U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM

331 posts, read 1,430,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Yea there starting on me . LOL I am gonna get hit in the head.
Oh yeah, and now 30 to 40-somethings are gonna take their turn

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,736,402 times
THANK YOU!!!!! You are one of my bestest friends on here!!! Along with Hiknapster... You sure know how to post, WOW!!! Nice post.

It must be nice to be perfect out there to the "other" poster from the state south and west of Connecticut. I have tried everything down here, been through a lot since I got back. Well, now as it turns out my entire family is moving back to Mass in October. Florida has gone sour. FOR US. Not for everyone. Some people are doing great and love it here, I'm not one anymore. I have full respect for th people here making it, and doing good. I'm not saying it's the worst place on earth.

As for the poster forementioned, I have been in the same line of work for 14 years, never had any problem getting hired on the spot, making $45,000 a year, free rent, paid utilities. Well with the way it is, those jobs are not as plentiful as the years past. I am certified in air conditioning, even those jobs are not easy to get. I don't care about your son making $5000 a week, and is it a legal job to begin with??? I mean, come on... EVERYONE has different situations. Don't come at me with your philosophy on looking in the mirror.

Right now I am working in my familys restaurant to make ends meet, see I am doing something I have "never done before", come to find out I am good at it too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Yes. And do you see how you are presenting yourself here as one who has the answers to everything?

Great that YOUR situation is the exception to the norm. Great that YOUR family member has had success. Is it necessary to say "I have 3 job offers" as if others who post here are a bunch of idiots who can't figure out how to tie their shoes?

Sometimes people just need to vent. On these sites, there is a level of anominity (spelling is wrong). Sometimes people are justing looking to get things off their chest & ***** & complain. This site is their chance.

Yep, some people are lazy & want it done for them. Some are trying with all they have & are just not having any luck. Some random posters come on here with ridiculous stories that half the time are a bunch of crap & not even true. Then there are others who are being almost too truthful.

To be so quick to judge & throw out how awesome you are...maybe think before you "speak"....

Most are of enough intelligence to know there are jobs out there. Right now, though, in SWFL, it's tough for many. Maybe instead of saying what a superhero your son is, maybe say how lucky he is for what he has found & wish others the luck with their search. They already feel crappy enough, they don't need you to pound it in more.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,378,975 times
HOLD EVERYTHING. I just realized something.

Isn't the poster a mortgage broker? Oh yes, yes he is.

Of course he has three job offers. You get paid on commission.

I could go to anywhere in the country, right now, and get a job, immediately, selling cars. Dealers will hire you. It doesn't make a darn bit of difference to them. You either sell cars or you don't.

Same with mortgage brokers.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,994,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
HOLD EVERYTHING. I just realized something.

Isn't the poster a mortgage broker? Oh yes, yes he is.

Of course he has three job offers. You get paid on commission.

I could go to anywhere in the country, right now, and get a job, immediately, selling cars. Dealers will hire you. It doesn't make a darn bit of difference to them. You either sell cars or you don't.

Same with mortgage brokers.
Exactly

Old 06-20-2008, 07:13 AM

553 posts, read 1,790,513 times
LOL OK maybe I deserved some of this. Sorry folks . just trying to get you guys out there. and no my offers were not with mortgage companies. I was just pointing out there are jobs out there. and all of you are capable of getting them. It is all in our mind and attitudes. I wish all good luck. even the boston fan. LOL

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,736,402 times
Go Red Sox!!!! And Patriots!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,616,366 times
How about them CELTICS

Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Go Red Sox!!!! And Patriots!!!
At least we got one from you this year . LOL .Good luck to you . and sorry it did not work out. Maybe when things turn down in florida it will benefit all. The economy just stinks period. keep a positive attitude and good things will come to you.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Oh yeah, and now 30 to 40-somethings are gonna take their turn
I am a glutten for punishment. LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,343,926 times
Default Back From Cape - My thoughts on Job Situation

I finally logged on after my trip to Cape Coral/Fort Myers and Yes even Lehigh Acres to take a look firsthand and the fabulous real estate deals that I saw on the internet.

I have funny stories about my trip, but I'll try to stay on the topic of jobs in this thread. This is an anecdote: On the plane on the way down, I got friendly with the guy next to me.

My husband was not happy because he says I talk too much, but I digress. This guy was from my state up here in the N.E. and he had retired and moved to Ft. Myers. He's over 55. Hopefull he won't sue me.

Anyway he said he paid too much for his house in Fort Myers and he can't sell it. He seemed very unhappy. He said he thought he would be able to get part-time work to supplement his retirement income.

Sadly, that did not seem to be the case, and he was having a rough time.

If you are demographically inclined, this is a white man and he did skilled blue collar work before retiring. He sounded fairly educated, though, but I'm not sure if he had a college degree. It's pretty easy to get a skilled blue-collar job in our state that pays well, has benefits etc. Apparently it's SUPER hard to get a job like that in Ft. Myers.

This could be because of age, competition from foreign workers or both.

Like many of the ppl who posted on this forum, he also is unable to sell his house and move back and is disappointed with his choice. He seemed to feel like he was stuck and not able to enjoy his retirement.

During our stay, I tried to look around to see where people would work there. I didn't see any big companies at all. I saw TONS of strip malls, restaurants and convenience stores, though.

I read that it's easy to get a "healthcare" job, but I'm not sure where. I did not see any hospitals on the way to Sanibel, Lehigh Acres or Cape Coral from Fort Myers.

My 3 cents (no spell checking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
I am retired and financially comfortable. Because working is irrelevant to me, I have not experienced the tough times some people are facing. I am shocked and saddened by some of the things I've read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area