U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,924,745 times

Advertisements

you should ease into it - start spending vacation time in the area to start getting an idea of whats available, then come down for a month and check out areas more specifically, then rent month to month, then lease for a year, then buy (maybe, if you are sure everything is perfect)...anyway, one formula if circumstances permit

Just south of Fort Myers beach is the free dog beach dogpark on the south end of Lovers Key.

Speaking of HOAs, If they could it would be better to have a dog section of an HOA so that the dog and non-dog people are not mixed up with each other. I have neighbours who hate dogs who when seeing an unpicked up poop, are SURE who did it and are ready to make a public arrest, just on a hunch. The other area of conflict is pool behavior. Put a dog in the pool, and then the fireworks really get going!

My vacation home is South Fort Myers in the Daniels corridor. Close but not too close to airport, very safe and gated, 10 minutes to Daniels and Trail shops and restaurants, 20 minutes to beaches, islands, Naples maybe 30 minutes away, low risk flood zone. About half of the residents are locals, half of them have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,390,684 times
Lehigh Acres might be a good bet...lots of diversity,affordable housing

Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 AM

101 posts, read 327,647 times
central fl and south east more diverse, born and rasied in fl, I lived in dallas for awhile that was diverse, then came to SWFL, not diverse and It seems very segerated, I have to go to the hood to get my girls hair done

Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,433 posts, read 5,282,431 times
We just did a drive from the South end of Ft. Myers Beach (where we are staying) past the Lovers Key Park, though Bonita Beach and onto Estero. Drove through Fountain (forget the rest of the name) and was not impressed. Bonita Beach looks real nice. Any sub-$2K condos or townhouses in that area worth checking out?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM

455 posts, read 876,784 times
I wouldn't recommend anything in or south of Estero. Here's an article from Naples Daily News. If you want a good indication of racial intolerance, just read the 100+ comments after the article.

Scuffle over confederate flag leads to arrest of Lely High studentĀ» Naples Daily News

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
fwi

56 posts, read 140,271 times
If mixed races makes you happy, then you should be looking at Fort Lauderdale/Miami, NOT the western side of the state (except for some parts of Tampa/St Pete).
For the most part every city from Sarasota to Naples is white and it is all suburbia.
The only place in Florida you will find that has the international big city vibe is the FLL/MIA area.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,430,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We just did a drive from the South end of Ft. Myers Beach (where we are staying) past the Lovers Key Park, though Bonita Beach and onto Estero. Drove through Fountain (forget the rest of the name) and was not impressed. Bonita Beach looks real nice. Any sub-$2K condos or townhouses in that area worth checking out?
If you are talking about Fountain Lakes in Estero on Route 41, most of the 2 and 3 bedroom condos and villas are listed for under $200,000 now. The single family homes are a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
What are the best towns to live in on the western part of fl? I am looking for a town that is very diverse as far as many different races, my kids are mixed and in new york you see a whole lot of different people which is good. I alsoi would like a niuce town with a good rep. Please tell me anything you can. I also, don't want to be in the middle of no where.
Since the above post mentioned Bonita Springs, I want to add that Bonita is not diversified at all. If the 4 or 5 Blacks who live there move out, the percentage will be zero. Same with Naples. Since there are a lot of Spanish speaking people, mostly Mexicans, people often call Bonita and Naples "diversified" but they're still mostly White cities.

Fort Myers is much more racially mixed, but it's also very segregated too. Sarasota is nice, but it's very conservative and attracts a lot of wealthy retirees.

You will find a lot more to do if you move to a suburb of Tampa where many young families live. Then you're just across route 4 from Orlando. You didn't mention politics, but you might find the West Coast of Florida to be extremely bigoted and politically myopic. I'm not saying everyone is like that, since there are many loving, kind people who live in SWFL. However, I found that the East Coast was much more diversified. Stick to the suburbs of the larger Metropolitan areas like Miami, Tampa or Jacksonville that attract a lot of working families.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,430,044 times
Quote:
If mixed races makes you happy, then you should be looking at Fort Lauderdale/Miami, NOT the western side of the state (except for some parts of Tampa/St Pete).
For the most part every city from Sarasota to Naples is white and it is all suburbia.
The only place in Florida you will find that has the international big city vibe is the FLL/MIA area.
I just read the other posts on this subject. I didn't see them before I posted.

Yes, I agree.

I was going to post this when I moved to Vero Beach, but I was afraid it would be misunderstood since I'm White. I rented a condo off of U.S. 1 in South Vero and when I went out to the grocery store and Walgreen's, I couldn't help noticing how many Blacks there were. I just never realized how homogeneous Naples & Bonita were, and after living there for 13 years, it was a surprise to move to the East Coast. After a few weeks, I didn't even notice.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,433 posts, read 5,282,431 times
Anyone have a knowledge of or opinion on Brendan Cove in Bonita Springs?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,231,576 times
Default You have never lived in Naples?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009 View Post
Sarasota florida is the most boring place on earth do not move your kids to a retirement community.. I have two girls 5 and 8 the HATE me for moving them here.
If you think Sarasota is a boring retirement community. My 30 year daughter left here after 4 months saying, "All I see are OLD PEOPLE".

She was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area