Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You mention diversity for your son. What are you looking for? Any groups in particular?
'Any groups in particular?' Diversity means no groups in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 28,362 times
Thank you all for sharing your views and thoughts. I do know about real estate agents, I have been in real estate all my life. I even have a license but would never actively work within a brokerage. Was inside the agency just to see for myself and run out screaming. Horrid crowd. But yes indeed, one should do their own homework independently and then have a realtor help close a deal.

In my case here, this is why I am asking people's advice. Because just driving around is not going to give much facts either.

I rented a house in Ft Myers, near Snell Park, McGregor. This was the only house that accepted our two dogs. Has a pool and is lovely inside. This gives us 2 months now, to explore up and down the coast.

I realize that 700K is not enough for what i really want. I just have that number as a comfortable number for random realestate shopping, 5 bedrooms in not a deal breaker either. I am hoping to be able to edit the house to create a set up that will work on rare times that all my 4 kids and their future families can visit. I would love access to the water. Not sure if it is as wonderful as it sounds. Maybe its an expensive waste of time and storm risk. I don't know. Maybe having a house that offers what I need is better.

I definitely do not like the look of the box houses in row, with no tropical plants in sight. I have been looking online a lot. I see more appealing areas inland form Naples for example. Larger properties, like 2-5 acres, privacy and space. Elegant houses and wonderful nature and trees. Can anyone tell me which area is good for this sort of location. I only saw the west of Naples area. I dont see much from Ft Myers, Then I see north, like Punta Gorda and north of that, decent looking, even water front.

I am concerned about my son being bored and not finding livelihood in this area. This is very important of course. He does not want to live in a city but must have some possibilities. This is a big reason why I am asking around here, as I sure will not be expecting a real estate agent tell me the answers. With diversity I mean people of different ages, younger. Also different cultures, hispanic, black in addition to white. We have lived in all white area all his life up by Chicago and he is sick of it. I am european and also find it extremely unpleasant to be living with privileged white americans. It is painful. The arrogance and ignorance is shocking for a worldly bunch like us. We do travel all the time. The covid did put a damper on travel so now we are hoping to relocate to nicer place, which we hope is south florida.

Also we need to travel eventually as family up in Scandinavia, my business in the caribbean and chicagoland. Need a good airport near. how are the airports there ?

Thank you again ! Helena

Old 02-12-2021, 06:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnjammer View Post
Thank you all for sharing your views and thoughts. I do know about real estate agents, I have been in real estate all my life. I even have a license but would never actively work within a brokerage. Was inside the agency just to see for myself and run out screaming. Horrid crowd. But yes indeed, one should do their own homework independently and then have a realtor help close a deal.

In my case here, this is why I am asking people's advice. Because just driving around is not going to give much facts either.

I rented a house in Ft Myers, near Snell Park, McGregor. This was the only house that accepted our two dogs. Has a pool and is lovely inside. This gives us 2 months now, to explore up and down the coast.

I realize that 700K is not enough for what i really want. I just have that number as a comfortable number for random realestate shopping, 5 bedrooms in not a deal breaker either. I am hoping to be able to edit the house to create a set up that will work on rare times that all my 4 kids and their future families can visit. I would love access to the water. Not sure if it is as wonderful as it sounds. Maybe its an expensive waste of time and storm risk. I don't know. Maybe having a house that offers what I need is better.

I definitely do not like the look of the box houses in row, with no tropical plants in sight. I have been looking online a lot. I see more appealing areas inland form Naples for example. Larger properties, like 2-5 acres, privacy and space. Elegant houses and wonderful nature and trees. Can anyone tell me which area is good for this sort of location. I only saw the west of Naples area. I dont see much from Ft Myers, Then I see north, like Punta Gorda and north of that, decent looking, even water front.

I am concerned about my son being bored and not finding livelihood in this area. This is very important of course. He does not want to live in a city but must have some possibilities. This is a big reason why I am asking around here, as I sure will not be expecting a real estate agent tell me the answers. With diversity I mean people of different ages, younger. Also different cultures, hispanic, black in addition to white. We have lived in all white area all his life up by Chicago and he is sick of it. I am european and also find it extremely unpleasant to be living with privileged white americans. It is painful. The arrogance and ignorance is shocking for a worldly bunch like us. We do travel all the time. The covid did put a damper on travel so now we are hoping to relocate to nicer place, which we hope is south florida.

Also we need to travel eventually as family up in Scandinavia, my business in the caribbean and chicagoland. Need a good airport near. how are the airports there ?

Thank you again ! Helena
What part of chicago? I was born and raised in Chicago. Glad another Midwestern is moving down to counter all the east coast people moving here haha...

I read your initial post and then your last one here.. sounds like you don’t need a real estate agent but a tour guide haha!

One area to look further in would be the Golden Gate Estates, very hit or miss. You’ll have the “prestigious” Naples address there but be on your own well and septic. Big private lots, garden and flower galore.

You will definitely get Hispanics out there, as many are moving from Miami and buying up land out there.

Fort Myers airport is pretty good, it’s relatively new and international, what more can you ask for?

Old 02-13-2021, 06:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
You’d be surprised what you can find out about an area just by driving around.. especially in Fort Myers. Generally, the further south you go in Fort Myers the better.

As I said, Cape Coral is a different story... with the exception of gated communities, you’ll find older rundown homes mixed in with newer well kept homes. The problem in the Cape is there’s no defined ‘low income’ area. The Cape wasn’t expected to be like it is today.

Naples is nice ans you might find what your looking foe there, but your son will be bored chitless. It’s mainly older retired folks with a few families thrown in. Try Bonita Springs or Estero.

Good thing is you have two months to do your research... use that time wisely and ask a lot of questions.

