Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 08:22 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,971,423 times

Advertisements

Tired of managing rentals from 2000 miles away. Selling both homes in Ft Myers. A tenant is asking "how much?"

Was planning on fixing it up first. It has been a rental for six years and is looking rough as a result.

Trying to get values off the internet is dicey of course. Old neighborhood (Tice). Two bedroom, one bath. City water. Nice lot at end of cul-de-sac. Built in 1957. 600 square feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,362,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Tired of managing rentals from 2000 miles away. Selling both homes in Ft Myers. A tenant is asking "how much?"

Was planning on fixing it up first. It has been a rental for six years and is looking rough as a result.

Trying to get values off the internet is dicey of course. Old neighborhood (Tice). Two bedroom, one bath. City water. Nice lot at end of cul-de-sac. Built in 1957. 600 square feet.
both homes are in the same general area?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,336,875 times
Quote:

Why is it looking rough? Don't you have a management company? That area has become less desirable every year. Try Zillow or get a realtor to give you an idea of what the home is worth.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Why is it looking rough? Don't you have a management company? That area has become less desirable every year. Try Zillow or get a realtor to give you an idea of what the home is worth.
It’s in Tice.... not a nice area and not one that attracts top notch tenants/residents That area has been a crappy area for years and years.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:39 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,971,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
both homes are in the same general area?
The other is in Lehigh Acres, built in 1977. Good neighborhood but off the beaten track which many renters see as a negative. There is a third, built in 2007, but the tenant is good. I doubt I'd ever sell a home with a good tenant.

My property manager quit in June for a variety of reasons. The greatest being the "worlds worst tenant" in Lehigh Acres. Hasn't paid a dime in 10 months and says they are suing everybody. Professional deadbeats with a history of being evicted. Unbelievable how such people can use and abuse the system. They were having custom furniture delivered when I was there last. They get paid for living there and he managed to get on disability after telling us he could fix the roof. Never lifted a finger on the roof of course.

I seen an online real estate appraisal claiming the small home that this thread is about has dropped in value from ~$60,000 to ~$45,000. Wondering what is going on.

Difficult to collect rent without a property manager unless a tenant is good. He wants someone to "clean the house." At this point, I prefer to fix it back up and sell it. Very hard to make money unless one can do much of the labor. Helps to avoid management fees of course. Which have gone up a lot according to my latest foray.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,780,928 times
Quote:

No they have not. I mean maybe a slight decrease since prices have gone up so high.

A home like that if it can get FHA finance should fetch $75K late 2015 it would have been going for about $40K.

I bought a small 3/1 in early 2016 and I got in just before prices went crazy and my home has doubled in price in 2 years.

Starter homes are all people can afford and they are going fast.

ask a realtor to give you an estimate.

Someone can get a mortgage and pay about $600 or less a month including taxes and insurance.

Just check Realtor.com there is nothing or almost nothing in stand alone homes that are selling for less than $100K, if there are any they go instantly pending. I think investors would be interested too as rents are rising.

Redfin has higher values than other sites, I think they must uses a per foot price in the area in their algorithm.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 10-29-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The other is in Lehigh Acres, built in 1977. Good neighborhood but off the beaten track which many renters see as a negative. There is a third, built in 2007, but the tenant is good. I doubt I'd ever sell a home with a good tenant.

My property manager quit in June for a variety of reasons. The greatest being the "worlds worst tenant" in Lehigh Acres. Hasn't paid a dime in 10 months and says they are suing everybody. Professional deadbeats with a history of being evicted. Unbelievable how such people can use and abuse the system. They were having custom furniture delivered when I was there last. They get paid for living there and he managed to get on disability after telling us he could fix the roof. Never lifted a finger on the roof of course.

I seen an online real estate appraisal claiming the small home that this thread is about has dropped in value from ~$60,000 to ~$45,000. Wondering what is going on.

Difficult to collect rent without a property manager unless a tenant is good. He wants someone to "clean the house." At this point, I prefer to fix it back up and sell it. Very hard to make money unless one can do much of the labor. Helps to avoid management fees of course. Which have gone up a lot according to my latest foray.
Never rent without getting a great background check nationwide and making sure than the people renting have never been evicted, have no criminal record and have good credit.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 AM

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-08310?view=qv

Here is a 2/1 in North Fort Myers. under 600 sq ft and they are asking $110K.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,336,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No they have not. I mean maybe a slight decrease since prices have gone up so high.

A home like that if it can get FHA finance should fetch $75K late 2015 it would have been going for about $40K.

Starter homes are all people can afford and they are going fast.

Someone can get a mortgage and pay about $600 or less a month including taxes and insurance.

Just check Realtor.com there is nothing or almost nothing in stand alone homes that are selling for less than $100K, if there are any they go instantly pending. I think investors would be interested too as rents are rising.

IMO what I bolded is part of the problem for young people trying to buy their first house. The investors get to them first, slap a little cosmetic work on them and then rent them out for over $1000 a month. Many of them pay cash and what buyer wouldn't want to sell quickly for cash?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
IMO what I bolded is part of the problem for young people trying to buy their first house. The investors get to them first, slap a little cosmetic work on them and then rent them out for over $1000 a month. Many of them pay cash and what buyer wouldn't want to sell quickly for cash?
It's not as bad anymore with prices going up. When small homes were still going for $50K it was a problem but now that they are costing closer to $100K and up it's not worth it for them to rent them for $1K a month or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area