Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 07:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live in Lehigh Acres if you gave me a beautiful, free house. It's not just the crime, it's the lack of anywhere decent to shop other than Wal-Mart and Dollar Stores. No entertainment, movie theatres, skating rink, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 06:05 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,205 times
Hello, I have heard the area around Colonial and Winkler may be getting 'sketchy' because of Lehigh proximity? True or ? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 AM

You want to live south of Colonial with a few exceptions.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You want to live south of Colonial with a few exceptions.
Thanks...having said that being just south of Colonial could be taking a chance too?

Old 02-08-2021, 06:03 AM

Depends on where. Stay away from Pine Manor which is mostly duplexes. It used to be a nice place for newlyweds back in the 70's, now not so much. Be ware of anything near the Edison Mall. Are you strictly looking for a duplex?

Of course if you're an investor you probably don't care where your tenants live as long as the money comes in am I right?

Old 02-08-2021, 09:05 AM

207 posts, read 422,155 times
Two different posters. OP looking for duplexes, not backtochitown.

Regarding Lehigh Acres, it's generally one of the more lowly regarded areas so that makes it less desirable to potential tenants. That being said, there's still a need for rental housing so I'm sure you will be able to get tenants easily if the price is right. Whether you can easily collect rent when due, that's a crapshoot but there's always a possibility of defaulting tenants even in the greatest areas.

Regarding the Colonial & Winkler area, it's hard to say what's going on there as a lot of new housing has gone up in the past couple of years right there so the area may have improved with the addition of the new developments that went in. Are you looking for something specific, backtochitown? I think in that area, even just north of Colonial should be fine. Generally the "stay south of Colonial" warnings are most applicable to the area from downtown over to Veronica Shoemaker. For example, you would probably want to avoid something like the Tice area of Fort Myers. I'd say that area is worse than Lehigh Acres.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Hello, I have heard the area around Colonial and Winkler may be getting 'sketchy' because of Lehigh proximity? True or ? Thanks!
Yes and it’s been ‘sketchy’ for YEARS... has nothing to do with Lehigh.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Two different posters. OP looking for duplexes, not backtochitown.

Regarding Lehigh Acres, it's generally one of the more lowly regarded areas so that makes it less desirable to potential tenants. That being said, there's still a need for rental housing so I'm sure you will be able to get tenants easily if the price is right. Whether you can easily collect rent when due, that's a crapshoot but there's always a possibility of defaulting tenants even in the greatest areas.

Regarding the Colonial & Winkler area, it's hard to say what's going on there as a lot of new housing has gone up in the past couple of years right there so the area may have improved with the addition of the new developments that went in. Are you looking for something specific, backtochitown? I think in that area, even just north of Colonial should be fine. Generally the "stay south of Colonial" warnings are most applicable to the area from downtown over to Veronica Shoemaker. For example, you would probably want to avoid something like the Tice area of Fort Myers. I'd say that area is worse than Lehigh Acres.
Tice and Lehigh could be twins... add Pine Manor and you’ve got triplets.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,687 times
Lehigh Acres is a big place. There's no "city plan". There's no tax base to pay for police, fire, emergency services. The no city plan means it it's just a grid of streets and empty lots for miles and miles. There's no shopping or entertainment or restaurants or "public" kinds of areas (think a town center or a major corner intersection with stores/gas station/restaurant.) There's no place to walk/bike to. There's no place for your kids to go (a playground or ball field or park or community pool or rec center.). I'm guessing living along a more populated street or a more populated area would be better.

The other weird thing that I find in the Fort Myers area (and probably other areas) is how areas are "walled in" by "drainage ditches". I hear Pine Manor is bad - but across the 'canal' aka the drainage ditch from it are nicer better places to live. Each little subdivision is a little like a "gated community" in that you can't easily cross over between the subdivisions. You have to go out to a main road and then go into the next subdivision.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae_Mag View Post
Lehigh Acres is a big place. There's no "city plan". There's no tax base to pay for police, fire, emergency services. The no city plan means it it's just a grid of streets and empty lots for miles and miles. There's no shopping or entertainment or restaurants or "public" kinds of areas (think a town center or a major corner intersection with stores/gas station/restaurant.) There's no place to walk/bike to. There's no place for your kids to go (a playground or ball field or park or community pool or rec center.). I'm guessing living along a more populated street or a more populated area would be better.

The other weird thing that I find in the Fort Myers area (and probably other areas) is how areas are "walled in" by "drainage ditches". I hear Pine Manor is bad - but across the 'canal' aka the drainage ditch from it are nicer better places to live. Each little subdivision is a little like a "gated community" in that you can't easily cross over between the subdivisions. You have to go out to a main road and then go into the next subdivision.
I’m curious... what ‘nice area’ are you talking about that’s across the ‘canal’ from Pine Manor? That side of Summerlin is trash all the way down... with the exception of Reflections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area