As for flying to the Caribbean from Fort Myers, you can forget it. Fly out of Fort Lauderdale... its a lot easier.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The OP has been complaining about terrible boring white people and wanting to move to a more diverse location for more than 11 years. In 2009 she was intent on moving to Miami.

"i am a white scandinavian woman, living in chicago. want to move to miami area and join in the diverse group of people and share the more vibrant life style.

the white people here in chicago are so stuck up and boring, it is embarrasing to be a white person. who cares about the skin color. it is all about the personality and the energy. american white people are the most boring people on earth. shame on them." [January 2009]

" here in chicago it is all boring white people thinking they are so great. i find them so midwestern and unworldly. just religious and stupid. i shall check miami area for myself and hope to find the lively people that i thought live in south eastern florida." [January 2009]

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miam...ml#post6940024

You are still complaining but have made no changes in your life.

I don't think that anyone would claim that the Ft. Myers area would be sophisticated enough to meet your high European standards. Why don't you try LA? I think there is a "vibe" that might appeal to you with your sophisticated ways.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:55 AM

51 posts, read 63,723 times
^^^^geezus, you have to go search the poster's previous statements dating back to 2009??

For godsake "Lillie" , who the heck do you think you are? an arbiter of another's life choices and the timing thereof as well ???

Lots of things can happen in a person's life since 2009, or in a span of TWELVE years = things and circumstances DO change in people's lives....

Then you pop off in a snide comments about her "standards" ??

Get a hobby

Old 02-13-2021, 07:57 AM

51 posts, read 63,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
'Any groups in particular?' Diversity means no groups in particular.

CORRECT, but Lillie767 apparently has an agenda

Old 02-13-2021, 09:49 AM

18 posts, read 28,362 times
Hello all. Thank you kindly for all thoughts shared. Also Lillie767. It is true that I have been trying to find the right location for us in Florida for a while now. Researched the Miami areas and discovered the flood issues and was strongly advised against investing money in that area, by good friends who are insurance brokers specializing in that area and those issues. Not good. Also the school system was very confusing and my kids were younger 2009. So I have slowly done research and finally am feeling curious about the SW Florida. FYI, I have lived in LA. Not my kind. My daughter lives there now and is agreeing - those folks are on a different planet. I am sorry for my harsh words. I guess being european I dont have the thick filter. We say what we think and think what we say. That is what I am hoping to find in a diversed mixed community. Not sure if it even exists anymore after what has been going on. Just want to find nice people that do not think themselves better than others just because they have a few dollars in the bank (or often not, just a big loan from the bank).

I shall look at the rural space west of Naples ... and maybe the Bonita Springs? Why do I hear mixed messages about Ft Myers itself? I hear it is booming, yet some people say it is rough and not desirable. What is the actual fact? Are we safe renting this house? Should we be aware of something? Avoid some areas? As of now, we do not know of any of this in real detail. The area we are staying in is called Valencia Terrace, I think, looking at the map.

Also, what is happening in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and Venice, north of Ft Myers ? Or is it best to just head south bound ?

Have a great weekend - here it is -11F at this moment. Snowing.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:56 AM

88 posts, read 86,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The OP has been complaining about terrible boring white people and wanting to move to a more diverse location for more than 11 years. In 2009 she was intent on moving to Miami.

"i am a white scandinavian woman, living in chicago. want to move to miami area and join in the diverse group of people and share the more vibrant life style.

the white people here in chicago are so stuck up and boring, it is embarrasing to be a white person. who cares about the skin color. it is all about the personality and the energy. american white people are the most boring people on earth. shame on them." [January 2009]

" here in chicago it is all boring white people thinking they are so great. i find them so midwestern and unworldly. just religious and stupid. i shall check miami area for myself and hope to find the lively people that i thought live in south eastern florida." [January 2009]

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miam...ml#post6940024

You are still complaining but have made no changes in your life.

I don't think that anyone would claim that the Ft. Myers area would be sophisticated enough to meet your high European standards. Why don't you try LA? I think there is a "vibe" that might appeal to you with your sophisticated ways.
Good job outing a troll Lillie
Clearly this person just likes to hear herself talk ......just seeking attention
She might be happy in Suncoast or maybe Dunbar if she seeks diversity

Old 02-13-2021, 11:32 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
CORRECT, but Lillie767 apparently has an agenda
Yes - separating real inquiries from specious comments.

Someone who goes on and on about terrible white people in Chicago? I'm not upset about her; she is just someone who is sucking up oxygen and is irrelevant. There are people who like to be provocative just to provoke. So who is she? She says she is a superior european woman who can't stand boring, religious, stupid, embarrassing, stuck-up, ignorant white americans.

"I am european and also find it extremely unpleasant to be living with privileged white americans. It is painful. The arrogance and ignorance is shocking for a worldly bunch like us. We do travel all the time."

The same tune for 11 years - no other posts other than the seven which bash white people in Chicago. Really.

If it's diversity she's looking for, she should go and move to another neighborhood in Chicago. How much more diversity does she want beyond what Chicago can provide. And Chicago has better food than Ft. Myers for sure.

The OP's comments are quite "trollish" and racist. Quotes: privileged white americans, arrogance and ignorance, painful to live among, embarrassing to be a white person, white people are religious and stupid, boring white people, white people are stuck-up, shame on them [white people].

I thought she would fit right in with the LA crowd, but I guess I'm wrong. "Not my kind. My daughter lives there now and is agreeing - those folks are on a different planet. "

I think she should re-examine Miami-Dade. I'm sure she would feel more comfortable among those displaced New Yorkers and the Latin, South American vibes than living among the I-75 transplants on the west coast.

The west coast is probably too white for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area