U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:35 PM

130 posts, read 558,709 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles. I can say, at least in the defense sector (security clearance required) w. respect to jobs in information technology, we've got a pretty good thing going @ least here in NWFL. Defense contractors large and small are hiring. 25 yr olds w. 3-4 years of experience earning in the low to mid 50's. For my friends who have decided to graduate off the CONUS, the salaries are nothing short of PHENOMENAL. Not Wall Street trader money mind you, but excellent enough to cover the $225k house w. pool, kids in school, momma being momma, harley, sportscar, and investments for retirement. Defense pays much higher than the local pay averages too. We get metro level/market rates taken from across the sectors vs. regionalized pay, in order to attract the talent. I myself worked in Atlanta & Silicon Valley for about decade before being able to come back and live according to the lifestyle to which I'd become used to. Thankfully, we have good sushi, thai, vietnamese, filipino, heck even GERMAN food here. Cost of living is much less than major metro, yet we get major metro pay. Life is good in Florida!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,984 times
And I have applied for "different" things other than what I have been doing for 14 years, but with so many people out of work, they pick the more experienced ones first. Been there, tried that, doesn't work.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM

130 posts, read 558,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
And I have applied for "different" things other than what I have been doing for 14 years, but with so many people out of work, they pick the more experienced ones first. Been there, tried that, doesn't work.
What type of work do you do/are qualified for?

Have you thought of working abroad?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM

I am HVAC certified(AC certified for use of refrigerants by the EPA). I have also been a machine operator, and auto repair, but not certified in auto repair. Have retail experience, warehouse... NOTHING here in SWFL. I can get these jobs up in Mass., they are available, so that is where I am headed soon. Right now I am toughing it out working at my step fathers restaurant, which is also struggling.

Working abroad?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 AM

331 posts, read 1,430,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreeze View Post
Have you thought of working abroad?
Do you mean something harmless, like fishing or canning in Alaska? Or are you talking about the place with the biggest embassy in the world?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,584,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreeze View Post
Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles. I can say, at least in the defense sector (security clearance required) w. respect to jobs in information technology, we've got a pretty good thing going @ least here in NWFL. Defense contractors large and small are hiring. 25 yr olds w. 3-4 years of experience earning in the low to mid 50's. For my friends who have decided to graduate off the CONUS, the salaries are nothing short of PHENOMENAL. Not Wall Street trader money mind you, but excellent enough to cover the $225k house w. pool, kids in school, momma being momma, harley, sportscar, and investments for retirement. Defense pays much higher than the local pay averages too. We get metro level/market rates taken from across the sectors vs. regionalized pay, in order to attract the talent. I myself worked in Atlanta & Silicon Valley for about decade before being able to come back and live according to the lifestyle to which I'd become used to. Thankfully, we have good sushi, thai, vietnamese, filipino, heck even GERMAN food here. Cost of living is much less than major metro, yet we get major metro pay. Life is good in Florida!
That's great for you, but for some, a security clearance is not something they can get for all sorts of reasons, both good & bad.

My dh & I were both officers in the military & have/had security clearances. Due to what my dh did, he had a TS. It was a hell of a process to get.

Being a civilian in the defense sector is a very, very good job to get. It is just that it is not like walking into WalMart & applying for it. There are some real sh$tbags civilians that work in the def sector as well as those who are very good & hard workers. Most we've all run into are prior service of some sort or have a specialty area the govt was needing.

For many, SWFL is home or they want to make it home. It's a shame for those who do want to live there that the job market is the way it is & opportunities are so slim.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM

553 posts, read 1,790,770 times
I have not even moved down yet full time and i have three job offers ??????? not to offend anyone, but maybe we should all look in the mirror here. Is it the way we present ourselves ? My son is makeing between 5kand 8k a month , at something he had no idea how to do before he started 2 months ago, and he has been in SWFL for a year, he has had numerous jobs untill he landed this one. And not one did he have expierience at and he is only 24. There are jobs people go get them. going and slapping 20 apps and resumes in to places will get you squat most likely, this is not wallstreet . Go and bang down some doors and talk someone into giving you a shot and go above and beyond. Dont work for three days then go fishing for two.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Easy for you to say, come on down and see how great it is.... I have NEVER had trouble finding work here UNTIL this year... Of course making the mistake of returning to Florida didn't help... Don't critcize people, unless you know the whole story. Are you from New York????????????? Get off my case.......

Many people will tell you the same about here, it's not too good right now.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,584,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
but maybe we should all look in the mirror here. Is it the way we present ourselves ?
Yes. And do you see how you are presenting yourself here as one who has the answers to everything?

Great that YOUR situation is the exception to the norm. Great that YOUR family member has had success. Is it necessary to say "I have 3 job offers" as if others who post here are a bunch of idiots who can't figure out how to tie their shoes?

Sometimes people just need to vent. On these sites, there is a level of anominity (spelling is wrong). Sometimes people are justing looking to get things off their chest & ***** & complain. This site is their chance.

Yep, some people are lazy & want it done for them. Some are trying with all they have & are just not having any luck. Some random posters come on here with ridiculous stories that half the time are a bunch of crap & not even true. Then there are others who are being almost too truthful.

To be so quick to judge & throw out how awesome you are...maybe think before you "speak"....

Most are of enough intelligence to know there are jobs out there. Right now, though, in SWFL, it's tough for many. Maybe instead of saying what a superhero your son is, maybe say how lucky he is for what he has found & wish others the luck with their search. They already feel crappy enough, they don't need you to pound it in more.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,386,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Most are of enough intelligence to know there are jobs out there. Right now, though, in SWFL, it's tough for many. Maybe instead of saying what a superhero your son is, maybe say how lucky he is for what he has found & wish others the luck with their search. They already feel crappy enough, they don't need you to pound it in more.
Amen, sister, amen!

And I wish all the best to my friends in southwest Florida. I feel so bad I could cry. I know that you are all awesome people and are doing your very best. Chins up to y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area