U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 AM

14,267 posts, read 16,463,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I would move to the upstate of South Carolina. Season change with very little snow. Can get to the beach (east)or ski (west). Cost far less then Florida in the long run.
Upstate SC (Greenville, Simpsonville) is where I've been looking at homes for over a year. My 2 main concerns are (1) SC has a high unemployment rate and (2) there is a lot of violent crime according to the FBI statistics. I also want to make sure that, as a Yankee, I'll be accepted and won't need to constantly defend my beliefs, although I usually keep to myself.

Regarding the cost of living, I guess it depends on your income & lifestyle, but paying a 7% state is an awful shock if you're used to paying no state income tax at all. I moved to FL from NH and haven't paid a state income tax in 20 years. I mean, let's say a couple earns $50,000 a year, that's $3,500. Then there's the cost of home heating fuel in the winter, winter clothing, etc. Other than that, the cost of housing is relatively inexpensive and the property tax appears to be low. I understand there is also an annual automobile tax and I only paid $36 to renew my registration this year, so this would be an additional expense.

I still think the area looks beautiful and I miss the change of seasons so maybe I'll head up there, but I don't think anyone can really judge an area without living in it for a while.

I've read that Austin TX is a great place to live, but I like a lot of trees and the property tax rate in many areas of Texas is higher than it is in FL, although there's no state income tax. I thought of Oregon, but it's way out of my price range if my goal is to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 AM

11,456 posts, read 13,043,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
When I can get out of here, hopefully next spring, it'll be the southwest for me. Plan to explore Arizona and New Mexico in an RV while I shop for just the right quiet place to settle into for the long walk into twilight......It's gotten to noisy around these parts.

Check out Flagstaff if you get a chance. Also when you hit the Grand Canyon, assuming you hit the North Rim (my personal favorite, more green), ask the park rangers about the "East Rim". Maybe an hour of gravel roads through the national forest, but you'll end up having the whole place to yourself when you get there. Few people know about it, or ever get out there, man is it worth it!

Don't be shy about S Utah either. There are some amazing national parks down there. Bryce Canyon, Zion (unfriggin believable), Escalante, and so on...

Maybe check out Carlsbad Caverns in NW if you are able!!!

Keep us posted.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 AM

11,456 posts, read 13,043,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I would move to the upstate of South Carolina. Season change with very little snow. Can get to the beach (east)or ski (west). Cost far less then Florida in the long run.
How long to the ski resorts? How is the skiing?

I've often thought about NC/SC, but the west is where my heart is, not sure if I could stay out east long term.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 AM

321 posts, read 935,954 times
If I left FL it would be for the PacNW... Seattle or Portland. But I don't think I'll be leaving FL any time soon. Maybe move to another location w/in FL some day (5 years?), but I would miss the weather, the beach... if I actually left FL.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,596,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've read that Austin TX is a great place to live, but I like a lot of trees and the property tax rate in many areas of Texas is higher than it is in FL, although there's no state income tax.
We were stationed in Fort Hood, TX for about 5 years; about 40 miles north of Austin. Went there quite often.

You can't compare Austin to SWFL except for the heat & humidity. There is so much to do there and every different age group. The music scene is huge.

Traffic in Austin is a nightmare due to its incredible growth the past several years. U of TX, which is the 2nd largest univ in the country, is located smack dab in the middle which adds to the congestion.

You'd be surprised by the amount of trees in Austin. It is actually fairly hilly in parts & has a very large & popular lake called Lake Travis. Lance Armstrong lives there & there are several biking clubs due to the terrain. Mind you, everything N & S of Austin is flat with no trees

What you get for your money in Austin & its suburbs far exceeds SWFL but prop taxes are higher. Everything else is the same in terms of COL. Our car insurance was $105/mn cheaper in TX than SWFL. It does get quite chilly there in Jan/Feb/Mar but the rest of the year is hot & humid.

Austin is very "Texas" & southern. If our family was there & it had more of a fall, we'd have stayed there.

It's just so difft than CC/FM.

If you ever get a chance, it's worth a visit.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 AM

5,523 posts, read 9,081,030 times
Smile Where would you go?

OK, my husband is a native Floridian born & raised in Miami. I came to this area from the Chicago suburbs. We live in Boca Raton and love our neighborhood. What I would love to do is buy 3 homes - one in Cary, NC, one in Greenville, SC and one in Central Florida or Gulf Coast, FL as "second homes", rent them out, visit them once a year and in 10-15 years, we'll know the area and know where we will end up. But again, this is a lofty goal and a true pipedream at this point. During this time, we could also make plans to expand our current business, be licensed if out of state and so forth. We are probably looking at working part time at least way into our 80's so we'll be doing this for a while. This website has been great for ideas.

But, those are my dreams. So far, they haven't been close to coming true but we all can dream, right?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM

778 posts, read 1,497,637 times
I'll second Austin, Flagstaff, and Cary, NC as wonderful places with a lot to offer.. Salt Lake City sure is a sleeper midsized city. Also can't beat the front range in Denver especiallly heading towards Boulder.. The Woodlands about 30 miles north of Houston is one of the nicest planned heavily treed communities in the country..

Now if western Mass had much shorter winters and (or) a great deal more sunshine perhaps it would make the cut too...lol

Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
man BACK I'm sorry you're not happy!! I woke up this morning to ice covering everything! We've been grey and very very dreary for about 4 days now, and its been raining nonstop the past 3.. Its still going as I write.. Infact I lost power last night for a good 5 hours or so and it was FREEZING in my house we were bundled up, even the dog had a sweater on.
I had to scrape the hell outta my windows and actually heat my key to get it in the car this morning! I'm moving back in 3 days and I can't wait! I hope you find some place that'll make you happy.... I suspect though if you didn't like the winter last year, this year will be no different. The economy is bad down there but it'll pick up.. I'm sure you miss family right?

You picked such an extreme change from Florida, that's why you dislike it so much. During that time it was in the 70s here in NY. We haven't had snow since mid March or so.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,751,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How's your daughter holding up with the transition?

Everything is in bloom here; absolutely gorgeous. This time of year always makes winter well worth it. Beautiful sunny day though a little on the chilly side. Still got out for most of the day & don't have to worry about fire ants.

My inlaws were here a few weeks ago & said Hadley is still looking brown though that area of the country always is one of the last to bloom in spring.

Can't see how CC has the same vibe as Northampton & Amherst. We love eating at the Hotel Northampton & then walking around the area. There is no place in SWFL that compares to this particular part of MA. Though my dh is from Amherst, I make him go to the Emily Dickinson house every time we are there. So cool.

Florida's version of "winter" is going to be kicking in a few weeks as the heat & humidity kick in for the next 6 months, so best of luck. Hope you've found ample employment. Economy is in shambles everywhere so probably better to just buck it up for awhile & figure out how to make it work. The area you moved from is still so uber expensive in terms of COL, especially the tax base. If we had the money, that's where we'd be, but can't be house poor with kids, ya know? Guess that is one pro of CC; not as expensive as western Mass.

There's no place like home for many, so I hope things start to get better for you in the CC. Just think through your decisions a little better next time
I agree, I should have just stayed right where I was. I had a good job at Yankee Candle, a nice apartment in the countryside. My daughter liked her school a LOT more up there. She has told me she really likes it better up there, and she really does not like her school here at all, yep I have heard that one a few times over...

I have never lived anywhere that can compare to the Northampton area.

For the record. I was paying just as much there in Western Mass. for my living expenses as here in CC. And I had more money in my pocket.

Things have not been good since I got back here, I find myself getting more and more depressed/discouraged each day. SO... we are yet again planning our return to Mass., this time without my mother in law, one reason we are back here is because of her arthritis. She is moving to NJ.

So this is my update.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,992,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You picked such an extreme change from Florida, that's why you dislike it so much. During that time it was in the 70s here in NY. We haven't had snow since mid March or so.
perhaps but I just don't like the NE in general, I lived in NY, not a fan... The waters are just too chilly up there year round, you spend half the year in winter, the other couple months cramming everything in that you couldn't do in the winter and the rest preparing for winter. Down here I know what the weather is going to be year round and there are no surprises. I went out on my boat this sunday,, couldn't do that in NH and still wouldn't be able to till July or August when the waters got halfway warmer, the water is probably still to cold to go to the beach up in NY and NJ... Instead I rode my bike to the beach every day I've been here.... Yuck I just get depressed thinking abotu that dreary NE weather..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area