U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,667,444 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
when you live in NYC. You can take the bus, train, or WALK to just about anything. Think of all the money you save on GAS, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Yeah, things balance out.

Yeah, I gave my car to my sister last December because I hardly ever used it in NYC. It saved me a ton of money. I pay about $60 a month for my unlimited use metrocard.

 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:14 PM
 
553 posts, read 1,792,515 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
when you live in NYC. You can take the bus, train, or WALK to just about anything. Think of all the money you save on GAS, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Yeah, things balance out.
Not everyone in NY lives in the city. All of us who do not, pay way more in gas then you. Can you afford 1k a month on gas ? because there are people here who do just that to get to and from work. 2 people working that is. We pay more per gallon than florida just because of taxes. We just got slammed 2 bucks more a pack for cigarettes , the cheapest being 6.50 a pack. That is just NY taxes ,4.50 to 6.50 overnight. I know you all will say quit , but that is just an example , everything is more in NY except water. As the one poster wrote we do have unions and union jobs , with better benefits , but we all pay for it in some way. Teachers get paid more here and there benefits are way better , but who pays for it ? We do with our Taxes and they are more than any of you think. On LI 8 to 18 k a year is the norm. So yea you better make more at every job just to pay your expenses. Is 20 an hour good pay in florida ? because alot of people do not even make that here . But they have to somehow pay the piper. Everyone thinks you come to NY and you get paid big money, sorry not the case. I would rather make 10 bucks an hour in florida then 10 bucks an hour in NY, What about you? and be honest here. Minimum wage is .36 an hour more in NY but we have state tax so that kills that and if you are in a union take out weekly dues also, ouch! and believe it or not people do get paid minimum wage here and some are college grads. PT to boot . because that happens with union jobs. What about the union carpenters , they get paid great all year only to get laid off every winter around the holidays. When you need the money the most with high heating bills and holiday expenses. Now I am not saying it is all rosey in Florida because it has been known for years to have crappy employement . But lets all not think that up north everybody is makeing big bucks and liveing the high life. One more thing If you all want higher pay then you have to take what comes with it , like higher taxes and higher utilities and everything else you do, because if you get paid more to slice cold cuts the guy buying them is going to pay more for the product. And for the school teachers try telling all those retirees your taxes are going to double or triple so our pay can go up. They dont care about you or the kids ,there kids are grown and there grandkids schooling is being paid by some poor slob up north with high taxes. How dare you screw them and want proper pay, They worked there whole life to retire on the cheap. They hate the fact that people under retirement age move down and want to actually get paid. LOL Why do you think there is all those 55 and over communities ? They only want you to fix there car or plumbing , and cheap too. LOL UH OH I am gonna get hit in the head again. LOL
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,596,509 times
Reputation: 3194
NY is not FL

FL is not NY

Why keep insisting that apples can be compared to oranges. The circle does not fit in the square peg.

Enough of the pissing fest. It's old.

You like what you like. Move on.

And, as a side note, cheaper doesn't always mean better.

Personally, I'll pay more for quality & class Hence, my opinion on what our SWFL experience was like.

As for folks paying those taxes to keep schools running...oh...the baby boomers are hitting retirement age & want to take their vacations & buy their RVs, so forget about mil levies passing in about 1/2 this country. That's a sad fact everywhere. The proper way to fund education is a sad fact in just about every state.

