Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You can have it. I wouldn’t live in that area, or yours for that matter, even if my life depended on it. I have higher standards.
You must have believed Trump when he said "you're the elite".

Anywho, where you live does not determine what kind of person you are, in fact it shows a bad character to look down on others because of where they live and I would rather live in a teepee than look down on others or think that I'm better than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Resident owned mobile home parks 55+ communities are plentiful in Florida. They seem to sustain hurricanes..thus far.

If I am paying $30K-60K to purchase a mobile home in a 55+ community where I own the lot and for around $200 a month or less to have use of a resort type lifestyle. Heated pools, spa's, billiards, shuffle board, tennis, community activities, Wi-Fi, cable TV etc.

If a hurricane should happen to come through and rip the home apart. I would still own the lot worth (from what I have seen just the lots sell for) between $15-$30K. To me worth the risk..and I would just put another mobile home on the lot and/or just sell the empty lot. Considering the past history of the weather and prior mobile home park damage in Florida from my online searching. There really has not been very many parks or mobile homes that have been destroyed by the Florida weather. I believe they have to have hurricane tie downs from what I read that sustain winds up to 140mph. Of course that does not stop the roofs from blowing off and/or other damages.

I was hoping I would hear from people who actually live in one of these communities or have lived in one prior or known someone who has that could provide some input.

I guess I did not expect opinions from people who do not have any hands on experiences or who do not have any desire to live in a community such as a 55+ resident owned park.

Some retired people do not need a lot of material things in life anymore. I am planning to get rid of most of the things we have accumulated over the years and downsize to almost nothing, live simple, and cheap. When you get older you realize you really do not need all that stuff, at one time we owned 4 stick built homes on acreage all at once. Yikes never again.. too much cost on maintenance, stress, taxes.

I'm ready for simple home living, low monthly payments, low taxes but yet have access too resort style living with all the amenities. By doing this would really make our retirement nest egg stretch out a lot longer. We could enjoy taking vacations to various places for weeks to months at a time and not worry about costs if our main place of residence was inexpensive, simple and comfortable.

When your children are all grown and on with their own lives, for us anyways - we do not need or want much.. no longer want the stress that goes with owning and maintaining material things in life anymore, plus when we pass away less for our children to have to deal with or argue about.

Some of the parks really do look nice and not trashy at all thus why I thought asking in this forum may provide valuable input from those who have already experienced this type of lifestyle or were considering.

Last edited by 1freespirit; 10-20-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM

It beats renting if you can get a MH and a lot for under $60K it's a good deal especially if HOA fees are under $200 some people in other parks rent the lots for $700 a month or more and own the home but really own nothing. Their lot rent will go up and in 10 years they will be paying $1000 a month which is $60K in 5 years of renting a lot. Similar homes with lots cost about $120K in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You must have believed Trump when he said "you're the elite".

Anywho, where you live does not determine what kind of person you are, in fact it shows a bad character to look down on others because of where they live and I would rather live in a teepee than look down on others or think that I'm better than they are.
You live in Suncaost Estates.... not much different than the area the OP posted. If you’d want to live in a crime ridden ghetto, more power to you. I’d rather not. Elite? Yes, I must be one of the elite because I refuse to live in the ghetto.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Resident owned mobile home parks 55+ communities are plentiful in Florida. They seem to sustain hurricanes..thus far.

If I am paying $30K-60K to purchase a mobile home in a 55+ community where I own the lot and for around $200 a month or less to have use of a resort type lifestyle. Heated pools, spa's, billiards, shuffle board, tennis, community activities, Wi-Fi, cable TV etc.

If a hurricane should happen to come through and rip the home apart. I would still own the lot worth (from what I have seen just the lots sell for) between $15-$30K. To me worth the risk..and I would just put another mobile home on the lot and/or just sell the empty lot. Considering the past history of the weather and prior mobile home park damage in Florida from my online searching. There really has not been very many parks or mobile homes that have been destroyed by the Florida weather. I believe they have to have hurricane tie downs from what I read that sustain winds up to 140mph. Of course that does not stop the roofs from blowing off and/or other damages.

I was hoping I would hear from people who actually live in one of these communities or have lived in one prior or known someone who has that could provide some input.

