Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 09:50 AM

115 posts, read 249,210 times

Advertisements

Got bad news Thursday night seller wants out of purchase contract. We've met all contingencies. Have shelled out $1100 for inspection, appraisal and condo app. We're approved through underwriting.

We're sick. The seller lives in Canada. He simply wants to return our EDM and call it a day.

This seems not right. I think he owes us more than our deposit. Also...both agents have put a lot of work into it.

I guess we could sue...I'm clueless and venting. How does a person sue a seller whose primary residence is in Canada under Florida law. Beats me.

This has been a nightmare from the start. He wanted a late close in May..so we agrees to that to allow him time to get his belongings.

Darn it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 10:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
A quick googling of your situation tells me that you should ask a lawyer. Don't assume you have no recourse. Sometimes the buyer does.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:28 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clc08 View Post
Got bad news Thursday night seller wants out of purchase contract. We've met all contingencies. Have shelled out $1100 for inspection, appraisal and condo app. We're approved through underwriting.

We're sick. The seller lives in Canada. He simply wants to return our EDM and call it a day.

This seems not right. I think he owes us more than our deposit. Also...both agents have put a lot of work into it.

I guess we could sue...I'm clueless and venting. How does a person sue a seller whose primary residence is in Canada under Florida law. Beats me.

This has been a nightmare from the start. He wanted a late close in May..so we agrees to that to allow him time to get his belongings.

Darn it all.

Don't let them back out. Contracts overwhelmingly favor the buyer, not the seller. I would talk to an attorney. You should be able to place a lien on the property, so the seller cannot sell it. You should be able to sue for punitive damages as well. It can become very costly for the seller if they refuse to sell to you. Take them through the wringer and demand compensation for future rent, inspection costs, time, mental distress, etc if they refuse to sell and look more into how to place a lien on the property, which I believe is possible as long as you've met all your requirements.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:59 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You should be able to place a lien on the property, so the seller cannot sell it. You should be able to sue for punitive damages as well. It can become very costly for the seller if they refuse to sell to you. Take them through the wringer and demand compensation for future rent, inspection costs, time, mental distress, etc if they refuse to sell and look more into how to place a lien on the property, which I believe is possible as long as you've met all your requirements.
As a real estate professional and former broker of an office, I agree with the above statement. You can sue for specific performance. you can also block future sales and get paid if they ever try to sell.

Sorry for their luck, even if they are in Canada. The court will be in Florida, not Canada.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:50 PM

I've read and researched. Looks like we, as the buyers, may be in the best position here just as you've said. Still, it's going to be messy and time consuming. My fear is that we will have broken our lease, loaded up the moving van and headed to Bonita Springs to find out the guy won't close. He won't tell us ahead of time...he simple won't close.

I'm the meantime, we can't look for another property because our EMD is in escrow and we have no way to come up with that kind of money. So...at the end of May,
There we sit. Our furnishings on a moving van and no place to live. We have a dog and cat. We know from experience it isn't easy to find a place..even with a short term lease, that would take our pet, plus, we would need to have our furnishings stored until we found a new home.

What a sad situation.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 24,306 times
Take your licks, move on, the legal complaint will cost you more than the recovery, and the seller knows that and you're not going to get a dime even if a Florida court rules in your favor, but then you have to file a judgment in FL and good luck on the enforcement of a foreign judgment filed in a domestic civil court in Canada.

Don't waste your time, move on!

Lesson: don't buy crap from a foreigner hanging out in FL

~juicy

Old 04-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyFredda View Post
Take your licks, move on, the legal complaint will cost you more than the recovery, and the seller knows that and you're not going to get a dime even if a Florida court rules in your favor, but then you have to file a judgment in FL and good luck on the enforcement of a foreign judgment filed in a domestic civil court in Canada.

Don't waste your time, move on!

Lesson: don't buy crap from a foreigner hanging out in FL

~juicy

This is a legitimate purchase through the seller's listing agent who has a very substantial and lengthy career...not a fly by night listing I saw on Craigslist or something. It was listed in the MLS....

Many properties for sale are owned by people who live in other countries. Are you saying one should not purchase a home if it is owned by a non-USA citizen????

Old 04-05-2021, 12:21 PM

207 posts, read 422,665 times
Don't mind the trolls on this forum. I agree with the legitimate posters. Take him to court if needed. Has his agent indicated to your agent what the issue is? Does he think he can get more money? Or not want to pay to get that electrical panel replaced? Or no longer wants to sell because travel restrictions are being lifted? I think the lien idea is a good one to prevent him from blocking the sale in the future without you getting compensated from it.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Don't agree to receiving EMD back , everything must be in writing. you have a contract. consult a lawyer and make your intent to follow through with the contract clear and if they do not perform then you will sue. your realtor should also sue for their commission even if deal doesn't go through as they were able to produce a willing and able buyer. Chances are they will probably not want to go through the hassle and will just continue with sale whether they like or not. don't make it easy for them to be a sleeze.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 15,717 times
I am not sure if it helps you because my situation happened in MA, 20 years ago. But I was in your seller’s shoes then. I signed a contract to sell my house and then suddenly something happens in my life that made me realized that selling the house was a really bad idea. I told my buyers ( who we had a very good relationship with until then) and they informed me that after consulting with their lawyer, they intend to enforce the purchase/sale agreement.. I consulted my own lawyer and he confirmed that I basically have no choice - I have to sell. And I did. So, yeah - certainly talk to a lawyer, you are probably in better shape than you think and your seller may be in for a nasty surprise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: