U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,751,042 times

Advertisements

I agree with Tara on the beach water, it's freezing up there, 55 degrees in NH at Hampton Beach in AUGUST. I do love the scenery in Maine/NH though at the rocky beaches. The West coast of FL beaches are not too attractive, brown water... The East coast are better IE, Melbourne, Vero Beach, etc.

As far as the weather here, you do the same thing here as up in NE, you live inside 6 months out of the year for fear of turning into a puddle. Up there an ice cube. So no matter where you are there is good and bad. Today is nice here 88 but feels like 85, NO humidity, BUT we will pay for it this weekend, 93 with mega humidity.

I am unhappy here so I really need to end this post, I am trying SO hard not to be negative. I am trying to pull out as many positives as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,596,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I agree with Tara on the beach water, it's freezing up there, 55 degrees in NH at Hampton Beach in AUGUST. I do love the scenery in Maine/NH though at the rocky beaches. The West coast of FL beaches are not too attractive, brown water... The East coast are better IE, Melbourne, Vero Beach, etc.

As far as the weather here, you do the same thing here as up in NE, you live inside 6 months out of the year for fear of turning into a puddle. Up there an ice cube. So no matter where you are there is good and bad. Today is nice here 88 but feels like 85, NO humidity, BUT we will pay for it this weekend, 93 with mega humidity.

I am unhappy here so I really need to end this post, I am trying SO hard not to be negative. I am trying to pull out as many positives as I can.
The pissing match some seem desperate to keep going b/w the NE & SWFL gets old, doesn't it? I see "Teacher, teacher, call on me! Call on me!" syndrome running rampant.

They are not the same. Plain & simple.

Take 6 months of crappy winters in the NE or 6 months of crappy summers in SWFL. It's your pick

There is also the distinction b/w those who are retiring; those who have families; and those who have no commitment to anyone but themselves & maybe a sig other. Priorities are different in each category.

People don't move to NE to go to the beach

BacktoFL...I was hating life last year at this time, but we did manage to find some good in a few of the activities that could be done as a family. We had to b/c we didn't know when a job offer up here would be made. For all we knew, we were there indefinitely. It was tough to deal with, but we made our choices & had to live with the consequences (though we were heavily warned by almost every person we asked). Go to Sanibel really early when theb tide is still out...that'll give some clarity for it's quite peaceful.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The pissing match some seem desperate to keep going b/w the NE & SWFL gets old, doesn't it? I see "Teacher, teacher, call on me! Call on me!" syndrome running rampant.

They are not the same. Plain & simple.

Take 6 months of crappy winters in the NE or 6 months of crappy summers in SWFL. It's your pick

There is also the distinction b/w those who are retiring; those who have families; and those who have no commitment to anyone but themselves & maybe a sig other. Priorities are different in each category.

People don't move to NE to go to the beach

BacktoFL...I was hating life last year at this time, but we did manage to find some good in a few of the activities that could be done as a family. We had to b/c we didn't know when a job offer up here would be made. For all we knew, we were there indefinitely. It was tough to deal with, but we made our choices & had to live with the consequences (though we were heavily warned by almost every person we asked). Go to Sanibel really early when theb tide is still out...that'll give some clarity for it's quite peaceful.
Are you up north?

We are hanging in there until just before school starts, and hopefully, we are getting my little one right back into her school up north where she was happiest. Plans are in the making, which gives me a bit of hope, positivity, and something to look forward to.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
perhaps but I just don't like the NE in general, I lived in NY, not a fan... The waters are just too chilly up there year round, you spend half the year in winter, the other couple months cramming everything in that you couldn't do in the winter and the rest preparing for winter. Down here I know what the weather is going to be year round and there are no surprises. I went out on my boat this sunday,, couldn't do that in NH and still wouldn't be able to till July or August when the waters got halfway warmer, the water is probably still to cold to go to the beach up in NY and NJ... Instead I rode my bike to the beach every day I've been here.... Yuck I just get depressed thinking abotu that dreary NE weather..
Who cares about the water temps. Not everyone loves the beach here. here on LI the water temps are fine once early July comes and into mid September.

