U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,736,402 times

Advertisements

It's no better here than when I got here in February when I accidentally moved back here. There are still no jobs worth a crap. 1 job, 200 applicants!!! great odds.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,228,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Not to argue but 2000. in taxes is very very very few maybe queens and brooklyn. I am in suffolk county taxes in my area are 7 to 12 k a year and we are in a very middle class nieghborhood. Suffolk is cheaper than nassau and other counties. I know people that pay 18 K in taxes, as for homeowners my sister lives in long beach new york and they were trying to cancel her because of huricanes , LOL she is close to the water , her homeowners is close to 2 k , My house in florida and it is in a flood zone is 1800. my ny property is 1000 homeowners and 7k taxes my florida is 3800 taxes . what one is cheaper ? Electric NY is way higher and we have 1000 dollar oil bills every 6 weeks in the winter. Gas in NY was 429 a gallon when you were paying 3.86. I was down I know. Car ins is more than double in NY, Cable t.v. has a monopoly on the island. I can tell you first hand about both , If your sister in law in Queens has more property than you , than you must have none. Have you ever been to NY ?? Have you ever lived Here ? Quite honestly it is not a wash.
I owned a home in Queens for 10 years, Smithtown for 20 years, and a year in Naples. Yes, my sister-in-law has more property. Have you ever seen homes in developments in Naples? They are one on top of each other in order to squeeze as many in as possible. Well, compare this $4,000 to $9,000 for half an acre there? You get what you pay for.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,717,453 times
Yes, it is tough! This is one of the many reasons why I work from home and recruit for restaurant/retail companies NATIONWIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfkmb49 View Post
Yes it is. It started off just in the construction area, but has since spread through most job sectors. I have many professional friends with undergrad degrees and/or masters degrees that can't even get interviews, despite amazing work experience & great references.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 AM

553 posts, read 1,790,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I owned a home in Queens for 10 years, Smithtown for 20 years, and a year in Naples. Yes, my sister-in-law has more property. Have you ever seen homes in developments in Naples? They are one on top of each other in order to squeeze as many in as possible. Well, compare this $4,000 to $9,000 for half an acre there? You get what you pay for.
Well yes I have, some developments are on top of each other and some are not. Naples is expensive but Imho is still cheaper, sorry.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 99,252 times
I agree 100% with the posters here. This is the WORST I have ever seen it since I moved here 13 yrs. ago. I am unemployed because of an evil woman who forced me to resign due to a physical handicap (yes, I am pursuing that!). I have a bachelors degree from a major university, certified in my specialty, many years of experience and, if I do say so myself, damn good at what I do. I've been unemployed since Jan. '08 and now my unemployment has run out. I am unable to get a job, even in my own field, as I'm "overqualified for xxx's budget." I've tried applying at every store, shop, retailer, you name it and nothing. I am now looking for a job ANYWHERE in the U.S.! This is humiliating as I am now forced to sell plasma to make gas money to go to interviews (when I can get any). My college degree is worthless now. The pay rates in SWFL have actually gone DOWN over the past few years as cost of living has skyrocketed. It's nothing short of criminal. Are we in a recession... no. We are in a DEPRESSION. And it appears no relief is in sight as Republicans fight extending unemployment benefits and more jobs move to Mexico. Maybe it's time to jump the border and go south, young woman!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,488,353 times
my sisters brother in law has a masters degree and experience and now works at the Olive Garden, his wife had to take a job at starbucks. apparently everyone is trying to get the hell out of swfla but they cant sell their homes. real bad scene

Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,736,402 times
WOW... I can relate to you to a "T". It has been since February, and I have been actively looking since, and nothing... It really sucks here. Just getting by with my job my step dad gave me at his dying restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishpit View Post
I agree 100% with the posters here. This is the WORST I have ever seen it since I moved here 13 yrs. ago. I am unemployed because of an evil woman who forced me to resign due to a physical handicap (yes, I am pursuing that!). I have a bachelors degree from a major university, certified in my specialty, many years of experience and, if I do say so myself, damn good at what I do. I've been unemployed since Jan. '08 and now my unemployment has run out. I am unable to get a job, even in my own field, as I'm "overqualified for xxx's budget." I've tried applying at every store, shop, retailer, you name it and nothing. I am now looking for a job ANYWHERE in the U.S.! This is humiliating as I am now forced to sell plasma to make gas money to go to interviews (when I can get any). My college degree is worthless now. The pay rates in SWFL have actually gone DOWN over the past few years as cost of living has skyrocketed. It's nothing short of criminal. Are we in a recession... no. We are in a DEPRESSION. And it appears no relief is in sight as Republicans fight extending unemployment benefits and more jobs move to Mexico. Maybe it's time to jump the border and go south, young woman!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,015,763 times
I knew someone who owns a hot dog stand and makes 100K a year. In SW Fla.

That's a lot of dogs, er hot dogs. Woof! Meow! Woof! Woof!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

I know plenty of people making good money in swf. and some after 6 months of moving there, with no real expierience doing anything. You have to think outside the box and try something you have no idea about, some people say I am a toilet salesman and that is all they go for, well how many toilet salesman do we need with this economy ?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I knew someone who owns a hot dog stand and makes 100K a year. In SW Fla.

That's a lot of dogs, er hot dogs. Woof! Meow! Woof! Woof!
remember the wiener girls ? LOL they did great in florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area