Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 AM

171 posts, read 621,940 times

Advertisements

I am retired and financially comfortable. Because working is irrelevant to me, I have not experienced the tough times some people are facing. I am shocked and saddened by some of the things I've read here.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
It sure is that bad. We have the highest unemployment rate in nearly 20 years. I have been looking for a job in my career type since February, and there is nothing. Thankfully my step father owns a restaurant in Fort Myers and I am working there part time. It's better than nothing. But we are just getting by. And so is the restaurant, he is actively looking to sell it off, the economy is killing it.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM

35 posts, read 144,294 times
Yes it is. It started off just in the construction area, but has since spread through most job sectors. I have many professional friends with undergrad degrees and/or masters degrees that can't even get interviews, despite amazing work experience & great references.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfkmb49 View Post
Yes it is. It started off just in the construction area, but has since spread through most job sectors. I have many professional friends with undergrad degrees and/or masters degrees that can't even get interviews, despite amazing work experience & great references.
I think this summer will be the biggest migration outflow yet. With the kids out of school and the government sending out checks people are packing and leaving for areas the have jobs. I have never seen it this bad. when 300 plus people show up for a job listing it tells you things are bad.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I think this summer will be the biggest migration outflow yet. With the kids out of school and the government sending out checks people are packing and leaving for areas the have jobs. I have never seen it this bad. when 300 plus people show up for a job listing it tells you things are bad.
I dont know where they are heading. It sucks everywhere. College grads with degrees in Ny are working in grocery stores part time because they cant find work. If they get a state or county job by luck , they make crap money. The whole country is shrivaling up, the gas is crippling the economy, It is not just the houseing. We as a whole have let this happen. Hopefully the new pres will make some positive changes and kick the whole economy in the a** . Wheres reagan when you need him ? If it turns out to be obama we can get ready for a bigger mess than dopey put us in. an oil man runnlng our country and at the end of the term oil prices go through the roof .Hmmmmm I wonder if all those record profits are lineing his pockets in some way.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
College grads with degrees in Ny are working in grocery stores part time because they cant find work. If they get a state or county job by luck , they make crap money. D

If you work in inner-city areas it isn't too bad. I graduated with my teaching degree a year ago and found a teaching job in NYC right out of college. But those who look for teaching jobs in the suburbs or rural areas, it's extremely difficult. And the pay isn't low; I make 55k as a first year teacher. But in general, the job market is terrible. Most of my friends who graduated are working part-time jobs at grocery stores, like you said.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you work in inner-city areas it isn't too bad. I graduated with my teaching degree a year ago and found a teaching job in NYC right out of college. But those who look for teaching jobs in the suburbs or rural areas, it's extremely difficult. And the pay isn't low; I make 55k as a first year teacher. But in general, the job market is terrible. Most of my friends who graduated are working part-time jobs at grocery stores, like you said.

what a second...how do u make 55k salary first year in a new york city school? they dont pay anything in NY city schools....ive heard of first yr teachers on long island, in nassau county with a masters degree making just over 40k....u in some private school or something?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Compare those salaries with the ones in Lee County, and that's if you can get a job. Lots of college grads walking away empty-handed after applying for minimum wage jobs.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Too many people , not enough jobs . Florida seems kinda wierd to me , in the way you have 65 to 85 year olds working in stores , that in other places kids from 16 to 24 have those jobs. I wonder if that hurts ? usually kids do those jobs untill they are done with school and find something better, but at least they are working and feeding the economy. older people make 200 bucks and save 150. kids spend it all. LOL

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Too many people , not enough jobs . Florida seems kinda wierd to me , in the way you have 65 to 85 year olds working in stores , that in other places kids from 16 to 24 have those jobs. I wonder if that hurts ? usually kids do those jobs untill they are done with school and find something better, but at least they are working and feeding the economy. older people make 200 bucks and save 150. kids spend it all. LOL
I'm glad that you brought that up. It's a huge issue down there.

I mentioned it once on the Florida forum, a long time ago. Wow, was I slammed for it. I heard of a lot of "these people need to pay their tax and insurance bills." Well, maybe, but it was like that in 1998, when I first moved to Florida.

But here's the thing. Places like Walmart, Publix, love older workers. Yes, they love them because the are dependable and hard-working. Umm... and they also like them because they can pay them for 20 hours a week, not have to worry about healthcare, wages, etc.

More power to all of them, but it was a big issue, especially to the young folks and people that were just trying to make ends meet. Trust me, I worked at Walmart and Publix while I was down there and I was in my 30s and 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area