U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,029,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It would be wonderful if things in Cuba could change, VPCats. That is such a beautiful country.
Thanks hiknapster. I was born there but, honestly, have never been there since we left in 1961. I do know that I did go to Varadero while I lived there. Have pics. But really, its popularity and beauty is from word of mouth for me.

I do hope to be able to go again some day and get to know the island a bit better. Despite all the destruction and lack of progress over the past 50 years, every one does say it is a beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,029,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I have to second this.
Although we were not in the "resort" area, we did have the opportunity to live there for 21 months.My husband worked on the 2 different resorts there. Can't remember the name of 1 (need more coffee), but he had to take a boat every morning to get to the private island where the resort was located.
As anywhere, it is a bit different if you are not on vacation.
Beaches were amazing. The beach we were staying at was deserted. Every day my son and I would be the only ones there. Gorgeous waters and very peaceful.
We did snorkel daily. Picking lobsters out of the waters for dinner just about nightly.
My main complaint or dislike of the island was availability of food and supplies.
For groceries, there was one small store which got delivery by boat on Thursdays. If you did not shop on Thursday, you did not get red meat or meat for that matter or fresh milk. Which is why we ate lobster every day.
At the time, my son was still on the baby bottle. I needed new nipples for the bottle and had to have them shipped from the U.S. because there was none on the island. Needless to say, he got broke from the bottle and potty trained real quick !

Great experience !

Wow Qbaby. You were there a long time! I think the resort we were at was the Jimmy Buffet one? Carnival's private island or something. It was nice actually and very "party" atmosphere.

I can relate to the potty training and bottled milk story. I was in Peru when my son was born and up till he was 2 yrs old. At one point I had made a trip to the US and sent a container of pampers via ship to Peru. I used to cherish those pampers and they would get used only on special occassions. He was potty trained by the time he was 1 yr. old.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 280,959 times
WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GO TO OKLAHOMA....PLEASE DON'T COME HERE!...If you don't believe in hitting yer spouse, dropping outta school to get pregnant at 16, brushin' yer teeth daily, and using common sense, then you won't like it here!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 101,285 times
Where in New England?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM

147 posts, read 511,962 times
For me, i believe it is "California Here I Come"...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,383,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNLUV2TRVL View Post
Where in New England?
I feel like De Niro. "Are you talking to me?"

I'm from Mass. If you are taking to "BacktoFlIgo" it is the same answer.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I feel like De Niro. "Are you talking to me?"

I'm from Mass. If you are taking to "BacktoFlIgo" it is the same answer.
Yeseree massachusetts here I come!!!! Western Massachusetts. Hills, mountains, and MAPLE trees, great food, fresh air. Hiking, camping, Skiing... I almost forgot... JOBS!!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 AM

15 posts, read 11,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Yeseree massachusetts here I come!!!! Western Massachusetts. Hills, mountains, and MAPLE trees, great food, fresh air. Hiking, camping, Skiing... I almost forgot... JOBS!!!!

Even more snow for 7 months a year, Ice, heating bills, bulky winter clothes, slush, no power when its -20 out, ugh!!! Have you forgotten all of that. I know its easy to do when you move back to Fla. I've forgoten how bad the weather is and I just came back to Fla 3 weeks ago. It snowed the day I left and all I remember is being miserable that day and wet and freezing... Yuck.. There weren't any jobs up there when I left in Mass or NH.. The paper had 4 jobs for the town. I would check every day.. Do you have a job lined up or are you winging it?

Think about what you were saying a couple months ago
Quote:
Moved out of Fl. went to homestate of MA. hated winter after I really thought I missed it, came back to FL. 7 months later, I would rather deal with the heat
Quote:
Every week 2 storms hit, it was in the negative digits with wind chills of -15 to -20 at times. I hated that. If I could live in a place where it was 78 degrees every day, and 60 at night point me in the direction!
I'm not trying to critize but you're sounding now very similar to how you did then. That might be a bad thing. The economy might be bad down here but that will change and get better, the weather however will not change up north. It will still be as crappy and nasty as when you left.

I really think you moved to the wrong place, Cape Coral while nice is still sparsley populated. Estero, Bonita and Naples are much better, plus they're not expensive like they used to be. My husband and I tomorrow are looking at a condo in the gated community we used to live in its 3 bed with two masterbedrooms and two baths for $140,000. The best thing, is unlike NE the place isn't 100 years old and its fully upgraded so I don't have to worry about all of that. Even better, I'll never have to heat it. The taxes are around a grand a year. That same condo in NE (we looked at a similar one however it didn't come with A/C) had taxes that were $3,800 a year.

Either way good luck, but remember how miserable you were up in NE and when that winter hit you were desperate to get out. Nothing is going to change when you go back up

Last edited by Plmtrz_plz; 06-01-2008 at 04:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plmtrz_plz View Post
Even more snow for 7 months a year, Ice, heating bills, bulky winter clothes, slush, no power when its -20 out, ugh!!! Have you forgotten all of that. I know its easy to do when you move back to Fla. I've forgoten how bad the weather is and I just came back to Fla 3 weeks ago. It snowed the day I left and all I remember is being miserable that day and wet and freezing... Yuck.. There weren't any jobs up there when I left in Mass or NH.. The paper had 4 jobs for the town. I would check every day.. Do you have a job lined up or are you winging it?

I'm not trying to critize but you're sounding now very similar to how you did then. That might be a bad thing. The economy might be bad down here but that will change and get better, the weather however will not change up north. It will still be as crappy and nasty as when you left.

I really think you moved to the wrong place, Cape Coral while nice is still sparsley populated. Estero, Bonita and Naples are much better, plus they're not expensive like they used to be. My husband and I tomorrow are looking at a condo in the gated community we used to live in its 3 bed with two masterbedrooms and two baths for $140,000. The best thing, is unlike NE the place isn't 100 years old and its fully upgraded so I don't have to worry about all of that. Even better, I'll never have to heat it. The taxes are around a grand a year. That same condo in NE (we looked at a similar one however it didn't come with A/C) had taxes that were $3,800 a year.

Either way good luck, but remember how miserable you were up in NE and when that winter hit you were desperate to get out. Nothing is going to change when you go back up
For the record I was not miserable. I was not used to cold...

I lived in Naples once, and it is for sure the LAST place I want to live I FL, well I can name a few places I will not live in, Orlando, Miami, Jax, Tampa, places where there are jobs, but no way am I living there. No offense, but I REALLY dislike Naples a lot. Estero is in the middle of nothing, and Fort Myers, unless you live in South Fort myers and want to pay dearly for rent, it is full of bad areas and crime ridden now. Bonita, not cheap for rent, and I won't comment on what it looks like in the areas that are affordable. Cape Coral is not sparsely populated... How do you get that? I also like sparsely populated areas, I like small towns not crowded cities loaded with crime and traffic.

I'll also tell you that where I lived in Mass. makes the difference in how I felt about the cold. I lived in a town of 300 people, at the foot of the Berkshires, although Beautiful, it is about 10 degrees colder than other surrounding towns(Northampton). Instead of leaving the good job I had there to come back to this god forsaken state, I should have moved off the mountain to the valley area where they also get 6+ inches less snow than where I was.

3 1/2 months later, I have applied to positions all over, a few callbacks, and that's it. It's hard to compete for one job when there are 100 people applying for it. I am in apartment management, I do the maintenance part, HVAC, electrical, etc. There are NO positions in that in the paper, careerbuilder, monster... When there is one that pops up(maybe on every 2 months), they have a flood of resumes... I am even applying to Walmart, and what have you, but guess what? They are having hiring freezes. Great economy.

There are jobs up there where I am going, I look all the time in my town newspaper, and a few surrounding towns I'm not winging it. Last time I want there I had a job in 2 weeks... Unlike Fl. where I am just making it by with a job my stepfather gave me at his restaurant so I would have some sort of money. I was also a machine operator up north, and there are a lot of jobs in that up there. Here NO. What town were you in that had 4 jobs?

I was cold up there, but I now realize I was settled there, with a good job, HEALTH INSURANCE, my daughter was in a good school... Another reason for the move was my mother in law has arthritis, so that was another factor in the move. She has since moved to NJ. If she left for NJ back then I would NEVER have left Mass. and came here.

I forgot the cold there, but I am every day reminded about the rediculous heat here... What's worse??? COLD or sweltering heat??? If I could live where it's 78 degrees all year I would, but I don't like California... Yes I know what I said in the past, but I have never been more discouraged in my life than now. Nearly 4 months and nothing is better... I know I never should have left there.

There are positives here and there, negatives here and there, but I find myself there, not here...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Some of us figured out who this is... PLMTRZ_PLZ... You moved to the wrong place up in NH yourelf... Keene????? Of course there isn't a lot there... It's a HUGE difference from where I am headed back to in Mass. There are jobs... And NICE housing... Not everything is 100 years old.

What I forgot was how incredibly hot and humid this state is, someone should have slapped me when I began thinking about coming back here!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plmtrz_plz View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area