Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2021, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 30,195 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a job in downtown Fort Myers soon, and need advice on where to live.
We want to be somewhere safe, with good schools, and hopefully a half-decent commute.

I'm looking to purchase a home in the 300-450k range (depending on HOA/CCD), 3 or preferably 4 bedrooms, and preferably its own pool, but at least a community pool. Community fitness center, tennis, and golf would be awesome, but may be beyond our budget.

I know I should avoid North Fort Myers and Lehigh Acres. Beyond that, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 05:30 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Lots of good options in that price range. inventory is tight, you'll have to be very quick/aggressive but a 3 bedroom pool home for under $450k is definitely do-able. Same for Estero as well, even Bonita possibly.

Golf might be tight, unless its bundled golf therefore having very high HOA fees ($1k/mo all in usually plus F&B spend in clubhouse) and if that's the case, then the home prices are lower. (Like Worthington in Bonita for a coach home vs a similar home next door in Village walk or San Remo - one has bundled golf with high HOA fees and one has no golf and low HOA fees).

Old 03-28-2021, 08:28 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I would consider Gateway. It's also close to downtown.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:20 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would consider Gateway. It's also close to downtown.

Definitely.

3-4 bedroom pool home in Gateway is very doable at $400K - even less. Gateway golf and tennis club recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. There is no requirement to join. There are about 30 different communities within Gateway and amenities and HOA fees, and what is included in the HOA fees, can vary widely from one to another. Most are gated, but some are not. There is a CDD that handles all of the infrastructure like water, sidewalks, landscaping, etc. as well as parks. CDD fee is not that bad - about $675/year for all single family homes in Gateway.

There are several schools within Gateway (public and charter) including a new HS that is to open this summer. But "good" schools is in the eye of the beholder depending on where you are coming from. Schools everywhere in SWFL do not compare favorably to schools in many other areas of the country. Also, in Lee County there is the school choice system which could cause your kids to attend a school far from the neighborhood school. Someone who has direct experience with that system can better answer questions about the ins and outs of Lee County school choices.

I would not call Gateway close to downtown Fort Myers (which is a good thing), but it is not too far either. About 11 miles from my house in Gateway. But traffic can make the 20-25 minute ride double or more. But still, nothing like bigger cities elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:20 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Definitely.

3-4 bedroom pool home in Gateway is very doable at $400K - even less. Gateway golf and tennis club recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. There is no requirement to join. There are about 30 different communities within Gateway and amenities and HOA fees, and what is included in the HOA fees, can vary widely from one to another. Most are gated, but some are not. There is a CDD that handles all of the infrastructure like water, sidewalks, landscaping, etc. as well as parks. CDD fee is not that bad - about $675/year for all single family homes in Gateway.

There are several schools within Gateway (public and charter) including a new HS that is to open this summer. But "good" schools is in the eye of the beholder depending on where you are coming from. Schools everywhere in SWFL do not compare favorably to schools in many other areas of the country. Also, in Lee County there is the school choice system which could cause your kids to attend a school far from the neighborhood school. Someone who has direct experience with that system can better answer questions about the ins and outs of Lee County school choices.

I would not call Gateway close to downtown Fort Myers (which is a good thing), but it is not too far either. About 11 miles from my house in Gateway. But traffic can make the 20-25 minute ride double or more. But still, nothing like bigger cities elsewhere.
Great response! Very informative and 100% correct on all points.

If you did join golf or tennis, the rates are much lower too compared to Naples clubs.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 30,195 times
Gateway is out due to schools.I did a lot of research. First, Lee County breaks school choice into 3 zones, and Gateway is lumped with Tice, Lehigh Acres, etc. The outcomes of all the schools in that zone generally are not what we'd like. Statistically, the other two zones are noticeably better. That also goes for the charter schools.

Right now we're looking at the gated communities in the Harlem Heights / Cypress Lake area. Is that a good or bad area overall?

We're also looking at homes at the area west of the I75 from Gateway, as well as Estero.

Last edited by dingbat1; 04-13-2021 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 04-13-2021, 01:19 PM

207 posts, read 422,155 times
Cape Coral would work for your budget but there aren't a large number of gated communities here. You might want to check out Sandoval which is pretty central & convenient to the IB high schools in town. There are a few gated communities in the far northeastern part of the city but would make for a longer commute.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat1 View Post
Right now we're looking at the gated communities in the Harlem Heights / Cypress Lake area. Is that a good or bad area overall?
I would say it's a pretty decent area overall. Convenient to a lot of shopping and dining, close enough to the beaches, etc.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 13,579 times
And maybe you can advise a place with apartments? Thanks

Old 04-24-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingowner View Post
And maybe you can advise a place with apartments? Thanks
Best to remain south of Colonial in Fort Myers. Cape Coral doesn't have that same kind of dividing line, no Dunbar-like issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area