As for the job market, well, when Starbucks starts laying off workers, you know something is up. Buy a cup of coffee or a gallon of gas. Your choice.
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,596,509 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Not everyone in NY lives in the city. All of us who do not, pay way more in gas then you. Can you afford 1k a month on gas ? because there are people here who do just that to get to and from work. 2 people working that is. We pay more per gallon than florida just because of taxes. We just got slammed 2 bucks more a pack for cigarettes , the cheapest being 6.50 a pack. That is just NY taxes ,4.50 to 6.50 overnight. I know you all will say quit , but that is just an example , everything is more in NY except water. As the one poster wrote we do have unions and union jobs , with better benefits , but we all pay for it in some way. Teachers get paid more here and there benefits are way better , but who pays for it ? We do with our Taxes and they are more than any of you think. On LI 8 to 18 k a year is the norm. So yea you better make more at every job just to pay your expenses. Is 20 an hour good pay in florida ? because alot of people do not even make that here . But they have to somehow pay the piper. Everyone thinks you come to NY and you get paid big money, sorry not the case. I would rather make 10 bucks an hour in florida then 10 bucks an hour in NY, What about you? and be honest here. Minimum wage is .36 an hour more in NY but we have state tax so that kills that and if you are in a union take out weekly dues also, ouch! and believe it or not people do get paid minimum wage here and some are college grads. PT to boot . because that happens with union jobs. What about the union carpenters , they get paid great all year only to get laid off every winter around the holidays. When you need the money the most with high heating bills and holiday expenses. Now I am not saying it is all rosey in Florida because it has been known for years to have crappy employement . But lets all not think that up north everybody is makeing big bucks and liveing the high life. One more thing If you all want higher pay then you have to take what comes with it , like higher taxes and higher utilities and everything else you do, because if you get paid more to slice cold cuts the guy buying them is going to pay more for the product. And for the school teachers try telling all those retirees your taxes are going to double or triple so our pay can go up. They dont care about you or the kids ,there kids are grown and there grandkids schooling is being paid by some poor slob up north with high taxes. How dare you screw them and want proper pay, They worked there whole life to retire on the cheap. They hate the fact that people under retirement age move down and want to actually get paid. LOL Why do you think there is all those 55 and over communities ? They only want you to fix there car or plumbing , and cheap too. LOL UH OH I am gonna get hit in the head again. LOL
See some of your points...finally

Just PLEASE..be specific on what part of NY & what part of FL. PLEASE. I'd live in PG again if the other choice was Buffalo or Syracuse. But, I'd live in Dobbs Ferry before I'd live in SWFL again.
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 PM
 
553 posts, read 1,792,515 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
See some of your points...finally

Just PLEASE..be specific on what part of NY & what part of FL. PLEASE. I'd live in PG again if the other choice was Buffalo or Syracuse. But, I'd live in Dobbs Ferry before I'd live in SWFL again.
I hear you. And what you say is true about what parts of each state. I would love to live in the Hamptons by the ocean LOL, but I cant afford it . So swf will have to do. I know everyone complains about snowbirds but who has it better ? really north in the summer south in the winter, I wish I could keep both houses.
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Amherst, MA
3,636 posts, read 8,751,042 times
Reputation: 1755
See we CAN all just get along on here. We all like different things, I'm over the pissing fest too. I will try to be a little more positive on Florida too, it does have it's positives... I just know I need to be back in Massachusetts. And yes even New England has it's negatives too. Noplace is perfect.
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,246,578 times
Reputation: 1661
Default I lived in Smithtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Not everyone in NY lives in the city. All of us who do not, pay way more in gas then you. Can you afford 1k a month on gas ? because there are people here who do just that to get to and from work. 2 people working that is. We pay more per gallon than florida just because of taxes. We just got slammed 2 bucks more a pack for cigarettes , the cheapest being 6.50 a pack. That is just NY taxes ,4.50 to 6.50 overnight. I know you all will say quit , but that is just an example , everything is more in NY except water. As the one poster wrote we do have unions and union jobs , with better benefits , but we all pay for it in some way. Teachers get paid more here and there benefits are way better , but who pays for it ? We do with our Taxes and they are more than any of you think. On LI 8 to 18 k a year is the norm. So yea you better make more at every job just to pay your expenses. Is 20 an hour good pay in florida ? because alot of people do not even make that here . But they have to somehow pay the piper. Everyone thinks you come to NY and you get paid big money, sorry not the case. I would rather make 10 bucks an hour in florida then 10 bucks an hour in NY, What about you? and be honest here. Minimum wage is .36 an hour more in NY but we have state tax so that kills that and if you are in a union take out weekly dues also, ouch! and believe it or not people do get paid minimum wage here and some are college grads. PT to boot . because that happens with union jobs. What about the union carpenters , they get paid great all year only to get laid off every winter around the holidays. When you need the money the most with high heating bills and holiday expenses. Now I am not saying it is all rosey in Florida because it has been known for years to have crappy employement . But lets all not think that up north everybody is makeing big bucks and liveing the high life. One more thing If you all want higher pay then you have to take what comes with it , like higher taxes and higher utilities and everything else you do, because if you get paid more to slice cold cuts the guy buying them is going to pay more for the product. And for the school teachers try telling all those retirees your taxes are going to double or triple so our pay can go up. They dont care about you or the kids ,there kids are grown and there grandkids schooling is being paid by some poor slob up north with high taxes. How dare you screw them and want proper pay, They worked there whole life to retire on the cheap. They hate the fact that people under retirement age move down and want to actually get paid. LOL Why do you think there is all those 55 and over communities ? They only want you to fix there car or plumbing , and cheap too. LOL UH OH I am gonna get hit in the head again. LOL
for 20 years until last June. I lived in Queens and Manhattan for 38 years. I know all about LI and NYC.

