U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:18 PM

282 posts, read 915,012 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell Cape Coral is low crime if you compare the population to the other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM

317 posts, read 694,406 times
Compared to a few other Florida cities with similar population numbers, Cape Coral seems better.

Each city of each size has crime - Apopka, which has a population of a little over 38,000 - has MORE violent crimes in 2008 than Cape Coral did with nearly 5 times the population. Belle Glade has a population of 16,000 and their crimes are sky high. Boynton Beach has half of Cape's population and twice the number of violent crimes.

Anyways - I don't feel unsafe here. I don't know anyone who has been robbed or who has been accosted in downtown Fort Myers and raped, or anyone who has been carjacked. Does it happen? Yea - duh. But it happens everywhere regardless of where you live. Looking through that list I didn't see but one place where the crime seemed relatively low and that was Palm Beach but I can assure you I am in no place to be living there!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:28 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,316,057 times
The 2008 crime stats are a little dated it seems.

Cape Coral Crime Drops 15.7 Percent in 2009-City of Cape Coral
This decrease comes on the heels of a 9.4 percent reduction in 2008. Cape Coral Police reported 4565 total index crimes in 2009, down from 5417 crimes the ...

http://www.capecoral.net/Government/...t-in-2009.aspx

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 03-15-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM

455 posts, read 878,234 times
24 hours worth of articles from the News Press:

Police investigate three home invasions in Cape Coral | news-press.com | The News-Press

Man charged with robbery with pellet gun in Cape Coral | news-press.com | The News-Press

Cape Coral police arrest two men, woman on heroin and opium charges | news-press.com | The News-Press

Cape Coral home target of arson | news-press.com | The News-Press

Car burglary suspects nabbed after diving into Cape Coral canal | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM

317 posts, read 694,406 times
You can find those exact same headlines in any other newspaper in any other city of comparable size.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM

282 posts, read 915,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
You can find those exact same headlines in any other newspaper in any other city of comparable size.
Exactly! Cape Coral is a large city of course there is crime. But for the size of it the crime is low.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Every Realtor is going to tell you how wonderful a place it is, because that is how they make a living. Not one will tell you the real deal with the Cape, ie; the CRIME,SHOOTINGS, DRUGS, GANGS AND HOME INVASIONS, that go on , on a regular basis. How do I know this (since the city counsel and powers in government keep this all as hush hush as possible as it might tarnish "paradise") Paradise LOST!
I moved to the cape in 1982 when it WAS a nice place ,since then it has turned into a glorified slum.
Your neighbors maybe a grow house, or a meth lab or maybe just waiting for you to go out of town so they can rob you blind . The place has no moral ,no values , a police dept that never catches anyone or solves anything as it seems they are mostly on the take. ( I had friends who were police and I lost much respect for them). Every part of that city and county are corrupt. Do some research on how many have been exposed, but it goes very very deep. They are all money hungry and care nothing about the city ,county and or it's people. The drugs are rapid there, one can see drug deals going on in the open on a daily basis. The cartel is there to stay. No place for seniors of families. My whole family and all our friends have all listed, sold and fled. Sorry to say its LA in the making! Google " little pakistan ft myers" you will see. Do not be fooled into anyone saying that the Cape is different ITS NOT!!!!!!!!! We ran for our lives and the lives of our kids ,friends and families. Thats Crap Coral from someone who lived there when it WAS nice...the 1980's every year it get worse! Its bad. My heart goes out to those who are still trapped there, working on getting out!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 AM

2,329 posts, read 4,328,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom catt View Post
Every Realtor is going to tell you how wonderful a place it is, because that is how they make a living. Not one will tell you the real deal with the Cape, ie; the CRIME,SHOOTINGS, DRUGS, GANGS AND HOME INVASIONS, that go on , on a regular basis. How do I know this (since the city counsel and powers in government keep this all as hush hush as possible as it might tarnish "paradise") Paradise LOST!
I moved to the cape in 1982 when it WAS a nice place ,since then it has turned into a glorified slum.
Your neighbors maybe a grow house, or a meth lab or maybe just waiting for you to go out of town so they can rob you blind . The place has no moral ,no values , a police dept that never catches anyone or solves anything as it seems they are mostly on the take. ( I had friends who were police and I lost much respect for them). Every part of that city and county are corrupt. Do some research on how many have been exposed, but it goes very very deep. They are all money hungry and care nothing about the city ,county and or it's people. The drugs are rapid there, one can see drug deals going on in the open on a daily basis. The cartel is there to stay. No place for seniors of families. My whole family and all our friends have all listed, sold and fled. Sorry to say its LA in the making! Google " little pakistan ft myers" you will see. Do not be fooled into anyone saying that the Cape is different ITS NOT!!!!!!!!! We ran for our lives and the lives of our kids ,friends and families. Thats Crap Coral from someone who lived there when it WAS nice...the 1980's every year it get worse! Its bad. My heart goes out to those who are still trapped there, working on getting out!
in 1980 Cape coral's population was less than 1/5 of what it is now. Considering the size of the city geographically it must have been pretty small town feel. I can imagine someone watching the city explode population, infrastructure, and yes crime wise. it is funny when I talk to people that lived in Springfield, Ma (which is now a dump) they all say it was nice when they were growing up there.

Cities growth is inevitable. you hope that the people that it attracts will be a positive influence on the community. a city has to decide whether it is going to be exclusive or inclusive. Cape Coral seems to have taken the path that they want to be inclusive. There will be both positive and negatives that come with this approach. A lot of what you said though is misleading. I am sure the crime is a lot worse than it was in 1980 but compared to other cities it's size it is low, these are put out by the FBI not the city. The Cape police have double the arrest record on violent crimes than the national average so your premise that they don't solve crimes is incorrect. the newspress is full of mug shots of people caught. and really ???? to prove crime in Cape Coral your example is a small section of Ft Myers that a few people refer to as Lil Pakistan? Last I checked Ft Myers was a separate city
fyi drugs are everywhere. Say hi to Equal for all of us.

Last edited by nhkev; 05-18-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,316,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom catt View Post
There is little credibility from someone who supposedly lived here for over 30 years and has their first post now. Something must have happened to him personally that made him so bitter towards CC. I have not seen any of what Tom says in my few years here. The crime maps don't lie. Most arrests are along major roads and commercial areas with bars. There are very few major crimes. I think the CC Police Dept is doing a great job.
There are better areas than others. Often areas with more apartments (not condos) have higher crime.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 29,173 times
OP
I am almost 69 years old and a widow. Since my husband retired at age 50 I have longed to live in Florida; why, I don't know. He promised we'd rent in Myrtle Beach for a year, then rent in Florida for a year and that would give us the basis for a final decision. Never worked that way; too much good golf in MB so we bought a home and stayed. I'm happy I didn't fight with his decision because of how things happened.
My husband has been gone for almost four years and I'm just about ready to make the move and then I read your post. Wind went out of my sails. I have perused all kinds of sites, have read postings from people living in CC and Fort Myers and nothing has been said that compares to your evaluation of the area. Actually, my ex husband and his wife live in N Fort Myers and have told me they love the area and are very comfortable here.
As one poster asked, has anything happened to you personally to contribute to your very negative opinion of that area? I certainly don't wish to be the subject of a home invasion;the thought of it is not very appealing. Wouldn't want to have to shoot anyone.
I plan on renting for about a year and keeping the home I have in Myrtle Beach until I have made my final decision. I'd like your honest input. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area