U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 19,549 times

Advertisements

My husband and I added a pool/hottub combo to our home end of 2006. We put in a salt water system as it was higly recommeded to us because of how easy it is to maintain. I also recommend that you consider a creepy crawly that vaccumes the pool when the pump is on. We rarely if ever turn our pool heater on, when we do its to heat up the hot tub. We also don't constantly run our pump it is set up on a timer. Origionally we used a pool service it was running us $80 a month, they guy came weekly and was in most cases in and out under 5 minutes. Were on well so I can't tell you how it will impact a water bill , our electric increased between $75-$100/month. The cost to maintain is fairly insignificant once a week we rinse out our filter and add salt to the pool as needed a bag of salt runs about $10. About once a month my husband brings a sample of our water up to Leslies where for free they will run an annlysis of your water and let you know what and if you need anything...We have had to shock the water a few times this past summer due to algee usually because we have gone several weeks without doing anything to the pool. Their was a three month lag when we stopped using the pool service until we actually did anything and our water was still in fairly good shape. A couple times a year we replace the filter which runs around $60...The only expenses that we had not planned for or anticipated for some time were for repairs...just this past summer we had two repairs both just under $400..Something got stuck in our filter and caused our motor to seize up and burn and their was a problem with our creepy crawly..when ever we have any problems we just go to Leslies they have talked us through EVERYTHING.

To us the pool was a great investment we have two kids and we take full advantage of having it. Even when not in use we find it relaxing to sit out on the patio around the pool especially at night with the lights going...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 PM

282 posts, read 914,325 times
What is the cost difference between a salted pool and unsalted? Anyone know?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
What if you have a chlorine pool...can you convert it to salt water????

Old 09-13-2009, 08:53 AM

282 posts, read 914,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhodes200 View Post
Yes you can, friends of mine did it.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 AM

513 posts, read 1,392,203 times
I talked to my pool chemical store supplier guy who I got friendly with over the years from buying stuff there. He said to leave the chlorine system in place that it wasn't as big a deal as THEY are making it out to be. The expense of switching if you already have a chlorine system. I liked the idea of less work, but from what he said, and he did sell the salt systems, it would not pay. Go to different stores when researching, do not rely totally on what someone here says. They'll just pass on what they were told, like me. I've had a pool for 6 years now and was looking into it a year ago and from what I found, as said before, it would not pay to switch. I do have a separate above ground hot tub that I use bromine in. The built in tubs look great, but are uncomfortable after a few minutes of sitting. Mine is a 6 person with all the right jets where I need them. Heated year round, pool heater is only on when family from the north comes down to take the chill off for them.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 AM

513 posts, read 1,392,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhodes200 View Post
the salt system makes it's own chlorine. they install some sort of electrical device in line to charge the salt particles as they pass through the device. One advantage is that there is no chlorine smell when you get out of the pool. Supposedly less work.???? I dump in half a jug of chlorine every weekend, test the water with the test strips every few days, then take a sample of water to the pool store for their testing just to be sure. Once in a while if it rains a lot you have to put in a bag of shock. Which is basicly powder equal to 4 gallons of liquid chlorine.
I have 2 pools and take care of both of them myself. There is not a whole lot to doing it yourself. I have auto vac,s in both also. Ya gotta brush the surface and ladders once in a while.
If you find conflicting info, please pass it on so I can be enlightened. I'm all for savings and ease of work.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 AM

340 posts, read 911,652 times
TJ, you have 2 pools? How about sharing with me? I don't have any. When you coming back down ??

Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 AM

917 posts, read 2,330,035 times
We had a chlorine pool when we used to live in the cape. Now I take care of a saltwater pool over the summers for a neighbor here in Punta Gorda.
The salt water pool is effortless. It couldn't be any easier.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,411,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
We had a chlorine pool when we used to live in the cape. Now I take care of a saltwater pool over the summers for a neighbor here in Punta Gorda.
The salt water pool is effortless. It couldn't be any easier.
I have a chlorine pool and it is effortless! I just have to pay my pool guy $ 85.00 a month. He does a grea job for me though - I'm not complaining. He waters my plants too when I'm not there.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM

63 posts, read 228,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
A pool is a like a boat. Great when you first have it and you enjoy it a lot ! Then the novelty wears off and you don't use it anymore and it just sits there.
I'm one of those crazies who puts 300 hours a year on a boat. Have been doing so for 5 years now.

But you are right, the pool is nice to look at but it doesn't get a lot of use. Still, it provides a nice view and pool service companies are extremely competitve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area