We are actually making a little more here in Florida than on LI (not Manhattan salaries!), but you have so many added costs here (like Homeowners Association Dues) that I still say it is a wash as far as Naples and Smithtown. MAYBE it is a LITTLE less but not by very much when you literally sit down and add and compare notes.

Me, no. I never wanted to live in the Hamptons. Actually, in all 20 years I lived on LI, I hardly ever went to the beach, so why would I want to live there? It goes without saying it is the same in Florida.

Honestly, don't want to be a snowbird, OR live here year round either.

Just the way I feel. I guess not moving here for the weather/beaches makes a world of difference.

Praying for retirement when we can leave.
 
Old 07-04-2008, 05:37 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,891,844 times
Reputation: 17238
They worked there whole life to retire on the cheap.

Uh, no....we worked our whole lives and budgeted, worked overtime, went to night school, paid for your kids whether or not we had any, and we MOVED TO LOCATIONS THAT HAD JOBS if we couldn't find one we found acceptable.

Bashing retirees who move here [WITH MONEY] is just silly.

Money Markets have gone from 5.25% in December to abruptly 2.25% the first quarter of this year, if that. Some weeks under 2%.

Thanks from all us retirees parking money in there temporarily, for that nice little salary cut. I'm guessing you guys don't think about retirees paycuts since you have no money in the bank to follow the interest rates on anyway.........in case you didn't notice it, a major part of the crash is compliments of state of Florida [being in the top three] allowing it's state to behave like a bunch of out of control teenagers these past few years with real estate and financial choices of spending fake equity and postponing even INTEREST payments on their mortgages putting it on the back end.

Allowing YOUR STATE to be hijacked by investors and bringing your already thin economy to a crashing halt.

It's the fault of all who graduated Florida schools with no skills, parents paying lip service to education, and unskilled workers and others who remained here knowing it was a low paying state catering to tourism, and are too uninspired to improve yourselves or move elsewhere. Not to mention allowing your politicians to destroy the state with decisions favoring tourism, big business and buying into the fake real estate boom.

We in the North East knew it was a disaster in the making, is Florida a different country speaking a different language (well yep they are as a matter of fact lol)....that you guys didn't see it coming. Maybe it was that low school achievement that prevented citizens from using common sense.

Wondering about the voting records here. I bet that these demonic retirees are the major demographic who votes, everyone else is busy going to the beach and complaining from their cash register job at Walgreens. How's the turnout at city council and other government meetings every month? I'm guessing pathetic.

Nope, I would hardly mention retirees as a source of your woes, look within. And hope that retirees never decide to turn away from FL or your state is in deeper crap then.....Just yesterday at Pier One the college student clerk (native Floridian) making 8.00 per hour was so excited she was going to buy a brand new freaking Honda Element. No talking her out of it.....She drives two hours per day. .....look around at the choices being made by everyone OTHER THAN retirees.........
 
Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 AM
 
431 posts, read 2,001,817 times
Reputation: 311
Default They're lucky to be employed at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
my sisters brother in law has a masters degree and experience and now works at the Olive Garden, his wife had to take a job at starbucks. apparently everyone is trying to get the hell out of swfla but they cant sell their homes. real bad scene
Oh crap, and Starbucks just announced they will close down 600 stores, which translates to about 12,000 workers. Most of those will be in CA and FL. Of course, because the housing bubble has popped in those areas and who in their right mind will pay $5 for a cup of coffee when their house is about to go into foreclosure?! It's pretty ugly out there. I left FL to Atlanta hoping to find a better job market. It was slightly better but we are not swimming in jobs here either. I would love to quit my job right now but I know that I can't. It would be financial suicide. Gosh, I can't wait to see this economy pick back up but i'm afraid it's a long ways down the road.
 
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM
 
553 posts, read 1,792,515 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
They worked there whole life to retire on the cheap.

Uh, no....we worked our whole lives and budgeted, worked overtime, went to night school, paid for your kids whether or not we had any, and we MOVED TO LOCATIONS THAT HAD JOBS if we couldn't find one we found acceptable.

Bashing retirees who move here [WITH MONEY] is just silly.

Money Markets have gone from 5.25% in December to abruptly 2.25% the first quarter of this year, if that. Some weeks under 2%.

Thanks from all us retirees parking money in there temporarily, for that nice little salary cut. I'm guessing you guys don't think about retirees paycuts since you have no money in the bank to follow the interest rates on anyway.........in case you didn't notice it, a major part of the crash is compliments of state of Florida [being in the top three] allowing it's state to behave like a bunch of out of control teenagers these past few years with real estate and financial choices of spending fake equity and postponing even INTEREST payments on their mortgages putting it on the back end.

Allowing YOUR STATE to be hijacked by investors and bringing your already thin economy to a crashing halt.

It's the fault of all who graduated Florida schools with no skills, parents paying lip service to education, and unskilled workers and others who remained here knowing it was a low paying state catering to tourism, and are too uninspired to improve yourselves or move elsewhere. Not to mention allowing your politicians to destroy the state with decisions favoring tourism, big business and buying into the fake real estate boom.

We in the North East knew it was a disaster in the making, is Florida a different country speaking a different language (well yep they are as a matter of fact lol)....that you guys didn't see it coming. Maybe it was that low school achievement that prevented citizens from using common sense.

Wondering about the voting records here. I bet that these demonic retirees are the major demographic who votes, everyone else is busy going to the beach and complaining from their cash register job at Walgreens. How's the turnout at city council and other government meetings every month? I'm guessing pathetic.

Nope, I would hardly mention retirees as a source of your woes, look within. And hope that retirees never decide to turn away from FL or your state is in deeper crap then.....Just yesterday at Pier One the college student clerk (native Floridian) making 8.00 per hour was so excited she was going to buy a brand new freaking Honda Element. No talking her out of it.....She drives two hours per day. .....look around at the choices being made by everyone OTHER THAN retirees.........
Calm down I am not bashing no one ! god bless retirees. It is a fact though that they retired to florida because it was cheaper and for warm weather year round. And who says we have no money invested ? All I hear from retirees is I live on a fixed income ,Hellloooooo we all do ! LOL if a guy makes 500 a week that is fixed . You are from the north east correct ? when did you move away ? The whole country jumped on the housing market craze not just florida . It is starting to hit the north east as well , it just took a little longer. people jumped all over the helocs ( home equity lines of credit ) 100k for 250 a month . Now they have to pay the piper. I am sure it was alot of us people from up north that screwed florida with the investing. And your colors really shine through with the we paid for your kids weather we had them or not comment. That is exactly the thinking that will keep teachers salaries down in Florida. We hear that complaint from older people here . we dont have kids in school , so why should we pay school taxes ? That is BS !!!!!! We all pay taxes for things we feel we should not, welcome to the USA . I dont think it is better anywhere else. I love older folks , just not the crabby self centered complainers that think the world owes them, remember every day you wake up and see the sun is a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top