U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 AM

91 posts, read 315,162 times

Advertisements

Actually, before I moved down here in '06, I did my research for an entire year prior to moving and Tampa was #1 and the Cape was close. I know some folks that moved to the Tampa area and I moved here. I just felt that Tampa was too busy for my taste and SWFL was more my speed. Because of the reports of the Cape being so far up on the list of thee place to move, alot of people did. Now it's thee # 1 place for foreclosures and decline, in a matter of 2 years.
The bublbe burst and the economy changed...drastically. Most of the jobs trickling outward from construction and real estate have dried up, so those folks that were living large while the boom was on, are mostly out of work. Florida is the vacation capital of the world and even with that, now that the economy is in the toilet, there aren't as many vacationers coming, either, so it's like a double whammy that the economy is especially harder here, now.

What makes it tough is that anyone who bought homes in the 3 - ish years where prices were out there, I mean, you couldn't touch anything for under $350k in '06, is this period of time was a huge growth of people coming in for the fortune and paradise living, now are stuck with mortgages they can't afford and people have lost their jobs and the stress levels for these people must be amazing!! So these same folks that were apart of the growth are now going or gone and the Cape is left with a boat load of foreclosed homes and jobs have dried up. It will come back again, maybe not as fast, but it will re-bound, eventually.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,345,263 times
Default Spanish?

What about jobs for Spanish speakers? Are they any better?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,427,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
Actually, before I moved down here in '06, I did my research for an entire year prior to moving and Tampa was #1 and the Cape was close. I know some folks that moved to the Tampa area and I moved here. I just felt that Tampa was too busy for my taste and SWFL was more my speed. Because of the reports of the Cape being so far up on the list of thee place to move, alot of people did. Now it's thee # 1 place for foreclosures and decline, in a matter of 2 years.
The bublbe burst and the economy changed...drastically. Most of the jobs trickling outward from construction and real estate have dried up, so those folks that were living large while the boom was on, are mostly out of work. Florida is the vacation capital of the world and even with that, now that the economy is in the toilet, there aren't as many vacationers coming, either, so it's like a double whammy that the economy is especially harder here, now.

What makes it tough is that anyone who bought homes in the 3 - ish years where prices were out there, I mean, you couldn't touch anything for under $350k in '06, is this period of time was a huge growth of people coming in for the fortune and paradise living, now are stuck with mortgages they can't afford and people have lost their jobs and the stress levels for these people must be amazing!! So these same folks that were apart of the growth are now going or gone and the Cape is left with a boat load of foreclosed homes and jobs have dried up. It will come back again, maybe not as fast, but it will re-bound, eventually.
This is a great post about how fast things changed. For a few years I have posted what went from a strong market to a bubble. I was born in southwest Florida and have seen a few booms here. THIS WAS NOT A BOOM!!! Now the flip side is very bad. Yes the market will come back in time. But first we need jobs!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,738,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ_011 View Post
So I don't really get what's missing here. Why would Cape Coral be ranked #1 in the USA for job growth last year, but everyone seems to say it's tough here? Just looking for opinions of people that actually live in Cape Coral. Thx
Maybe that was based on professionals like the other poster mentioned, like Doctors, Lawyers, and such..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
What about jobs for Spanish speakers? Are they any better?
ALOT of my friends in the Ft. Myers area said jobs there offered extra money for speaking a foreign language but then after they were hired they denied the extra money. Be weary of that scam.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 AM

That's the thing. When you watch the statistics about growth, be it jobs, crime, etc. you have to look of what the growth is. For example, the growth for the Cape really meant the construction industry, real estate, which also meant, electricians, plumbers, teachers, pool cleaners, landscapers, you name it. If it fed off the inital growth factor of the real estate market and new construction. Those WERE the jobs that spidered out from that. Business or corporate jobs just are not here, they never were from what I can tell. The only jobs remaining are for those who have been established in these fields and had enough business sense to plan for a downturn and ride it out. Like Firemed's post, he has seen it come and go, so others that have lived here long enough to know that life can be cyclical with it's growth patterns. I guess that's true for most areas, but when you live in a town long enough, you can smell it coming, I guess.
I am not sure that the Cape would ever have a piece of Corporate America. It seems that the Cape is where people live and Ft Myers is where people work...from the Cape. Maybe that's why it's nick named, Cape Coma, LOL. I always thought that was funny. There are actually fun things to do out here, but working in anything outside of hospitality, retail or restaurants, the city just doesn't appear to draw the type of companies that would offer jobs that pay substantially better than service type of jobs. If you drive up the Pine Island corridor, you see that Pet Smart just opened and many other bigger chains like Target and some new restaurants, but if you notice that the office buildings that have been built, ready for business styled companies remain vacant.

