Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,965 times

Advertisements

Considering moving my family to Babcock Ranch. We've toured the community and it may be a good fit for us. Since it is such a new community, I was looking for others to share their experiences with it- buying and building a home, travel in and out of the immediate area, general opinions on it. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 AM

88 posts, read 85,851 times
Looked at Babcock also....thought it was too isolated for shopping and entertainment.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,965 times
It is isolated, which appeals to us. My main concern about the isolation is medical care- EMTs, proximity to doctors' offices and hospitals.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,323,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletSky View Post
It is isolated, which appeals to us. My main concern about the isolation is medical care- EMTs, proximity to doctors' offices and hospitals.
When you toured the community, what was their plan for a hospital in the community?

We drive out there to golf frequently since the rates are good and the course is in great shape.

When I was working remotely last year we considered moving there since the school is great, the community is solar powered and they are building lots of new stuff around (including a Publix shopping center). Prices have gone up a lot since we looked over a year ago, wouldn't make sense for us now. But we do love the little town center. I'm sure in 5-10 years the place will look 10000% different

Old 04-25-2021, 09:10 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,163,665 times
When I see the commercials it sounds like a place I would like to live in especially if you could walk to almost everything.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:12 AM

207 posts, read 417,625 times
I liked the idea of a solar community and they had some really cute housing designs but the cost and location couldn't justify it in my mind. If it was a bit closer to Punta Gorda, it would be a lot more desirable as as at least you'd have access to some things. The area directly south of Babcock Ranch in Fort Myers is not an area I would want to have to go into on a regular basis. If you're just looking for solar, Lennar had a solar community up in the Bradenton area (east Manatee County, former farm fields and far from beaches but at least slightly closer to civilization than Babcock Ranch).

I don't know your current living situation, but unless you stay home most of the time and don't rely on getting out of the house to shop and eat, you'll probably grow very weary of having to drive a distance to get to anything outside of Babcock Ranch.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:03 AM

88 posts, read 85,851 times
Can someone tell me the benefit of the solar at Babcock?.It sounds great but I believe that the city is still on the grid and everyone is billed according to their usage just as you would from the power company.
The developer benefits from the solar power as it is returned to the grid on sunny days but don't know if there is any savings to the homeowner.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:35 AM

207 posts, read 417,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Can someone tell me the benefit of the solar at Babcock?.It sounds great but I believe that the city is still on the grid and everyone is billed according to their usage just as you would from the power company.
The developer benefits from the solar power as it is returned to the grid on sunny days but don't know if there is any savings to the homeowner.
You're right - they still have to pay for their own electricity usage there according to their FAQs: "Florida Power and Light (FPL) provides electricity for the town. Residents pay a typical electric bill. The electricity is not free just because it is solar, but residents do not have to pay a premium for using solar power." [Sourced from https://www.babcockranch.com/about-u...ked-questions/.] So no real cost savings and you pretty much negate your green living by having to drive a distance for most everything unless you have an electric vehicle.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:37 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,169,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
I don't know your current living situation, but unless you stay home most of the time and don't rely on getting out of the house to shop and eat, you'll probably grow very weary of having to drive a distance to get to anything outside of Babcock Ranch.
They are going to get a Publix soon and with Publix will come CVS and Walgreens and restaurants and banks and fast food places on and on and on. You're going to see rapid development within the next 5 to 10 years. It's best right now for remote workers or homebodies who don't mind a little drive once or twice a week for shopping or dining out. But within 10 years when they have 10,000 residents or more, you'll see all the suburban comforts of home.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 11,028 times
My opinion re: Hospital- You need to consider your age and health condition and the type of care you are likely to need, especially with regard to situations when prompt medical and surgical treatment will prevent death, if that is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area