U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,317,640 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.......I wanted to move back to Jacksonville but since i left in 1995 it's gotten very expensive (maybe do to the NFL there now ??) so i'm looking around other coastal cities/parts and Ft.Myers apartments seem very reasonable as i've read about them on the Ft.Myers Newspaper Classifieds and on The Apartment Guide so am i correct or am i looking at the wrong places??

Nothing fancy or too expensive as i'm single and just need a place to crash out as i hangout on the beaches. Pensacola doesn't look too bad either but i really like the heat and sun and beaches etc...as the caribbean islands were my favorate place in the world when i was on a Destroyer in the Navy stationed in Jax so i either prefer the Homeport of Jax or tropical South Florida.

Anythoughts??

Thanks !! 6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 5 hours ago)

5,411 posts, read 6,439,058 times
Default Do you work for a living?

If you do, be aware that this area is one of(if not THE) highest areas for unemployment right now. Running about 6.5%. Above the national average. Foreclosures are at record highs, and vacant houses, duplexes, and apartments are everywhere. That's why they seem to be priced so reasonably. If you come here, I would try to line up my employment first.
OTOH, You mentioned Pensacola, I dont know how the apartment market there compares to here, but from what I have read lately, the panhandle has the lowest unemployment rates in Florida, actually below the national average.
One last thing, do some research regarding water quality on the beaches around here. Again, I dont know about Pensacola area, but if youre an avid beach goer, you may want to do a comparison between the two, at least.
Best of luck.....

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,739,657 times
And also watch out WHERE these cheap apartments are located in Fort Myers... ANYTHING north of Cleveland AVE, and some south of it, is NOT very nice. Some of North Fort Myers is ok, but not all. Anything near Martin Luther King Blvd, Palm Beach Blvd. VERY NOT NICE... HOOD, GHETTO...ETC. Bad=Dunbar area, MLK area, Harlem Heights, and a few others.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
If you do, be aware that this area is one of(if not THE) highest areas for unemployment right now. Running about 6.5%. Above the national average. Foreclosures are at record highs, and vacant houses, duplexes, and apartments are everywhere. That's why they seem to be priced so reasonably. If you come here, I would try to line up my employment first.
OTOH, You mentioned Pensacola, I dont know how the apartment market there compares to here, but from what I have read lately, the panhandle has the lowest unemployment rates in Florida, actually below the national average.
One last thing, do some research regarding water quality on the beaches around here. Again, I dont know about Pensacola area, but if youre an avid beach goer, you may want to do a comparison between the two, at least.
Best of luck.....
Thanks for the concern about unemployment but that's not a concern for me as i'm taking a year off from working although i'm not rich but i do have money and also need a break after freezing up here in the Colorado Rocky Mountains for the last 13 years.

6/3

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
And also watch out WHERE these cheap apartments are located in Fort Myers... ANYTHING north of Cleveland AVE, and some south of it, is NOT very nice. Some of North Fort Myers is ok, but not all. Anything near Martin Luther King Blvd, Palm Beach Blvd. VERY NOT NICE... HOOD, GHETTO...ETC. Bad=Dunbar area, MLK area, Harlem Heights, and a few others.
Thanks for all the pointers as to where to live and not to live as i appreciate it.

Jax or Ft.Myers hmm ?????
6/3

Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Thanks for all the pointers as to where to live and not to live as i appreciate it.

Jax or Ft.Myers hmm ?????
6/3
Jax is a HUGE city, don't know a lot about it. Maybe if you came here to The Fort Myers area, you would find Cape Coral a lot less shady than F.M. Cheap to live in too, Southeast Cape, and Southwest Cape are best. Then there are Estero, and San Calos park.

Cape Coral/F.M. classifieds

Hot-Ads SW Florida, FL

Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Jax is a HUGE city, don't know a lot about it. Maybe if you came here to The Fort Myers area, you would find Cape Coral a lot less shady than F.M. Cheap to live in too, Southeast Cape, and Southwest Cape are best. Then there are Estero, and San Calos park.

Cape Coral/F.M. classifieds

Hot-Ads SW Florida, FL
Great info BacktoFLigo !! Thanks again for the posting as i appreciate it as i'll start checking out the different sites about Cape Coral.

6/3

Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM

news-press.com | The News-Press | Southwest Florida news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Southwest Florida, Florida is the Fort Myers paper.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM

O.k. i just got done looking at the Cape Coral and Pine Island Chamber of Commerce sites so my question is the closest beaches are either Ft.Myers beach or Sanibel Island beaches am i correct?? So if i lived in Cape Coral in a general sense what is the approximate distance and/or drive time to the beaches. Is there an expressway or maybe there's lots of stop and go red lights as i'm not sure looking at Google map.

6/3

Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 AM

172 posts, read 883,951 times
Check McGregor south of College Parkway for apartments. You should be able to find some good deals and you won't have to deal with as much traffic when you're going to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area