Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 AM

43 posts, read 155,405 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are relocating for work to Cape Coral after living in the Charlotte, NC metro for the past 9 years.

One of my biggest concerns right now is our 15yo's school transfer process. Thankfully, he'll have completed the semester here but he's in two year-long AP classes, so we would like for him to be able to get into a high school where he can continue & complete the classes/requirements. He's also a theater kid, so we want him to go to a school with a strong theater program in addition to the strong academics.

Looking at the Lee County Schools website is a bit... daunting. Since we're moving mid-year, we can't really go through the normal application & audition process. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I haven't dealt with "school choice" before, or an out of state transfer in the middle of a school year during any of our previous relocations.

Opinions on the area's high schools and the general culture therein also welcome.

Edited to add: feel free to also recommend veterinarian offices, we have four furkids moving down with us and two of them are seniors. Thanks!

Last edited by micapu; 11-05-2019 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: adding questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 6,428 times
I am not familiar with CC. I can recommend a good private school in Ft Myers. It may be easier to transition in the middle of the school year without losing AP classes. Private schools are more accommodating since you are paying

Old 11-05-2019, 03:31 PM

Sorry my message got cut off.

Lee co public schools are not friendly to families moving in to the area.

Also, I was thinking, is there a way for your 15yo to stay with family or friends and finish this academic year? It would be less rough for him.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
starting school mid year is tough. I have done it multiple times with my kids. Not sure of your financial situation but private school bishop verot would be my choice.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:22 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yana_s View Post
Sorry my message got cut off.

Lee co public schools are not friendly to families moving in to the area.

Also, I was thinking, is there a way for your 15yo to stay with family or friends and finish this academic year? It would be less rough for him.
Curious... how are they not friendly??

Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Sorry I probably should have said not very accommodating. English is my second language.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:29 AM

43 posts, read 155,405 times
Thank you to everyone that has replied...

Private school isn't an option, neither is leaving our son in NC. I've contacted the school district for guidance, and one of my husband's co-workers has also offered to help. I guess we'll see...

Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2019, 12:27 PM

390 posts, read 397,385 times
Does relocating for work involve a huge pay increase or do you absolutely hate where you currently live? If not, I would reconsider the move.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
Does relocating for work involve a huge pay increase or do you absolutely hate where you currently live? If not, I would reconsider the move.

We made the opposite move from Naples, Fl to Charlotte. Lee County is based on a raffle system for schools. Some are rough (think Arrowood). I would argue Fort Myers/Cape Coral is less desirable than Naples but that can just be preference. Just because you put in for a school close to your home does not mean your child will go there. There is a possibility they will be bused across town. I second FlKitties concern with pay. Charlotte (Kannapolis) is MUCH cheaper compared to SWFL. We were making 6 figures living in North Naples and still had to rent, not by choice but necessity. Housing is much higher with half the space than what youre gonna get in Charlotte and definitely Kannapolis where you are. Just to put that out there. We took a HUGE paycut initially to come to Charlotte and STILL ended up with a place 3 xs the size of what we had in Naples and rent that was nearly $500 cheaper. Crime has spread to our area in the last year so we'll be shelling out more to move somewhere else in Charlotte (if not out of the state completely next year but still) Be prepared to shell out a $$$. Groceries are about double what they are here too. We cut our bill down by half when we moved here. Gas is much more expensive, electric was $100+ more a month but we had a tiny sized condo (now we have a 2 story nearly 2,000 sqft townhome). A/C during the brutal summer months there (March-Nov) was usually $170-$200 a month

Also, it is a retirement community. You'll see it as one of the best places to retire... its aimed at retirees. We left to give our daughter more opportunity with colleges, entertainment, eventual chance to own a house, education, culture etc etc. She esentially had two choices for college there. A community college or FGCU.. If they didn't have what she wanted (culinary school) she was leaving anyways cause again its all aimed at retirees not families. I have a strong feeling you are going to be bored to tears there. Its just stretches of cookie cutter homes and strip malls. Charlotte has been ok but we needed to move here for career.

Be aware SWFL is 2+ hours from any major city (Tampa or Miami). It is essentially its own self contained town on the west coast. It can feel secluded sometimes. I'd also realize the weather there is complete opposite of what you're used to. Triple digit heat indexs can last months and months and months. 8-9 months a year. It was 117 heat index the day we moved to Charlotte. Neurotoxin pesticide is still sprayed from the sky there and lands all over cars, in pools, grass, door handles etc. My dog had seizures on the regular living in SWFL from NALED. Its one of the only places in the WORLD that sprays it because its been banned in nearly all other countries. I'm sure that and Lake O dumping have a lot to do with the constant red tide, toxic waters and some of the highest pediatric cancer rates in the state. Moral of the story do A LOT of research.. you won't be drinking margaritas on the beach on a Tues like a lot of people think they're going to be.. Its Charlotte traffic compacted into 1/2 the size of the city.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-19-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area