U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 AM

25 posts, read 128,343 times

Advertisements

I have been an avid beach goer since I moved to the area, but like all of us, my time is very limited (even on the blessed weekends). So, in order to expedite other people's adventures, I thought I would ask which beaches people liked and why (I know, putting something like this out there will probably change one of things that make the "locals" beaches so nice... less people!).

1.) Lover's Key - less people, no HIGH RISES, and less "trash" on the beach (I am really tired of beer bottles and worse, cigarette butts on the beach... come on people, it is not a giant ash tray even if there is sand in it. I know how hard it is to quit smoking, and I am not saying don't do it, but just take your trash with you (and butts are trash). Don't forget, Naples banned all smoking at the beach for that very reason). Note, fee on this beach (buy a state park pass if you go a lot, and can be used at over 50 other state parks)

2.) Englewood beach (the state park is better than the municipal beach). The water here is that pretty aqua marine color and the sand is powder without all the shells (they have strange black rocks however).Note, fee on this beach (buy a state park pass if you go a lot, and can be used at over 50 other state parks)

3.) Bunche beach - former black segregation beach, now actually has a congregation of gay folk if that is your bag, just come on guy and gals, don't be cruisey, some of us have kids. Really pretty and off the beaten path (less people is why I like it, but close to amenities).

4.) Sanibel - various beaches - I like the sand there, but most of all you are allowed to have alcohol on them. The causeway beaches are nice, but they are "rocky" and lack restrooms (but they are building them).

5.) Fort Myers beach - I like the proximity to all the "tackiness" that FMB has to offer as a beach town, but the down side is people are slobs and make it really really dirty. See number 1. Beer bottles and cigarette butts in the sand is not cool. I know how hard it is to quit smoking, and I am not saying don't do it, but just take your trash with you (and butts are trash). I think it is your right to do with your body what you will, but it is not your right to pollute the area b/c you are lazy. If you are going to do that, stay off the beach IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM

934 posts, read 2,641,038 times
If you head a little bit more north, Siesta key is by far, one of the nicest beaches we have ever been to. The sand is like white baby powder and the water is nice too!

Englewood was a favorite of ours but we stopped going to the beach after all the redtide started to kill the fish and they were all over the beach.

We eventually moved from Florida but would still love to go to Siesta again for vac.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Nice add memoriesbre.
We go once a year to meet friends at Siesta Key from Ohio (our drive is lot less than theirs ).

I know what you mean about the red tide. The last time they were here, they had the red tide up in Siesta Key.

But you are right, the water is great and the sand is powder.

For those that look before they head out, check out this cool mash up of beach conditions: Beach Conditions Reports for Southwest Florida

Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,985,532 times
Honestly I like Vanderbilt beach.. I dunno perhaps its because I was practically raised on that beach. I still remember it without any highrises and beach and green as far as you can see. I still like the crowd down there, and its close to bathrooms and the Dipper Del ice cream shop.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM

93 posts, read 360,153 times
) Lover's Key - less people, no HIGH RISES, and less "trash" on the beach (I am really tired of beer bottles and worse, cigarette butts on the beach... come on people, it is not a giant ash tray even if there is sand in it. I know how hard it is to quit smoking, and I am not saying don't do it, but just take your trash with you (and butts are trash). Don't forget, Naples banned all smoking at the beach for that very reason). Note, fee on this beach (buy a state park pass if you go a lot, and can be used at over 50 other state parks)

As a smoker, I could not agree more. I always bring a baggie with me, and place all cigarette butts in it, when I leave. I do this in any public park. In the meantime, I keep trying to quit.

I have shared break areas with non-smokers who cannot walk two feet to throw their soda can in a garbage can.

Some people think some one will be along any second to pick up after them, I suppose.
Enjoy your beach trip

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM

MHoward48, I didn't mean to imply that smokers were the only "trash hounds". I see it done by a lot of people and it is just gross and inconsiderate.

Not to be too much of a tree hugger, but there is a saying, "We did not inherit the earth from our forefathers, but we are borrowing it from our children".

Thanks for bringing the baggie, I know many people appreciate it.

I know I would smell worse when I did smoke (and sometimes still do, depending on the level of beers I have had), I put them into can or worse, my pocket until I found a trash can.

What can you do? We are all subject to our vices.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM

376 posts, read 1,649,754 times
Don't forget, Naples banned all smoking at the beach for that very reason). NOT TRUE. The CITY of Naples proposed to do so, it was voted down. Mayor will not raise issue again.

My favorite beach is at 4th St. in Naples. or Horizon, if it is not tourist season.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM

93 posts, read 360,153 times
Hi Jeffabb,

Oh you didn't in anyway I totally agree with you. As a smoker, I hate to see anyone toss a cigarette out a window, or on the ground. Trash a beautiful public area we should all be protecting Still, I sure hope this will be the year I quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area