Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 80,878 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm considering moving from suburban Chicago area to Fort Myers area(Lee or maybe Charlotte county). Does anyone know, at least approximately, how much such a move would cost? I have a typically furnished 3-bedroom place here and probably will need to take about 80-90% of all the belongings.
If you have done such a move from a N or NW suburban Chicago area, could you please advice on what company you used and ball-park costs?
I called several interstate movers but they wouldn't tell any usual ball-park figures until they do an on-site estimate, and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

In a separate question - does anyone know how much it is to move a car there?
We have 3 cars and guess that it will be cheaper to move them rather than sell and then buy new ones. I researched several car-moving companies and it looks like the average cost is about $700-800. But all of them can take your car only to Miami, where you then need to pick it up. Does anyone know of a company that's goes more local?

Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
Default This will help you some

Moved 3 years ago from Houston to Gold Coast in Chicago. Mayflower charged me about $5500. They broke a few things, and got $500 back in damages.
I moved only a 1,000 sq. ft. bungalow, and it was not overcrowded with things either. It was a one bedroom! Mayflower said it was the lowest amount they would take as a move.
I had one lower bid of $3,400, but the salesman seemed too flim-flam. I just had to go with my gut.
In fairness to the lady salesperson with the Mayflower group, she did come to my house and help me pack most of my antique mirrors, large pictures and things for about 5 hours or so. FREE.
One of the packers, most likely, or movers stole a $100 industrial fan, also. Noticed it too late to get money back from Mayflower on it.
They also said I could store my things in their warehouse--EVEN FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR--until I was ready. THIS was BEFORE the sale. So, and let's guess the ending of this story, folks: when I was in Chicago about two months, I get a call from Mayflower in Houston saying, "when are you calling to get this stuff? We need the room."
Moral: Get EVERY LITTLE DETAIL IN WRITING. They flat out LIE to get the sale.
A friend of mine moved last year from New Jersey. He had a full 3 bedroom, 40 years of collection and, I think he said, 15,000 lbs. of stuff. His cost to the Chicago area was over $10,700.
Hope this gives you some idea. Again, Do NOT trust any moving company. Get EVERY detail in writing. Do NOT trust the salesperson either as they just want to make the sale most of the time. BE AWARE!
ALSO, Good Housekeeping magazine this month has a great article on moving. Look it up in the library if you cannot find a copy. I am using it as a guide for my next move.

TootsieWootsie

Old 07-29-2006, 03:29 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I moved last year from Sarasota to the greater Augusta, Ga area (not as far, I know). I used PODS. It was $295 for them to deliver the container and that included the first month of storage. Additional months were $190. The transfer to the new house was $1495. The beauty of this thing is that it sits right in your driveway, you load it (no ramp, it is a few inches above ground level) and take your time, you lock it, they deliver it when you are ready, you take your time unloading, they come get it when you are done. I got a 1375 sf 3 bedroom house + garage full of whatever that stuff my husband won't get rid of is + washer/dryer/upright freezer in it. PODS will give you an estimate right over the phone that is good for 30 days (estimate number included). If they do not service the area, there are plenty of other companies just like them out there. I will use them again.

Sorry I can't help with the auto transfer.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:03 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Evey,

Did everything arrive in one piece?

Old 07-29-2006, 05:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
The only thing that did not survive was one glass block (you know, the kind people use to make sidelights by their front doors or instead of windows?). We had 30 of them, and they were too heavy in the box. My husband sort of put one here & one there. One of them got a chip in the corner.

The nice thing was not having to drive a rental truck & worry about breakdowns.

We took 5 days unloading, because we were trying to replace carpet & paint a little as we were moving in. I will never use a rental truck for a long distance move again.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 80,878 times
TootsieWootsie,
Evey,
Thanks a lot for the help, folks!

Unfortuantely I won't be able to use PODS since we're in a townhome within an association and they don't allow a container on a driveway.

Around here we found Allied Van Lines which is a division of Mayflower. Well, looks like this interstate moving thing can end up to cost you a pretty penny. I guess we'll have to do some serious contemplating about what we really need to take with us, and be extra dilligent with the paperwork, of course.

TootsieWootsie,
If you don't mind answering another question - Does their quote automatically include their storage room upon arrival of your stuff?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Have you considered moving the things yourself? I realize this wasn't one of the options that you asked about, but have you thought about getting a few friends together, loading up a Uhaul and driving it down there? You could check the rates on the internet and I'm sure it would be a lot less costly.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM

35 posts, read 120,271 times
Default Do not do it!!!!

Do not do it, do not even consider moving to this place. I am from the south side, I have been living here for six years. There is nothing in Fort Myers or in the state of Florida but con-artist, rednecks, and self interested rich old people. If you have children the schools are very inferior, and forget about anything for those kids, the parks suck, there are very few neighborhoods with sidewalks, unless you want to pay for it. If you want a better area, and Chicago and the schools do have problems, consider New Mexico, Utah, anywhere but Florida, plus, the Pizza sucks. I have to be honest, I just do not want people to make the mistake I made.

quote=a_qwerty_1;47611]Hello,
I'm considering moving from suburban Chicago area to Fort Myers area(Lee or maybe Charlotte county). Does anyone know, at least approximately, how much such a move would cost? I have a typically furnished 3-bedroom place here and probably will need to take about 80-90% of all the belongings.
If you have done such a move from a N or NW suburban Chicago area, could you please advice on what company you used and ball-park costs?
I called several interstate movers but they wouldn't tell any usual ball-park figures until they do an on-site estimate, and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

In a separate question - does anyone know how much it is to move a car there?
We have 3 cars and guess that it will be cheaper to move them rather than sell and then buy new ones. I researched several car-moving companies and it looks like the average cost is about $700-800. But all of them can take your car only to Miami, where you then need to pick it up. Does anyone know of a company that's goes more local?

Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated![/quote]

Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM

46 posts, read 243,164 times
My husband and I are moving from Texas to Fort Myers in a few weeks. We are doing all of the packing ourselves. We got quotes from Graebel and United Van Lines - both were in the $6k range but we have a 2400 sf house full of stuff here (4 br, 2 living, 2 dining, etc). We are going with Graebel because we liked their insurance process better.

You can save 1-2k if you pack yourself. Look on Craigslist for free moving boxes and supplies (people recycle them when they unpack). All of this will help cut your costs.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area