U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 AM

331 posts, read 1,431,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
older people make 200 bucks and save 150. kids spend it all. LOL
You really think so Go tell'em old folks about it. Just watch out so you don't get smacked upside your head in the process

They don't save any of that Publix income. All of it goes to the county, fpl, verizon, the grocery store where they work, an oil refiner of their choice, etc, etc. Lately they are not working for entertainment. There are just too many year-round things to entertain one's self in FL before you decide to bag groceries to keep busy. These folks are there because their other choice is getting out of Florida to a place with lower cost of living. They value this job much more than the youngsters, and their work ethic is much better. Employers know this too well.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,495,557 times
most educated young people i know that have careers or had careers are moving out of florida or actively trying to move out of florida. people are tired of hearing about their friends and family making 60-100k in careers up north....the hot weather gets old especially when u have to work at 7 eleven

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
what a second...how do u make 55k salary first year in a new york city school? they dont pay anything in NY city schools....ive heard of first yr teachers on long island, in nassau county with a masters degree making just over 40k....u in some private school or something?

I graduated college with 30 credits over what I was supposed to, so they're giving me like $7k more than base for that. Base is something like 47k now since we got a 5% raise in May. Then I get an extra $3400 a year because I work in a school where more than 90% of the kids get free lunch.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,495,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I graduated college with 30 credits over what I was supposed to, so they're giving me like $7k more than base for that. Base is something like 47k now since we got a 5% raise in May. Then I get an extra $3400 a year because I work in a school where more than 90% of the kids get free lunch.

wow, thats a really sweet deal, nice job. i dont know of any entry level, first yr jobs that pay 55k in florida...maybe a doctor, lawyer but nothing else. if u move to florida u will take about a 20k salary cut to start.....its difficult to make traditional money down here, u have to go outside the box.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM

553 posts, read 1,792,515 times
That extra 20 k gets eaten up real quick up north, New York is a very expensive place to live , dont kid yourself 60 to 100 k gets you nothing it is avg. sorry to burst the florida kids bubbles, but the grass is not always greener. It mite make you feel good to say I make 100 k but add up your bills and taxes and it sucks. Remember florida has no state income tax NY does. so if you make 2o an hour in florida it is alot more than 20 in new york. Why do you think athletes have there homes in florida, and why do they want to play for florida teams ? 5 mil a year in florida is alot more than 5 mil in New York.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
You really think so Go tell'em old folks about it. Just watch out so you don't get smacked upside your head in the process

They don't save any of that Publix income. All of it goes to the county, fpl, verizon, the grocery store where they work, an oil refiner of their choice, etc, etc. Lately they are not working for entertainment. There are just too many year-round things to entertain one's self in FL before you decide to bag groceries to keep busy. These folks are there because their other choice is getting out of Florida to a place with lower cost of living. They value this job much more than the youngsters, and their work ethic is much better. Employers know this too well.
Yea ok . someones cranky, did you miss the early bird ?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,246,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
That extra 20 k gets eaten up real quick up north, New York is a very expensive place to live , dont kid yourself 60 to 100 k gets you nothing it is avg. sorry to burst the florida kids bubbles, but the grass is not always greener. It mite make you feel good to say I make 100 k but add up your bills and taxes and it sucks. Remember florida has no state income tax NY does. so if you make 2o an hour in florida it is alot more than 20 in new york. Why do you think athletes have there homes in florida, and why do they want to play for florida teams ? 5 mil a year in florida is alot more than 5 mil in New York.
My sister-in-law lives in Queens. Her property taxes on a two family house are just under $2,000 a year. My property taxes are nearly $4,000 in Naples. She has a lot more property than we do here.

Forget homeowners insurance. Florida is a LOT higher than NY. Other things here more than make up for the difference in no income tax.

What we have found it is just about a wash between Naples at least and NY.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My sister-in-law lives in Queens. Her property taxes on a two family house are just under $2,000 a year. My property taxes are nearly $4,000 in Naples. She has a lot more property than we do here.

Forget homeowners insurance. Florida is a LOT higher than NY. Other things here more than make up for the difference in no income tax.

What we have found it is just about a wash between Naples at least and NY.
Not to argue but 2000. in taxes is very very very few maybe queens and brooklyn. I am in suffolk county taxes in my area are 7 to 12 k a year and we are in a very middle class nieghborhood. Suffolk is cheaper than nassau and other counties. I know people that pay 18 K in taxes, as for homeowners my sister lives in long beach new york and they were trying to cancel her because of huricanes , LOL she is close to the water , her homeowners is close to 2 k , My house in florida and it is in a flood zone is 1800. my ny property is 1000 homeowners and 7k taxes my florida is 3800 taxes . what one is cheaper ? Electric NY is way higher and we have 1000 dollar oil bills every 6 weeks in the winter. Gas in NY was 429 a gallon when you were paying 3.86. I was down I know. Car ins is more than double in NY, Cable t.v. has a monopoly on the island. I can tell you first hand about both , If your sister in law in Queens has more property than you , than you must have none. Have you ever been to NY ?? Have you ever lived Here ? Quite honestly it is not a wash.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm glad that you brought that up. It's a huge issue down there.

I mentioned it once on the Florida forum, a long time ago. Wow, was I slammed for it. I heard of a lot of "these people need to pay their tax and insurance bills." Well, maybe, but it was like that in 1998, when I first moved to Florida.

But here's the thing. Places like Walmart, Publix, love older workers. Yes, they love them because the are dependable and hard-working. Umm... and they also like them because they can pay them for 20 hours a week, not have to worry about healthcare, wages, etc.

More power to all of them, but it was a big issue, especially to the young folks and people that were just trying to make ends meet. Trust me, I worked at Walmart and Publix while I was down there and I was in my 30s and 40s.
Yea there starting on me . LOL I am gonna get hit in the head.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
wow, thats a really sweet deal, nice job. i dont know of any entry level, first yr jobs that pay 55k in florida...maybe a doctor, lawyer but nothing else. if u move to florida u will take about a 20k salary cut to start.....its difficult to make traditional money down here, u have to go outside the box.

I don't plan on moving to FL lol...even though my parents are there and I miss them, I would be poor as anything as a teacher there (I'd also miss NY too much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area