You can go out on your boat now here. It reached 84 when I was going out west on April 18, basically been around 70 everyday since then. You want bad weather???? Go out to the PNW. Now that's depressing. Not only chilly year round, but there's never any sun. So don't complain about no sun until you've been out there.

You can ride your bike in NY any time of the year. During Nov-Feb it will be cold, but who says you can't? The rest of the time it's pleasant because it isn't too cold or too hot.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't remember it being cloudy and cold, dreary, EVERY DAY in NE... Actually I remember MANY beautiful days, even when it was cold. And awesome weather up until November last year.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,596,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I don't remember it being cloudy and cold, dreary, EVERY DAY in NE... Actually I remember MANY beautiful days, even when it was cold. And awesome weather up until November last year.
Ah, no it is. And there is no electricity nor running water yet. Mail is still delivered via horseback.

Honestly, does one move to the NE states to go to the beach or get a tan?

And with gas prices being $5/gl by next year at this time, everyone is going to be riding their bikes everywhere no matter what the temp, rain or shine.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Ah, no it is. And there is no electricity nor running water yet. Mail is still delivered via horseback.

Honestly, does one move to the NE states to go to the beach or get a tan?

And with gas prices being $5/gl by next year at this time, everyone is going to be riding their bikes everywhere no matter what the temp, rain or shine.
AMEN!!!! I will need a new horse and buggy when I get back up there.

I went to the beach up there as a kid, don't remember dying from cold water. At least I can ride my bike there without chancing my life with these drivers here. I am buying new bikes when we get up there, woo hoo!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 AM

83 posts, read 285,335 times
We moved to East TN 6 months ago for all the BS that goes on in SWFl. We are not too to happy in TN. The cost of living is FAR less but people are a bit rude here. One thing I di miss about FL and Im no boze hound, was our festivals and all that allowed beer tents. We live in a dry county! No liquor, no bars an dthe resturants only sell beer. But there are on any given day HUNDREDS of FL plates in the walmart parking lot! People are coming here by the droves! The economy here is slow but work isnt too bad. My hubby had to wait 6 months for an electrical job but he finally got one. Not half as good pay as he was getting in FL but then again he got laid off so an illegal imigrant took his position for less pay! I hear trades are only getting maybe 8.00 an hour there and here at least there up to 16-17! The winter was cold compared to Fl but pretty mild. No real snow. Maybe 2-3 times and it melted in a few hours. But I think we would move to N.FL or Georgia. I really like the idea of the Carolinas but I hear they are very expensive.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,992,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Who cares about the water temps. Not everyone loves the beach here. here on LI the water temps are fine once early July comes and into mid September.

You can go out on your boat now here. It reached 84 when I was going out west on April 18, basically been around 70 everyday since then. You want bad weather???? Go out to the PNW. Now that's depressing. Not only chilly year round, but there's never any sun. So don't complain about no sun until you've been out there.

You can ride your bike in NY any time of the year. During Nov-Feb it will be cold, but who says you can't? The rest of the time it's pleasant because it isn't too cold or too hot.
If you like the beach you care about the water temps. 3 weeks ago I was wearing heavy sweaters and boots still. It was STILL snowing up until I left STILL being stuck inside, because it had been raining/snowing 4 days straight before we left, I was on a boat at the beach 6 days later.. in the water... HERE in Fla (not LI cause this is a Fl board) we care about water temps because a lot of people live here for the beach/water.. I know I care and a lot of my friends do! It was very depressing in NE.. we had MANY MANY days straight of NO SUN at all... It might be different on LI cause its not in the mountains, but places in the mountains remain colder longer, and the clouds linger , very low to the ground.. Sometimes we'd go up a hill/small mountain and we'd drive through low hanging clouds. So YES you can have very long boughts of no sun.. and that will make it chilly for a long time..

Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM

601 posts, read 1,771,385 times
We close on the sale of our house on 06/26 and will be heading for the great Pacific North west. Can't wait!!!!!!! Real dirt to grow your garden, little humidity, mountains, wonderful seafood, and a more liberal mind set. Peace, love and heavy on the tranquility!!!!! I hate Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area