Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times

Advertisements

Please excuse my ignorance here but if I would live in Cape Coral ( on the canals) is there a risk for storm surge? Is the area known for flooding?

I'm not sure how storm surge works but isn't that an issue more for ocean front areas and it would be from the waves pushing in? And then Cape Coral would tend to flood?

Does anyone know how much the water rises in Cape Coral usually during a storm?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Please excuse my ignorance here but if I would live in Cape Coral ( on the canals) is there a risk for storm surge? Is the area known for flooding?

I'm not sure how storm surge works but isn't that an issue more for ocean front areas and it would be from the waves pushing in? And then Cape Coral would tend to flood?

Does anyone know how much the water rises in Cape Coral usually during a storm?

Thanks!
Cape Coral is very low. The last real storm surge was from Donna. What will flood is just a guess but the risk for a storm surge is very high.
Lee County Storm Surge Map (http://www.bonitafire.org/page20.html - broken link)
Storm Surge Areas (http://www.leepa.org/GISDepartment/StormSurge1.htm - broken link)

Last edited by firemed; 04-30-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
Thanks! Those are great sites! I appreciate your help!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM

34 posts, read 181,652 times
Default Storm surge?

What is a storm surge? I just moved to South Cape Coral and I keep hearing about them.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyheart View Post
What is a storm surge? I just moved to South Cape Coral and I keep hearing about them.
This is a link from NOAA.
Storm Surge

Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Firemed how bad did pine island get hit with the last hurricane ? just wondering. I remember seeing alot of blue tarps on the outer islands.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Firemed how bad did pine island get hit with the last hurricane ? just wondering. I remember seeing alot of blue tarps on the outer islands.
Pine Island took a hit dead on in Pineland. The storm surge did not hit as hard due to the fast turn it made. It was a very small storm but strong. Here is a picture from pineland marina and a blue tarp.

This is Punta Gorda

Last edited by firemed; 05-04-2008 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM

I was in punta gorda 2 weeks after . It looked like a war zone. I just didnt know how bad pine Island got it. Thanks for the pics. Also do you know if the PD and FIre dept is hireing down there? cc, ft myers, naples. that whole area. Up here you have to take civil service tests , do you have to there ?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I was in punta gorda 2 weeks after . It looked like a war zone. I just didnt know how bad pine Island got it. Thanks for the pics. Also do you know if the PD and FIre dept is hireing down there? cc, ft myers, naples. that whole area. Up here you have to take civil service tests , do you have to there ?
We don't have the civil service tests anymore. I think the City of Fort Myers is the only one that has it anymore. Things don't look good for a job right now in the fire end. I can't say about the PD. Tax cuts are very big this year and alot of jobs may be cut.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
We don't have the civil service tests anymore. I think the City of Fort Myers is the only one that has it anymore. Things don't look good for a job right now in the fire end. I can't say about the PD. Tax cuts are very big this year and alot of jobs may be cut.
to bad. My youngest son is graduating this year and should be going to FGCU , if he moves with us LOL . He wants to be a cop. I saw there were better oportunities down there,where I am suffolk county cops make alot but it takes a while to get on . NYPD seems to be always hiring but they dont make any money, you cant even live on what they start you at. The fdny is good but I think he wants to be a cop more, even though he has uncles that were and are in the FDNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area