Also, from what I can tell about bi-lingual jobs that pay more, that used to be the case, especially for Spanish speaking, but now living in a bi-lingual world, more or less the pay scale isn't generally higher, since there are now more people for those jobs now. Like anything else, there really is a higher supply than demand, so the pay would reflect that these days. Just my $.05 (inflated from $.02 )

Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,427,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
That's the thing. When you watch the statistics about growth, be it jobs, crime, etc. you have to look of what the growth is. For example, the growth for the Cape really meant the construction industry, real estate, which also meant, electricians, plumbers, teachers, pool cleaners, landscapers, you name it. If it fed off the inital growth factor of the real estate market and new construction. Those WERE the jobs that spidered out from that. Business or corporate jobs just are not here, they never were from what I can tell. The only jobs remaining are for those who have been established in these fields and had enough business sense to plan for a downturn and ride it out. Like Firemed's post, he has seen it come and go, so others that have lived here long enough to know that life can be cyclical with it's growth patterns. I guess that's true for most areas, but when you live in a town long enough, you can smell it coming, I guess.
I am not sure that the Cape would ever have a piece of Corporate America. It seems that the Cape is where people live and Ft Myers is where people work...from the Cape. Maybe that's why it's nick named, Cape Coma, LOL. I always thought that was funny. There are actually fun things to do out here, but working in anything outside of hospitality, retail or restaurants, the city just doesn't appear to draw the type of companies that would offer jobs that pay substantially better than service type of jobs. If you drive up the Pine Island corridor, you see that Pet Smart just opened and many other bigger chains like Target and some new restaurants, but if you notice that the office buildings that have been built, ready for business styled companies remain vacant.

Also, from what I can tell about bi-lingual jobs that pay more, that used to be the case, especially for Spanish speaking, but now living in a bi-lingual world, more or less the pay scale isn't generally higher, since there are now more people for those jobs now. Like anything else, there really is a higher supply than demand, so the pay would reflect that these days. Just my $.05 (inflated from $.02 )
The big thing about Cape Coral was the city did not need alot of jobs. Most of the people in the Cape were retired. The service jobs kept the city running. If you look back the age of the people in the cape was 65+, thats why it was Cape Coma, home of the nearly dead and newly wed! The few young did the service jobs. Now the age is 40 something and the people need to work. Heathcare was a big market with all the older people. Now all of the heathcare is run by the same people! Just look at all the little doc in the boxes that are open (look at the name on the buildings LMHCS) Yeah, the area has changed alot in the last few years.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Well that explains it!! I was wondering about the nick name, makes sense. Yup, the demographics certainly has changed from what you are saying. I've made some friends that are true natives since way before the city incorporated and say the same thing. The town I came from also went through major changes over the recent years. It used to be a sleepy little sea shore with clam digger houses and old money sea cottages for people from NY but it has turned into McMansionville. I go there and hardly recognize it anymore. Such a shame.

You are exactly right, this is where people come to retire and where younger people work in jobs to take care of them. This is also where people come down for the winter and have the money to support the restaurants and retail, golfing and marinas.

That's why I said earlier, I don't see this area as being geared toward attracting corporate or business, doesn't make sense, really. I hear people complain about this all the time, why isn't business here, where are the "good" jobs? Because........you didn't research and find out that the jobs that were here were relative to the real estate and new construction industries and are now gone and anything related to that. So what is left? Too many people, not enough jobs and inflated houses that deflated with no one to buy them, even at the more realistic prices for people who work in service fields still can't afford. Phew, this is going to be some up hill climbing.

The thing for me, though, is I'm not retirement age...yet and wanted to get down here and do fun things and not worry about breaking a hip, LOL. I am a northerner, not rich, not greedy, not rude and don't have a get rich quick agenda. I just wanted to enjoy my life with honest work, decent pay and enjoy the weather, the beach, yada yada. So far, so good. I've come off the fast track and managed to stay within my field and reach my goals. I still think CC is a nice spot for these things. It's not for everybody, that is why researching is important. I think CC has great potential. Hopefully, it will stay somewhat of a sleepy city rather than become a hub bub like a Miami or something like that. THEN I would have to leave the area altogether. I think that is the key, really, if you think about it. When you have changes and you will anywhere, the older locals resent it and move or stay and complain all the time...OR go with it and adjust and just remember the good old days. I don't know, there is no eutopia, anywhere you go but you can find a place that fits your lifestyle as much as possible. This is it for me, so far...
Hopefully things will pick up with the new administration and figure out how to get back on track with the economy.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,790,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
This is where he got a job after being out of work. I lived here before and he didn't, so knew fully well what it was like.

I am a Fall person. I love the leaves, the apple and pumpkin picking, the cool temps. Someday...........
Ahhhhh! The fall it is the best is'nt it ? to bad the winter comes after it. LOL I love the change to cool weather for awhile, but I dread the cold weather, it makes me miserable. I am an outdoors guy.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM

63 posts, read 228,413 times
It all depends on what industry you are in. There are other jobs that don't even get mentioned - like I.T. jobs here. We do actually have some corporations in the area but you will see a large number of the jobs in Collier & Lee counties are in health care, and most of those are filled.

I recently parted from a non-profit healthcare system down here and found a job with a for-profit medical company. It was the best thing that could have happened for me. My field is I.T. and they are looking to fill other positions. My hope is that more corporations will open offices or start-up down here in the next 10 years.

The biggest problem here was the sudden demand for service jobs and then the sudden drop-off. It is always a sign of better times when you can't fill jobs versus when you have to turn crowds of people away.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,345,263 times
What's the name of the company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area