can speak from experience.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:43 AM

320 posts, read 608,845 times
I concur with SWFL_Native..

We are fortunate to service many customers on the island. The community interactions I have participated in have enabled me to meet many fulltime and part time residents on the island. Quite a few Doctors (retired and practicing) 2nd home owners, where Sanibel is their weekend or winter destination.

What you have to love about our area; whatever the hobby is, we probably have a home that will suit it. Sanibel is definitely for the fisherman / beach gower lifestyle.

Wife and I recently spent the weekend on the beach, Sanibel Inns, LeCeilo, The Cracked Egg. Great service, great people, great food.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,703,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Most are independently wealthy or own service/tourism based businesses. Not many people live on Sanibel/Captiva and travel into "town" to work. If anything 90% of commuter traffic would be the "help" coming from inland to work in those mentioned service based businesses.

There may be an odd politician, lawyer, financial adivsor, or Dr livng on the island and commuting bu that is few and far between the normal.

I was born and raised on Sanibel so can speak from experience.

That is a very accurate description. The average person living on Sanibel is not living paycheck to paycheck. There is some very serious, old money there, and a few celebrities tucked in behind those gates for good measure.

But I do like their bike path, it's free !

Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 PM

39 posts, read 34,639 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Anyone would care to comment for a similar question about Naples? That's another place we visit frequently, and we notice also an agglomeration of high-earners. In fact, a new article in Bloomberg shows the Naples area as one of the several in the nation with 10% of more households making over $200K a year.

I would imagine Naple's economic profile being different from Sanibel.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,326,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis.espinal View Post
Thank you all for your responses.

Anyone would care to comment for a similar question about Naples? That's another place we visit frequently, and we notice also an agglomeration of high-earners. In fact, a new article in Bloomberg shows the Naples area as one of the several in the nation with 10% of more households making over $200K a year.

I would imagine Naple's economic profile being different from Sanibel.
Lots of millionaires and billionaires have homes (seasonally ) in Naples. I don't know if they count though.

Yes, lots of high earners in Naples.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM

331 posts, read 447,479 times
Yes, the economic profile is very different. Sanibel is a small Island and Naples is a city of over 30k. The line of what is Naples and what is not is fuzzy to a great many people. A great many areas match or exceed the housing found on Sanibel and there is many more businesses, eateries, and shopping to cater to this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area