U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM

135 posts, read 368,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family is moving to the Fort Myers area this summer. We are looking at good places to live, and especially good schools. We have two young daughters. I have contacted Lee County Schools and it looks like I can't register my girls until I have a permanent address in the county. My husband is being transferred to Fort Myers on July 30th. I plan to head to the area at the end of May, beginning of June, to look at housing, and what areas to live. I have a question about schools if anyone could help me out. After contacting Lee County, I have found that most of the schools I had looked at and liked are already full, or will be by the time I register my girls. Is there any sure fire way to get into the school you want? Or do you just get the not so desireable schools if you have to register late? Also, I have looked at Catholic schools as well. Does anyone know how St. Francis Xavier or St. Andrew's is, compared to the public school system? I have been hearing both good and bad about public and private. I would appreciate any information. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:56 AM

25,449 posts, read 10,625,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxnc7 View Post
Hi,
My family is moving to the Fort Myers area this summer. We are looking at good places to live, and especially good schools. We have two young daughters. I have contacted Lee County Schools and it looks like I can't register my girls until I have a permanent address in the county. My husband is being transferred to Fort Myers on July 30th. I plan to head to the area at the end of May, beginning of June, to look at housing, and what areas to live. I have a question about schools if anyone could help me out. After contacting Lee County, I have found that most of the schools I had looked at and liked are already full, or will be by the time I register my girls. Is there any sure fire way to get into the school you want? Or do you just get the not so desireable schools if you have to register late? Also, I have looked at Catholic schools as well. Does anyone know how St. Francis Xavier or St. Andrew's is, compared to the public school system? I have been hearing both good and bad about public and private. I would appreciate any information. Thank You!
I haven't lived in Lee County in a while, but when I was there and from what I hear now from friends that are still in Lee, Cape Coral has the majority of the good schools. Not sure about St. Francis Xavier or St. Andrew's. Sorry, and good luck finding a school!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 AM

553 posts, read 1,791,136 times
I am moving down also, I was told the same thing about haveing a permanent address. I also found cape coral to have the better schools, so I would look there for a home .

Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,026 times
I went though what you are going through 10 years ago when I moved to Fort Myers. Finding the right school can very frustrating but it will happen. Both of my children were lucky enough to get into the full time gifted program at Allen Park Elementary. The school is very good. The difference between the regular education classes and gifted is amazing. The parents of the gifted students really cared and supported the school. Most were the educated doctors, lawyers, educators of the community. If your children don't qualify for the gifted program or the school does not group the children by ability I would probably opt for private elementary school. You will know if the school is right for you. You can always try public and enroll in private if you need to. The private catholic schools in Fort Myers have an excellent reputation as does St Micheals Lutheran. During the middlle school years we pulled out our children from public schools not because of the accademics but because of the environment. They are now flurishing at Evangelical Christian School in Fort Myers. Again I am not saying private school is for everyone. Fort Myers High School is the best public high school in the area. We feel by living in South Fort Myers ( Zone 2) if our children ever want to return to public school at some point that we will have access to Fort Myers High that you don't have if you live in Cape Coral or Lehigh. I will say I have heard some good things about North Fort Myers high school recently. Your biggest adjustment may be the effect that school choice places on your neighborhood. Because the children all go to different schools the sense of community is really effected. It makes it much harder to get to know your neighbors. Good Luck.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,023 times
Default Schools

Unless you can get into Allen Park you should consider private schools if you can afford it. You can try and select the school every year and see if you can get in but the school choice program here leaves a lot to be desired. The public schools try but too many of the parents do not value education enough to push their children to be respectfula dn do their assignments or at least that was our observations. The catholic schools are good and you might also want to consider Noonan Elementary Academy. They are affiliated somewhat with the church but not as religously orientated as some of the others. We have three kids there and have been very happy with it. You can go online and get the FCAT scores of each public school if you decide to go that route.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM

135 posts, read 368,373 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to all for the information. We are heading that way around the middle of June to check out schools and places to live. We will probably have to rent for a while before we buy because we are not familiar with the area, and due to my husbands training, we won't have time to look for a place to buy before we get there. I have heard that Sout Fort Myers, Estero, and Bonita are all pretty good areas. I haven't heard too many good things about Cape Coral? Not sure why. I do appreciate the school info. I had inquired about Allen Park Elem. but am not too hopeful of getting in there, at least this year. I hadn't heard of Noonan Elementary, so maybe it will be worth checking out. We come from a school that has a lot of parent involvment, and most all of the children come from homes where the parents are very involved with there child's education. I am sure it will take time, but we will find what we are looking for, I hope! Thanks again!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 AM

