U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,677 times

Advertisements

I wanted to try this restaurant because i love italian,but this review was horrible.
rd lang are you going to rate this restaurant again?do you do that? They probably wont be around long after this review.I tried the place up the street boston pub and it was given an excellent rating and to be honest with you,i hated it...the fish was definitely previously frozen.I agree with you about (just miles from the Gulf of Mexico)you should have fresh fish!
Anyway im going to try wine and roses because i still believe everyone deserves a chance and i printed an online coupon for free wine with 2 entrees ...worse comes to worse i can injoy my wine! cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,984 times
Like I said, I could CARE LESS about a food critic, or a movie critic for that matter. I never listen to them at all, I go for myself. Then if it's not that good, I form my own opinion, and KEEP IT TO MYSELF, not pull a place down with a negative review.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 AM

76 posts, read 206,491 times
Last weekend, my wife and I decided to hit Wine and Roses based on the recommendation of a good friend and enjoyed one of the best restaurant experiences we've had since relocating to Florida.

It was Friday night, and the dining room was packed...so we decided to sit at the bar over drinks until a table opened up. But, the bartender, Danny, was so entertaining that we decided to just stick to the bar and eat there.

First, the drinks--although W&R had a pretty good wine list, we decided to get a couple of Martinis. I had the bartender's specialty, the "South Cicero" (named for his hometown) which tasted like a banana split, while my wife had a "Silver Shamrock", which tasted like an alcoholic version of the green freeze pops I had as a kid.

The bartender walked us through the menu, which was huge, and we started off by splitting an antipasto salad--which was so huge that it really could've been taken as a meal in itself.

Before our entrees arrived, we decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our meal, and Danny suggested a rich bottle of red that we'd had before at Harold Balink's place downtown, "Menage E Trois". This server knew how to properly present a bottle of wine, and it went off flawlessly.

For dinner, my wife had one of the specials for that night--Grouper Picatta, and she loved every bite of it. I got the Veal Parmigana. The portions were literally HUGE, and very flavorful...and neither of us left hungry or disappointed.

There wasn't enough room for dessert in either of us, but we enjoyed Danny's company enough to stay for some after dinner drinks, and he introduced us to the owner--Jeff Radke, who treated us like a couple of old friends he hadn't seen in twenty years.

In all, it was a great experience, and the exact antithesis to the stuck-up, overpriced vibe of way too many of the restaurants in the Fort Myers area. We're looking forward to becoming regulars there, and I'd recommend that place to anyone.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,386,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerBoyle View Post
I had the bartender's specialty, the "South Cicero" (named for his hometown) which tasted like a banana split, while my wife had a "Silver Shamrock", which tasted like an alcoholic version of the green freeze pops I had as a kid.
I wonder if that is Cicero, Chicago? My husband's from there.

Great review. It sounds like a fun place.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 AM

76 posts, read 206,491 times
Yeah--he proudly proclaimed (in the thickest Chicago accent I've ever heard) that he was from "the most beloved Town of Cicero, Illinois".

Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
Hey Tanner,

Based upon your review of I decided to take the wife there for our monthly "date", and you are right - Wine and Roses is awesome.

We did meet Danny at the bar, and he set us up nicely. I tried the "South Cicero" martini, loved it....and my wife had the best "Golden Margarita" she ever drank. It was a nice respite from waiting for our table. You were right about his accent. He sounded like a gangster from the movies.

The wife and I followed Danny's suggestion and got the special for the night, "Chicken Rebecca"--a chicken breast with fresh spinach, Canadian Bacon, and Provolone. The chicken was cooked perfectly. Our dinner was delicious, and the atmosphere was pleasant and unpretentious.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll likely be heading back again for our next "date."

PS - oops, forget to tell you. You MUST try their tiramisu!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,651,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerBoyle View Post
Last weekend, my wife and I decided to hit Wine and Roses based on the recommendation of a good friend and enjoyed one of the best restaurant experiences we've had since relocating to Florida.

It was Friday night, and the dining room was packed...so we decided to sit at the bar over drinks until a table opened up. But, the bartender, Danny, was so entertaining that we decided to just stick to the bar and eat there.

First, the drinks--although W&R had a pretty good wine list, we decided to get a couple of Martinis. I had the bartender's specialty, the "South Cicero" (named for his hometown) which tasted like a banana split, while my wife had a "Silver Shamrock", which tasted like an alcoholic version of the green freeze pops I had as a kid.

The bartender walked us through the menu, which was huge, and we started off by splitting an antipasto salad--which was so huge that it really could've been taken as a meal in itself.

Before our entrees arrived, we decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our meal, and Danny suggested a rich bottle of red that we'd had before at Harold Balink's place downtown, "Menage E Trois". This server knew how to properly present a bottle of wine, and it went off flawlessly.

For dinner, my wife had one of the specials for that night--Grouper Picatta, and she loved every bite of it. I got the Veal Parmigana. The portions were literally HUGE, and very flavorful...and neither of us left hungry or disappointed.

There wasn't enough room for dessert in either of us, but we enjoyed Danny's company enough to stay for some after dinner drinks, and he introduced us to the owner--Jeff Radke, who treated us like a couple of old friends he hadn't seen in twenty years.

In all, it was a great experience, and the exact antithesis to the stuck-up, overpriced vibe of way too many of the restaurants in the Fort Myers area. We're looking forward to becoming regulars there, and I'd recommend that place to anyone.
Wait a minute a resturant in SWFL that was PACKED? had great food? and was just a great experiance? and FUN?? CAN"T BE?? they are ALL going belly up!!

Just kidding of course. It's a great post, this is what I would like to see More of!! there are great place to go and have fun in SWFL!! carry on Mr.Cool

Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM

6,244 posts, read 3,413,419 times
Wow I haven't heard the name Jeff "Dude" Radke in awhile... I grew up with this guy as my mom co-owned Island Pizza (Tower) back in the 80's with Bob Hoffer.

Dude was a crazy guy, I can remember his mullet & Camaro RS back in the 80's growing up. He use to try and spike my pizza with hot red pepper :-(

I have no comments about any Cape Italian restaraunts other than Ariani's (Del Prado by TJ Maxx), which is excellent!

Also for great seafood try Red's out on PI as it's my favorite in the entire area. I've tried Grouper 6 different ways there and loved every kind!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,651,825 times
Mmmmm....grouper.....can't decide which I like better, grouper or tiramisu. We'll have to check this place out next time we're down.
mrs.cool

Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,984 times
My stepdad made a killer blackened grouper at his restaurant... I am still a New Englander and love my Haddock!!!! What is absolutely nasy is that Talapia crap. YUCK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area