U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,065 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh I've been in this area for 22 yrs and I can tell you don't move to Fort Myers. It truly is more populated and has more crime. Sarasota is more of an art involved area and I personally feel if I had to move from NJ to Fla. again ... I'd pick Sarasota or before Fort Myers. I originally moved to Bradenton then moved to the Murdock area of Port Charlotte, which is right on the border of North Port and it's quite quiet and enjoyable. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 AM

10 posts, read 36,289 times
Default Think long and hard about relocating to Florida

Have lived in Fort Myers, FL for 7 years. Have traveled for my job up and down the I-75 corridor from Sarasota to Marco Island for 7 years. I would do anything to get out of here. Its one big shopping plaza. If you like shopping, in Fort Myers there are 3 mega malls withing 5 miles of each other. There is no work here. Period. The only work that was here was tourism and construction. All construction is dead. My husband is in construction and looking at other cities. Most of my clients are women and their husbands have already left for other cities to work. There are no factories or industries here. Just retail. The tourism is down to europeans on vacation. The traffic is a nightmare. Be very careful before you decide, like I did, to move to a city in florida on the coast. It is what it is, mostly for retirees, who by the way take all the retail jobs, and work part time at the age of 85 at anywhere you go shopping or eat. The crime is terrible. We were offered free rent for a brand new house in Lehigh acres, and turned it down, because unless you have a huge dog and gun, there is a 99% chance you are going to get broken into, or you will be living next door to a "grow house". Sarasota is also a big resort area, quite similar to Naples. The pay is terrible and I have had 9 jobs in 7 years. You will get layed off as soon as they are thru "using" you. Because there is always a round of northeners constantly relocating here and they will take the first job and work for nothing. I saw the beach and had better vacations when I lived in Ohio. At least I could save the money to go on vacations. The people that live here full time, rarely go to the beach. You can't get there during season because of the traffic, and then in the summer, it storms everyday or there is red tide alerts the last few years. Again, think long and hard about moving anywhere in florida. Your best bet would be to get a condo here which right now are at unheard of prices...very very cheap! My favorite location is Estero, which is in between fort myers and naples. Nice area (except for the coyotes snatching peoples little dogs)Get a cheap condo and try to keep it as a retirement place. Or do what some people do. They are called "sixers". They work six months north and work 6 months down here. Alot of them buy a cheap trailer to stay in during the winter months and have minimum furnishing, so as not to worry if there is a hurricane, they aren't losing too much. At any rate, I am in Fort Myers, desperately looking for another city up north where my husband can find work. Now airfares and gas are so much, we will rarely get to see our children in Ohio, without breaking the bank account. It's lonely down here without the kids.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 30,875 times
I am movin to fort myers from ohio to teach. Is rent price pretty good. Is there any advice anyone can give me.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM

128 posts, read 594,907 times
Hi Julie, Unfortunatly Backto got caught up in the bad times that hit SWFL and I hope he finds some kind of good when he returns to New England. I have been here for over thirty years and I am fortunate that the job I have is still going pretty well. It was in the paper today or on the news today Fort Myers/Cape Coral came in forth in the nation in foreclosers and that is not good news. I must say things are not the same you better come with some extra money in your pocket just to get you going. Otherwise it's really not a bad place to live I think a nice apt. will be about 800.+ util and FPL is jacking up they're rates I can't wait to see that bill. I guess what I'm saying is if you have some extra money with you and don't plan on living on a teachers salary right from the start I think you'll find some time to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,742,472 times
Roadrunner is right. It is a good area, well, some are not so good(Dunbar, Harlem Heights, MLK area, etc). I like Cape Coral, but I am just too far beyond making it work here now. You can and should take Roadrunners advice, you will need extra money, and I would come visit here for a bit first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
Hi Julie, Unfortunatly Backto got caught up in the bad times that hit SWFL and I hope he finds some kind of good when he returns to New England. I have been here for over thirty years and I am fortunate that the job I have is still going pretty well. It was in the paper today or on the news today Fort Myers/Cape Coral came in forth in the nation in foreclosers and that is not good news. I must say things are not the same you better come with some extra money in your pocket just to get you going. Otherwise it's really not a bad place to live I think a nice apt. will be about 800.+ util and FPL is jacking up they're rates I can't wait to see that bill. I guess what I'm saying is if you have some extra money with you and don't plan on living on a teachers salary right from the start I think you'll find some time to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 36,765 times
Sarasota,hands down

Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 AM

18 posts, read 90,984 times
Default Trying every day to be Positive

I remember having 3 visits to Sanibel and Captiva (got married there) and just thinking how lovely this place was. 7 years later, my husband and I just hate it here. We ARE optimistic sunny people, but this is the most miserable place I personally have ever lived. Wait till it takes you 3 hours to get home from work when there is an accident on I75 and you are commuting from Naples to Fort Myers like so many do here. No joke. In 7 years I can remember many, many occasions, especially during the dreaded "season" where it looks like every 98 year old with cataract glasses is out driving their Mercury Grand Marquies, and Cadillacs during rush hour and can you spell absolute GRIDLOCK! there is no infrastructure. There is only one other route US41 and if that gets shut down (happened last week again because of rollover) you are completely trapped there for hours. Come on down and lets see what you think in about 3 years about the lovely city of Ft. Myers. If you are going to the Cape, you should be aware that there is a $2 a day toll to go there everyday. And the bridges can get extremely backed up for miles during season. Don't think these people are being negative on these post, they are simply telling the truth like no one else can unless you live here every day, day in and day out. And don't ask a snowbird, because they are only here during the lovely times of the year and would never know what it is like to live here year round. In fact, the only way to enjoy it here, is to be a retired SNOWBIRD. that is why they come back year after year, but even they complain in the grocery store when they are here. Last year, I was standing in line during high "season" and they are just as bitter, complaining about the traffic, the lines, etc. You will see.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:38 AM

18 posts, read 90,984 times
Default Hands down Sarasota

Yup it looks like the Red Sox, who brought millions of dollars to ft. myers, during spring training are going to leave. That is going to be more devastation to the local economy if the Fort. They are a loyal breed of fans that follow their team and spend alot of money here. Sarasota has an infrastructure and is very culturally developed also. You also have a very short trip to Tampa if you would need a major childrens hospital or any other things a major city offers like Pro Football, Pro Baseball, museums, amusement parks, and on and on and on. You'll be okay in Sarasota. It's nice and clean too.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM

66 posts, read 195,480 times
I live in Cape Coral and love it. We have been down here a few months and moved from Ohio. From Cape Coral the commute is not bad to Fort Myers or up to Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. I commute all of the way up to Venice, which take me a little under an hour - but that is comparable to my traffic filled commute in Columbus, Ohio. This commute I get to spend listening to music and traveling the speed limit on I-75. There are not 2-3 murders per week in Fort Myers or Cape Coral, and like everywhere there are high-end, middle-class, and low-end housing. Do your homework and watch the neighborhoods. I have visited Sarsota and several towns more south and I also did a lot of research before moving here. Look at the age of the populations, school districts, and crime rates. Both Sarasota and Fort Myers have positives and negatives, and where you choose to live will be based on what works for you. We picked Cape Coral because of the low crime, good schools, fairly priced housing, activities, age of the population, and access to beaches. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and m daughter is 13. So- make your own opinion. There seems to be a decent share of negativitiy on these boards (not specific to these posts), especially from people who have seen a big boom, over-inflation of housing prices, speculation, and then a major market adjustment back to what prices should be.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM

1,505 posts, read 2,854,584 times
Not to mention looking at beautiful scenery allong the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingCapeCoral View Post
This commute I get to spend listening to music and traveling the speed limit on I-75..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area