83 posts, read 285,140 times
I have only read your post and noone elses. Lets just say that I was doing damn good in illinois before I moved to FL in 92. They let me pass 7th grade with straight F's and 1 D. Gulf Middle. Then I got to highschool mariner high...and they let me graduate while I skipped almost every class and brought liquor to school in snapple bottles! Florida schools are really bad! Florida is really bad! I would go with a private school for sure. I am 27 years old and I wish i woudl have gotten a better education or someone would have cared to give me one. a call to my parents that I was skipping or something! What got me was that the lady you bring your notes too when your out sick, used to forge notes for kids, the popular ones. Go figure!

And by the way tara girl, she is right! lee County is a terrible place to live. Some kid just got shot over a dollar last week! Lehigh Avres and cape coral are pumping out grow houses by the dozens ebvery week. cape Coral just laid off a bunch of cops! Lee County is going to hell in a handbag FAST! I woudlnt reccomend anyone to live here and HOW DARE YOU tell someone who is giving an opinion to can it! People here ask for allkinds of opinions and if we have honest ones we will give them! There are some smart kids in FL yes, but the majority are a joke! Fl is too big of a melting pot. My class of 99 WERE all HOPPED up on EXTACY! ESPECIALLY at graduation, and our class trip, and durring classes!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,792 times
The schools are horrible in lee county, but then Florida PERIOD. I found that school official and many parents are so caught in uniforms or perhaps making their so life time easy. Rather then focusing in the academics, teachers and SAFETY. They seem to be preoccupied with uniforms. I learned that many parents really believe that uniforms made their children brighter and some didn't want to deal with everyday parenting. Those believe let the school dictate to their child. Scary! and an abundance of ignorant I found within parents.

I learned that my child was pretty much repeating in her class in FLA. what she had learned the previous year in the school up north.

I decided to then send my child to private school over the bridge. A hefty price but well worth it. She did get a great education. An education I believe the state owe to my child and all other children in the cape for free, well at us taxpayers. Unfortunately, The state main concern are tourism then seniors and the heck with tomorrow's future, OUR KIDS. I wish there were more parents that did not go with the flow and got involved with the real issues.

I am glad to say we move back. We are sooooooo happy and living reality. Parents, pls do your research. Pay attention to the indiviual locals who would praise these school system. It' s your child's education and well worth the extensive research.
Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,073 times
There are horrible schools in Lee, there are also good schools. My son's school is mediocre in terms of understanding his emotional and academic needs, which are a bit different from the norm. His experience varies widely with the teacher from year to year, even though it's technically an "A" school. Allen Park has an excellent reputation, Alva Elementary, where my son goes, is well loved by many, not so much by me anymore. Sunshine Elementary has a great reputation, and a full time gifted program if you qualify. I grew up in Illinois where I went to a very affluent and reputable elementary school and my son's curriculum is, so far, the same as mine was. It's funny how some will always blame others for their own bad decisions. Alcohol in Snapple bottles? Oh yes, the school's fault I'm sure.

The problem with moving here in summer is the school choice system which I'm sure you've figured out by now. By the time you arrive, and apply for school choice, everyone else has already picked and you're out in the cold. I believe we start choice in April. I don't think there's anyway to get around that, although I'm told there is preferential choice for people who live within two miles of the school they want. Also, if you qualify for a special program (e.g. gifted, hearing impaired) you're in the cluster for your district automatically if there's space. The choice districts are divided up by area. For example, we are in east, which is why I know more about those schools.

I realize this is a done deal for you at this point, but thought this might be helpful for someone else down the road. School choice is a really terrible, neighborhood killing policy. Kids get bussed all over the district at the district's expense, and the kids sit on the bus sometimes for hours. My son doesn't even know the kids on our own street b/c they ALL go to different schools, most public. I believe it's a desegragation strategy, but it stinks. - D

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 AM

32 posts, read 78,444 times
I'll be leaving this area because I will not send my child to these schools. If you are interested in paying way too much in taxes, taking on the city council regularly, and experiencing a major increase in utilities. Then by all means, please feel free to purchase my home at a 100,000.00 loss and come here to the land of sunshine and 23% unemployment. Just remember to bring your check book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area