I guess I did not expect opinions from people who do not have any hands on experiences or who do not have any desire to live in a community such as a 55+ resident owned park.

Some retired people do not need a lot of material things in life anymore. I am planning to get rid of most of the things we have accumulated over the years and downsize to almost nothing, live simple, and cheap. When you get older you realize you really do not need all that stuff, at one time we owned 4 stick built homes on acreage all at once. Yikes never again.. too much cost on maintenance, stress, taxes.

I'm ready for simple home living, low monthly payments, low taxes but yet have access too resort style living with all the amenities. By doing this would really make our retirement nest egg stretch out a lot longer. We could enjoy taking vacations to various places for weeks to months at a time and not worry about costs if our main place of residence was inexpensive, simple and comfortable.

When your children are all grown and on with their own lives, for us anyways - we do not need or want much.. no longer want the stress that goes with owning and maintaining material things in life anymore, plus when we pass away less for our children to have to deal with or argue about.

Some of the parks really do look nice and not trashy at all thus why I thought asking in this forum may provide valuable input from those who have already experienced this type of lifestyle or were considering.

Do you live in this area? Everyone knows the area you posted is not a nice area. At all.

There a lot of communities in this area.. but you need to know the area before you decide

Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post

Sorry that, like many folks who post here, you have to deal with garbage posts, when seeking legitimate information. Sadly, unlike some other forums, this one seems to be polluted with a small minority of members that have nothing better to do but post negative garbage, since they don't have a real life.

Your plan is solid, and you will find what you are looking for. I've met owners while working on a volunteer crew, building wheelchair ramps for veterans in resident owned parks in the Sebring area, and now having friends in my snowbird area, north of Tampa, who live in resident owned parks. In all cases I've seen, the residents were happy and very loyal to their communities. I would strongly suggest that you narrow your choice down to the one park that you think will make you happy, then find a full winter season rental in the park. Nothing beats being able to spend 4-6 months at a place you are looking to invest in, to get the real feel of the place, and gain a ton of knowledge that you would never learn otherwise.

Good luck and enjoy your upcoming winter!

Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
You live in Suncaost Estates.... not much different than the area the OP posted. If you’d want to live in a crime ridden ghetto, more power to you. I’d rather not. Elite? Yes, I must be one of the elite because I refuse to live in the ghetto.
I don't and have never lived in suncoast estates, that's what you made up in your head. I once mentioned that it is not that bad and you imagined the rest. And if you call that the ghetto then you have never even driven thru a real one or know what it is.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
You live in Dunbar, I don't know how you can look down on others, and you shouldn't no matter where you live.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Yes we plan to vacation for a Winter in certain areas prior to us making a decision to purchase anything. Looking into Sarasota area also. I only mentioned Poinsetta park in Fort Meyers because it is a locked gated community and offers quite a bit of amenities. I'm not sure if I would be walking around outside the gated park or anything but then don't want an area where there are drive by shootings going on or anything.

My sister has a home in Cape Coral and also one in St. Petersburg so we plan to check out both areas.

Thanks to all that responded.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Sorry that, like many folks who post here, you have to deal with garbage posts, when seeking legitimate information. Sadly, unlike some other forums, this one seems to be polluted with a small minority of members that have nothing better to do but post negative garbage, since they don't have a real life.

Your plan is solid, and you will find what you are looking for. I've met owners while working on a volunteer crew, building wheelchair ramps for veterans in resident owned parks in the Sebring area, and now having friends in my snowbird area, north of Tampa, who live in resident owned parks. In all cases I've seen, the residents were happy and very loyal to their communities. I would strongly suggest that you narrow your choice down to the one park that you think will make you happy, then find a full winter season rental in the park. Nothing beats being able to spend 4-6 months at a place you are looking to invest in, to get the real feel of the place, and gain a ton of knowledge that you would never learn otherwise.

Good luck and enjoy your upcoming winter!
Never said their plan wasn’t solid. But they do need to research the area they are posting about.

30-60k is not a lot of money even when you’re talking about mobile homes. If that the budget the op has then they will probably end up in one the lower end communities in the area and it won’t have all the amenities they are looking for.

Due diligence is paramount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area