Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM

99 posts, read 109,497 times

Advertisements

I am in the research stage of a move to Florida. One of the areas I'm investigating is the Fort Myers area.

The most important feature I'm looking for is the right HOA for me. Particularly, I want one that doesn't allow pets (or at least dogs), no kids, strict noise rules, as well as solid appearance standards. Preferably gated. Essentially, I am looking for that HOA which most would despise.

I don't need any of the other amenities that can come with associations like clubhouses, golf courses, swimming pools, and the like.

Unfortunately, I am only 52 so that knocks out 55+ possibilities.

I have conducted searches on here, Realtor.com, Zillow, and Google and haven't been able to find either home listings with such restrictions or potential HOAs.

Does anyone have any leads?

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,163,665 times
If I'm not mistaken unless you go into a 55+ community you're not going to find a community that doesn't allow kids. Years ago I worked at the local paper in classified and some landlords would specify "no pets or kids" in their ads. One day it wasn't legal anymore for a landlord not to allow kids unless it was a 55 and older community/apartment.

Sounds like you will make a fun neighbor....

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,857,180 times
Lie about your age...….no one is going to check

Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If I'm not mistaken unless you go into a 55+ community you're not going to find a community that doesn't allow kids. Years ago I worked at the local paper in classified and some landlords would specify "no pets or kids" in their ads. One day it wasn't legal anymore for a landlord not to allow kids unless it was a 55 and older community/apartment.

Do you know of any HOAs which might fit my needs, dismissing the kids requirement? I have read a lot on City-Data about intrusive Florida HOAs but can't seem to find information on specific ones.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Lie about your age...….no one is going to check

I didn't realize that. I do look more like 45 though. Is it pretty universal that HOAs don't worry about age in the 55+ communities? They certainly would be a better match for my needs.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM

By the way, I am looking for a single family home versus a condo.

I talked with a realtor in another area of Florida and he said that associations of single family homes in that area don't ban pets/dogs, only some condo associations.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,323,521 times
As long as 1 person on the deed is 55+ you're fine..can you get your mom or dad to go on the deed with you (but not live there obviously).

55+ places are more strict on pets, but houses do tend to allow dogs for homeowners.

You're gonna need someone on the ground doing the research for you, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. Let me know if you need a Rec for Ft Myers.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,983 times
Still, i would think 55+ wil have grandkids over. Not long but I am not aware or any absolute no kid developments.

We went the opposite route after visiting many 55+. For use, its fun to see all age groups and pets.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
As long as 1 person on the deed is 55+ you're fine..can you get your mom or dad to go on the deed with you (but not live there obviously).

55+ places are more strict on pets, but houses do tend to allow dogs for homeowners.

You're gonna need someone on the ground doing the research for you, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. Let me know if you need a Rec for Ft Myers.

Well, that is something to consider. My mom, who lives in frigid Vermont, has already been dropping hints about visiting.

Agreed, on driving myself crazy trying to find answers. If you know someone who has the pulse of the Fort Myers area that would be great. I'm fine with casting a wide net around Fort Myers. When I began thinking about this move I was optimistic but with the information I have so far gathered I question if what I need exists. I just don't think I can move to Florida if there is a potential for barking dogs next door.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Still, i would think 55+ wil have grandkids over. Not long but I am not aware or any absolute no kid developments.

We went the opposite route after visiting many 55+. For use, its fun to see all age groups and pets.

Good luck with your search!

Kids are not as big a deal as dogs to me.

I sure love dogs, even friendly cats. I just don't like owners who allow their dogs to bark. In such tight quarters as are houses in Florida that is asking for major annoyance for me without restrictions. Unfortunately, my dog, who hasn't left my side in 9 years, has bone cancer and doesn't have long to live. Because of that, it occurred to me that one of the strict HOAs that I had heard of might work for me. I imagine I will volunteer at a rescue once he is gone to get my dog fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area