Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 17,173 times

Advertisements

Hello out there- Im going to be moving to estero area in August to attend graduate school at FGCU. I have been reading about the high crime rate in ft. myers and am starting to get really nervous. I am looking for a safe place for myself to rent. I want to pay less than 850/month. Can anyone give me an idea as to the safest areas to rent. Im a big baby when it comes to feeling safe. I will also be bartending while attending school so if anyone has suggestions on some of the busiest bars/restaurants/golf courses that info would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM

172 posts, read 945,791 times
I'm starting grad school in August too! What are you going for?

If you want to bartend, you have a lot of options around FGCU. A friend of mine works at Bar Louie at Gulf Coast Town Center and she makes good money. Look for anything in there, or at Coconut Pointe because they are pretty close. There's also a Beef O'Brady's and a Stoney's located on Ben Hill Griffin, near the school.

As for places to live, aren't there some apartments right next to Gulf Coast Town Center that are for students? I think you get assigned roommates though. I'd also check into the Stoneybrook community. I know it's mostly homes for sale, but I'm sure they have rentals and I hear a lot about recent college graduates buying homes/condos over there. It's also close to I-75 so the commute to school shouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 17,173 times
Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about Bar Louie. I will def. check that out. As for school Im going to be starting the DPT program. "physical Therapy" and what are you going to school for? Have you lived in Ft. Myers for awhile? Is it really as boring as I've been told?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM

35 posts, read 144,336 times
Welcome to the area! I'm a grad student at FGCU as well. There are several places in the Gulf Coast Town Center that have bars. Check out the apartments next to the GCTC and Target.

FGCU is in a great area of Ft. Myers. It's a safe community. Students can walk around at night alone with no worries (I carry mase just in case though!). Stop worrying. =)

Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM

172 posts, read 945,791 times
Bar Louie is pretty fun. They have themed events pretty often, which breaks up the monotony a bit. Stoney's is (or at least used to be last year) the big FGCU hang out. Ale House opened a month before I graduated and it was slammed the few times I went.

I'm going in for Public Administration. I'm still hoping to get into law school but that'll be at least another year before I can afford to go.

I've lived here my whole life. I guess I can see how people think it's boring but I keep myself pretty busy. I think it depends a lot on how involved you get in work, school, and friends. Also, if you keep your eyes open, there always seems to be some event going on. Besides, if you ever find yourself getting bored, just plan a trip out of town. I think you can still get the unlimited pass to Busch Gardens.

When do you plan on getting down here?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,693 times
Default moving to ft myers area in august for school

Hey there, I am also moving to Ft myers area in August. I am going back to school for nursing ( hopefully @ FGCU) but for now i am taking prerequiste classes at Edison College.

I am in my early 30's. I am wondering if you had any luck with the apt search.... my parents have a place in naples that i will stay in the first 2 months or so... then i need to find my own place. I was hoping to spend about 600-700 as well. it looks as if it is alot easier to find a 2 bedroom and split it.....

if you didnt find a place already, is that something you would look into doing?
just throwing it out there...
I am headed there in 3 weeks to take a look around.... will let you know if i find anything....

Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
There are TONS of apartments right around FGCU and the Gulf Coast town center.. Most of the high crime youa re talking about occurs in Ft. Myers and N. Ft. Myers..FGCU is in Estero and closer to Naples and Bonita.. Its a very safe area, my husband used to live on Campus.. Had some great times there. There's lots to do in the surrounding area.. Enjoy it and have fun!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM

18 posts, read 71,166 times
Default housing around FGCU

check with FGCU housing dept and local newspaper ads. I do not recommend living further North than South Ft Myers. South of FGCU closer to Naples, the rents are higer. Around Estero, the roads are very clogged. Avoid traveling on U.S. 41/Cleveland especially in Winter season (Nov-April). If you are closer to I 75, it is a better commute but that highway can be jammed, too. There are some new housing developments of condos just South of FGCU that sometimes have a reasonable rate because owners can't sell their properties. I doubt that a desirable two bedroom, fairly new condo could be rented for less than $900.
Look at the map...you will see that it is difficult to go directly North and South around FGCU except on U.S. 41 and I - 75.
The Estero area is over-built with business, shopping malls and housing developments and the traffic if clogged. However, there are a number of bartending possibilities there for work.
I think you made a great choice to study at FGCU...I have grandchildren attending there and it is an excellent school.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 AM

5 posts, read 17,831 times
Default Housing By FGCU

Hey all! My boyfriend and I are looking to sell our condo for $215,000. Its in a gated community with a lot of other students of FGCU. The drive is very short approximately 7 minutes. Its a 2 bd/2ba plus den. Its a corner unit and they community has a nice pool,hot tub and workout facility. If any of you are interested in purchasing. Please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area